PDA

View Full Version : By choosing the premade characters gimp you?

Artaniss
09-13-2009, 02:01 PM
I am new and am a little overwhelmed with creating a custom toon. So I was wondering if I chose to go with a premade does that gimp you in the end game? Thanks...

Faelyndel
09-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't have enough experience to give you an informed answer but as far as I know, choosing a premade path won't necessarily gimp you, but you would likely be much better off customizing the build. Arcanticus' builds are great for new players. Generally, the premade paths are a way of discovering the ins and outs of a class before you re-roll and customize your skills/feats/etc. witha knowledge you learned while playing with the premade.

Asketes
09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
here's the thing.

this game is made to be a custom creation by the player.

choosing a cookie cutter build really limits the build to what the developers want..

also it does NOT work for 32 pt builds (you lost the extra pts as it does not incorporate those points into the build)

you do not get to choose your skills or your stats or your feats with the premade builds, until you tell the trainer to let you decide you will be at the mercy of the pre-developed build.

Bilger
09-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Premade characters are not the best builds but are good for new people to learn with and see whats available.

If new and don't understand alot then going premade is fine can always change feats or choose own path later on.

Once get good idea rolling your own and look on forums here and there are alot of good advice on builds and such.

There is also a new person build thread too lazy to find atm that will give you some decent ideas.

Vormaerin
09-13-2009, 05:26 PM
The "problem" with this game is that it is extremely customizable. The pre builds avoid making really bad mistakes. They are kind of like 'anti gimp' insurance. But they won't make the character that perfectly suits you and that you get the most out of. It will make the decisions and you'll have to guess why and how to make that work. Its a good way to play your first few characters, because you won't do something that blows up badly at lvl 6 or 8 that way and you'll have a chance to see how things actually work and what you like doing.

There are lots and lots of ways to do just about everything in DDO.

Cleitanious
09-13-2009, 05:31 PM
I recommend.

For your first character, choose the class and template (pre-made) build that most appeals to you. Play and learn the game. Learn what the skills, spells and feats do, and how they work in actual gameplay. Play a template character and level him to level 3 or 4 until you have an understanding of the stats, skills, feats and all of that and then re-roll him as a custom built char.