PDA

View Full Version : Beginner help

Thrift
09-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Hey, I downloaded this game just last night, and so far I am enjoying it. The people playing seem decent, and don't mind helping new people. I know nothing about D&D, I know it is a table top game, but I've never played it/looked into it. So I have a few questions ~

1) What are saves? I see it popping up everywhere, but I don't understand.

2) I am playing a cleric, I will be healing, will I need my friend to play as a Fighter/Paladin or will we be able to duo elite dungeons if he plays something like Barbarian or Rogue?

3) After running a few dungeons I found a few chests that only Rogues can open, so I kind of want to roll one. Would my friend and I be able to do elite dungeons if he was a Paladin and I was a Rogue? Would he be able to keep himself alive?

Thanks in advanced.

hydra_ex
09-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Hey, I downloaded this game just last night, and so far I am enjoying it. The people playing seem decent, and don't mind helping new people. I know nothing about D&D, I know it is a table top game, but I've never played it/looked into it. So I have a few questions ~

Saves are you characters ability to resist certain effects. Every saving throw has a certain DC (Difficulty Class) which you must reach or exceed on your saving throw in order to pass. To make a saving throw, you roll 1d20+save modifier. Your save modifier is comprised of 3 things: You classes Base Save Bonus (which increases with lvls) +Ability Modifier+Miscellaneous (Buffs, Luck Bonuses, etc.)

There are 3 types of saves. Fortitude (negates harm to the body [such as finger of death or flesh to stone]), Reflex (negates harm by evading an AoE effect or trap [such as fireball or a lightning trap]), Will (negates harm to the mind [such as a charm monster or hypnotism spell]). The key ability modifiers which are added to these saves are CON, DEX, and WIS, respectively.
*Note that some spells have "save partial" effects, where if the save is succesful, you take a lesser effect (A fireball is reflex half. Even if you save, you still take half damage). Some abilities (such as evasion) allow you to mitigate the secondary effect.

2) I am playing a cleric, I will be healing, will I need my friend to play as a Fighter/Paladin or will we be able to duo elite dungeons if he plays something like Barbarian or Rogue?
For many of the lower level quests, a rogue is a big benefit. Rogues, however, are hard to play at full potential unless there is another melee character is the group. Any other melee class is fine, however. Ranger/Rogue splits make a great first character.

3) After running a few dungeons I found a few chests that only Rogues can open, so I kind of want to roll one. Would my friend and I be able to do elite dungeons if he was a Paladin and I was a Rogue? Would he be able to keep himself alive?
At lower lvls, possibly. As you tend to the mid lvl (6-10) it becomes easier, then starts to turn back towards difficulty as monster damage increases significantly. A ranger/rogue can easily get these chests, and wizards/sorcerers can get the "knock" spell, which can unlock many things which rogues can.

Thanks in advanced.

Answers in red

If you want to make a ranger rogue, I recommend taking the rogue lvl first for skill points. Almost any race is good, although WF might be difficult to heal.

If one of you plays a WF melee, and another a WF caster, then you can heal yourself and him, as well as be a caster.

arminius
09-11-2009, 11:28 PM

Thanks in advanced.

I can't answer much about duoing, especially since the mechanics of not-full parties recently changed to make duoing easier. I would say that Cleric + Fighter/Paladin is definitely a more conservative choice than Cleric + Barbarian/Rogue. Barbarians and Rogues have really strong strengths and really weak weaknesses, making the Fighter or Paladin route more easily balanced.

"Saves" represents a heroic action that saves a life of the hero when a normal person would have snuffed it. The idea is that in the movies or books or legends, when the dragon breathes or the grenade bounces into the trench, etc., the hero always manages to twist or dive or through shear force of will manage to make it through somehow. Dungeons and Dragons characters get "saving throws" by virtue of their being exactly this sort of hero. The character's attributes and magic items determine how good their saving throws are. This is represented by a number that is added to the character's throw of a 20-sided die compared to the number that the attack represents.

Of course, sometimes the dragon just mows you down, or you can't scramble away from the grenade in time, and that is when you fail your saving throw.

_

7-day_Trial_Monkey
09-11-2009, 11:31 PM
1) If you read the description of your cleric's spell Command, you will see that it says:

Save: Yes

It will also have a DC: xx Will

Where xx is a number.

When you cast the Command spell (that will force your target to lie down on the ground and stay there) they get to roll a D20 (meaning a 20 sided die, meaning a random number from 1 to 20). They then add their Will save (on your character sheet along with Fortitude and Reflex save numbers) to the die roll. If the total is equal to or greater than your DC, the spell has no effect.

They saved against your spell.

The DC (difficulty chance of saving against your spell) is determined by the level of the spell, the level of the person casting it, your ability score bonus (for a cleric it's your wisdon modifier ie: 10 wis = 0, 12 wiz = +1, 14 wiz = +2..), and you can also get a bonus to your spell DCs from picking a feat.

Thrift
09-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Thank you for the save explanations.

My friend and I are going to do Cleric + Fighter/Paladin. Once we play some, and get more comfortable we will try different classes. Or maybe we can just find someone to open locks around our level, and just recruit them and be a trio. Thanks again.

Necronas
09-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi. I really wanted to try a solo rogue4/monk16. They say monk isn't too good as a 1st char, but i learn pretty fast, so I'll probably get used to it with the first 4 rogue levels.

I'm just worried that I won't be able to solo too well during the rogue stage. I hear they aren't exactly the best. And I don't have any real life friends playing, so I'm never really going to have a good group.

Also, for race, I'm kinda mixed between warforged and human

Goldeneye
09-12-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm just worried that I won't be able to solo too well during the rogue stage. I hear they aren't exactly the best. And I don't have any real life friends playing, so I'm never really going to have a good group.

1st off, welcome to the game!
You will find hundred of characters online, in your level range that are constantly looking for groups. I currently have a bunch of high-levels, I group all the time, and I have 0 of my real life friends playing this game, don't let that discourge you! Learn to use and love the Social Panel (Top, Left, click the faces) where you can look for groups in your level range.

Hi. I really wanted to try a solo rogue4/monk16
Tip: the trick with character builds is to find class combination that truly compliment each other. For a new player, I would recommend starting with a pure class (all levels of a single class), and as long as you have decent STR (16+) and Decent CON (14+), you will have enough to-hit, and hitpoints to play solo and normal quests without very much difficulty. Certain classes, such as barbarian or fighters are simpler to play, but classes like monks and rogues take a lot of effort and attention, but they have some great benefits of their own.