PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Barbarian 2hF skill points?

Greipr
09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi I'm creating a Dwarf Barbarian 18,12,16,9,9,6 who is going to use a ginormous axe. But I'm stuck at the skill selection. I have 12 points - where would you put them?

I hear tumble is good but that you don't need much. If I put 1 point in tumble I get a 1.5 mod and it only says 0.5 point assigned. Do I need to add another point?

Thanks!

Freeman
09-11-2009, 02:20 PM
On a barbarian with 12 skill points, I would probably max out Intimidate, Jump, and Balance. If you get knocked down(And you will often), Balance is used to determine how fast you get back up. Tumble is nice as well, and it wouldn't be a bad choice if you had any extra skill points.

As for the cost, if you look at your skill selection screen, you'll see a few skills at the top, then more farther down with an asterisk by them.(I think it is still there) The ones at the top are your Class skills, and they only cost one skill point per rank. If you spend a point, it is raised a point. The skills farther down are Cross-Class skills, and they cost one skill point per half rank. Keep in mind, a half rank does nothing, so you won't get any benefit until you are at the next even rank. Even at a higher cost, you can often get more benefit out of some cross-class skills than from your class skills, so don't let the cost deter you.

Mangloid
09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi I'm creating a Dwarf Barbarian 18,12,16,9,9,6 who is going to use a ginormous axe. But I'm stuck at the skill selection. I have 12 points - where would you put them?

I hear tumble is good but that you don't need much. If I put 1 point in tumble I get a 1.5 mod and it only says 0.5 point assigned. Do I need to add another point?

Thanks!

Put 1 skill point into tumble (this should make it say +1.5)

Put 4 skill points into intimidate (should make it say +2)

Put 4 skill points into balance (should make it say +7)

Put 3 skill points into jump (should make it say +7)

The 3 level up skill points you get each level go into Intimidate, jump and then balance. Once you reach +20 jump pump that extra skill point you have from jump into balance.

Freeman
09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Put 1 skill point into tumble (this should make it say +1.5)

Why the one point here? I was under the impression that they way it worked currently meant that you had to have at least one full rank to use it.

Mangloid
09-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Why the one point here? I was under the impression that they way it worked currently meant that you had to have at least one full point to use it.

Um he does have one full point to use it 1.5 is one full point plus a half. Granted he doesn't get the benefit from the half, but you don't really need that half a point.

Freeman
09-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Um he does have one full point to use it 1.5 is one full point plus a half. Granted he doesn't get the benefit from the half, but you don't really need that half a point.
Silly double-post

Freeman
09-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Points and ranks are not the same thing, and I should have referred to one full rnake earlier. I thought I remembered it being changed so that you had to have one rank to use it. If I'm wrong, then there's no reason for him to spend even the one point for a half-rank, so he should put the points towards Jump instead. Of course, if I'm right, then there's still no reason to spend one point for a half-rank, and he should still put the points towards Jump instead.

Mangloid
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
That will only work if you don't have to have at least one rank in the skill to use it. I thought I remembered it being changed so that you had to have one rank to use it. If I'm wrong, then there's no reason for him to spend even the one point for a half-rank, so he should put the points towards Jump instead. Of course, if I'm right, then there's still no reason to spend one point for a half-rank, and he should still put the points towards Jump instead.

LOL, dude! He gets ONE AND A HALF not just a half rank into it. So, it DOES give him 1 rank into tumble and thus that means he CAN use it. If you take the time to look, you'll notice that spending that single skill point gives him one and a half ranks into tumble. That's a whole rank and a half. Not sure how may other ways i can say it so you'll get that he CAN use it with just the single skill point expended. Not to mention I had him max out the number of skill points he could place into jump already.

EKKM
09-11-2009, 03:14 PM
LOL, dude! He gets ONE AND A HALF not just a half rank into it. So, it DOES give him 1 rank into tumble and thus that means he CAN use it. If you take the time to look, you'll notice that spending that single skill point gives him one and a half ranks into tumble. That's a whole rank and a half. Not sure how may other ways i can say it so you'll get that he CAN use it with just the single skill point expended. Not to mention I had him max out the number of skill points he could place into jump already.

This isn't right. He has to have one full rank in it, not the same as one point in it and certainly not the same as the total skill modifier. He needs to allocate 2 points to it to get the 1 rank required to use tumble.

The 1.5 is displaying because he has a 1/2 rank and +1 dex mod.

To use the skill it will need to display 2.0 or 1 rank +1 dex mod (2 points/2 + 1 dex mod)

Edit - to Op: tumble can be useful so put 2 of your 12 ranks there. Allocate the rest to intimidate, jump and balance as previously recommended.

Mangloid
09-11-2009, 03:20 PM
This isn't right. He has to have one full rank in it, not the same as one point in it and certainly not the same as the total skill modifier. He needs to allocate 2 points to it to get the 1 rank required to use tumble.

The 1.5 is displaying because he has a 1/2 rank and +1 dex mod.

To use the skill it will need to display 2.0 or 1 rank +1 dex mod (2 points/2 + 1 dex mod)

Edit - to Op: tumble can be useful so put 2 of your 12 ranks there. Allocate the rest to intimidate, jump and balance as previously recommended.

I stand corrected. I forgot about the +1 dex mod. Ok, so drop one point of jump and throw it into tumble. Problem solved. +1 rep to you :)

honkuimushi
09-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Yep, skills that require training(like tumble) require you to have 1 full point in order to use the skill. So for Tumble, you have to spend 2 points for 1 full rank in order to use the skill. I would recommend putting a few points in Tumble to reduce falling damage.

If you get your score up to 5 or so, you seldom lose hp from normal jumps and you can usually jump down from boxes and into small pits in quests without taking damage. I find not having to constantly switch to my featherfall item or heal falling damage makes playing a lot more fun.