PDA

View Full Version : Class Advancement

najica
09-12-2009, 08:00 PM
I am just about to start DDO and I am trying to figure out when you can go to an advanced class. like in my case i want to be a necro. but do i have to be a wizard first? or a sorc? and at what lvl do i change into a necro from one of the first two? or do i just stay a sorc or wizard and learn necromancy spells? im very confused at this point ; ;

sirdanile
09-12-2009, 08:04 PM
ah advanced class, generally referred to prestige enhancements, are enhancements that are character defining which generally go up to 3 "tiers" one every 6 levels.

Unfortunately the only in game characters with these are Bard, fighter, paladin, ranger, barbarian, and rogue. (I might have missed 1)

So dont even worry about it! :D

najica
09-12-2009, 08:08 PM
ty for the reply, but im still up in the air about how to become a necro lol im wondering if you have to go to a necro trainer from being a wiz or sorc or just your wiz or sorc becomes one with the type of spells they use. also if this is the case, is it a wiz or sorc that can become a necro? i just want to start of in the right direction.

Visty
09-12-2009, 08:11 PM
if you want to become a necro it actually means getting spellfocus: necro and greater spellfocus: necro
also spell penetration and greater spellpen
and heighten as feats

then max your casting stat (int for wizards, cha for sorcs) and only choose necro spells

thats it when ppl talk about necros

ofc you can also go cleric or favored soul for a necro, it depends on what spells you want. might be useful to read yourself into the necro spells in the compendium (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Category:Necromancy_Spells)

Vormaerin
Not sure what you mean. A few classes that are harder to play without some knowledge of the game are sometimes called "advanced" classes, but there isn't any formal classification.

With the exception of Monk and Favored Soul (which are available immediately in the store), you can play any class you want immediately. There is no "necromancer" in the game as a class. There is a "path" called necromancer, which is a character building guide in the creation screen. But that is just a wizard where the game picks certain skills and feats for you instead of doing it yourself.

malaky
There is no necromancer class or prestige line for wizards/sorcerers. You can choose spells of the necromancy school on your wizard or sorcerer if you'd like.

najica
09-12-2009, 08:18 PM
ty! thats what i wanted to know. im going to looking into reading up on the spells and what not. My use of the word advancement was used to generalize most games where you rank up from a starter say... mage and go into a wizard or priest. i thought maybe that is how it works. i kinda figured from what i had read that you just learn necromancy spells and thats fine. i wanted to go sorcerer into a necro path and was making sure that would be correct. i really like undead pets and pet classes in general so necro is my #1 choice.

Vormaerin
09-12-2009, 08:50 PM
DDO does not have any pet classes and necromancers do not "summon" dead. They focus on death spells...things that drain stats and levels or just instantly kill you.

There are some summoning spells...one per level of spell... and they are the same for every caster class (except Rangers, who get their own set). None of them are undead. What you can do as a sorceror is get "Command Undead", which lets you charm undead you meet in quests for a few minutes.

Xaearth
09-12-2009, 08:59 PM
DDO does not have any pet classes and necromancers do not "summon" dead. They focus on death spells...things that drain stats and levels or just instantly kill you.

There are some summoning spells...one per level of spell... and they are the same for every caster class (except Rangers, who get their own set). None of them are undead. What you can do as a sorceror is get "Command Undead", which lets you charm undead you meet in quests for a few minutes.

There's also Create Undead, but last I heard that spell still hasn't recovered from being utterly nerfed into the ground.
(Sorry devs, but adding a long cooldown to a "pet" spell that has a chance of breaking its charm effect was a very stupid idea.)

bobbryan2
09-12-2009, 09:04 PM
There will also be a "Pale Master" prestige enhancement for wizards eventually. Combined with some necro focus feats and spells, that's about as necromancery as you're going to get.

But we haven't been given a definitive list of what Pale Masters are going to have in DDO. There will probably be some melee components as well as natural armor class bonuses. So it may be more of a melee/wizard type PrE.

Vormaerin
09-12-2009, 09:35 PM
There's also Create Undead, but last I heard that spell still hasn't recovered from being utterly nerfed into the ground.
(Sorry devs, but adding a long cooldown to a "pet" spell that has a chance of breaking its charm effect was a very stupid idea.)

Oops, you are right. I'd blotted that spell out of my mind :P Yes, he could use that once he is lvl 12. But its more likely to get him killed than help...

najica
09-12-2009, 09:39 PM
wow ; ; this is all sounding... bad. maybe ill just roll something else. :(

Vormaerin
09-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Well, sorceror is a perfectly good class. Its just not a pet class, which DDO doesn't have.

najica
09-12-2009, 10:08 PM
yeah ive noticed. if i did a caster it would be sorc. ill check it out. im always a pally and id like to NOT be that for once in my life. So i thought id go the opposite of good...

anyway, hows the clerics? op i hope?

Vormaerin
09-13-2009, 03:35 AM
Pretty much. Once you are experienced in how the game works, you can pretty much do it all with a cleric.

najica
09-13-2009, 11:27 AM
OK ty! one last thing. this is a bit off subject of the topic but I was wondering if you have skill points left over during character creation can you spend them later? do they stay with your character or no?

Junts
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
ty for the reply, but im still up in the air about how to become a necro lol im wondering if you have to go to a necro trainer from being a wiz or sorc or just your wiz or sorc becomes one with the type of spells they use. also if this is the case, is it a wiz or sorc that can become a necro? i just want to start of in the right direction.

There is not a necromancer class; if you want to be one, be a wizard or sorceror who focuses on necromancy spells (its worth noting there are not very many or very good undead summons in the game, though there are a lot of powerful necromancy spells: level draining and instant death spells which are very popular at high levels.

You have to spend all your starting skill points; you'll get 1/4 the number you had at creation every level (and that number willg row if your inteligence increases, ie, if you are a wizard putting your level ups in intelligence ... any other class, leveling up in int is a poor idea).