PDA

View Full Version : What latency should I expect?

Lurkerabove
09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm playing on Cannith, and my "recieved" latency number is usually greater than 2000ms. Needless to say, that makes gameplay not as fun as it could be. When I swing at a barrel, for instance, it takes over 5 seconds for the hit to register and the barrel to break.

I want to know if this is normal for what people are experiencing on this server, and, if so, if the other servers have better latency. Can someone help?

Niclos
09-11-2009, 12:07 PM
2000ms seems very high. I sit at a little below 100ms. When i decided to play ddo and download a huge file that eats bandwith i'm at 1500-2000ms.

Harncw
09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
you have a 2000 milisecond latency...

as in it takes 2 seconds...

yes that is bad, something wrong, honestly I'm sorry to say it is probably on your side.

you might have a virus/malware
or maybe you need to change the string between the 2 tin cans

most realtime online gaming is pretty much useless above... what say 500ms latency?

EDIT:

BTW welcome to the game... all snarkyness aside I would look at your PC or your network connection.

Lurkerabove
09-11-2009, 12:37 PM
BTW welcome to the game... all snarkyness aside I would look at your PC or your network connection.

There are 2 PCs on the network, and they get the same results, whether or not they are connected simultaneously. My "sending" is at 200ms, but the recieving rarely drops below 1500. I'm glad to hear that other people have better results, and will endeavor to figure out what my problem is. Cable modem, here. Normally very good latency rates.

Hendrik
09-11-2009, 01:07 PM
There are 2 PCs on the network, and they get the same results, whether or not they are connected simultaneously. My "sending" is at 200ms, but the recieving rarely drops below 1500. I'm glad to hear that other people have better results, and will endeavor to figure out what my problem is. Cable modem, here. Normally very good latency rates.

Maybe try a trace-route to DDO servers. Can help you see if there are any problems with the route from you to DDO.

I avg 50-60ms on peak hours.

Junts
09-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm playing on Cannith, and my "recieved" latency number is usually greater than 2000ms. Needless to say, that makes gameplay not as fun as it could be. When I swing at a barrel, for instance, it takes over 5 seconds for the hit to register and the barrel to break.

I want to know if this is normal for what people are experiencing on this server, and, if so, if the other servers have better latency. Can someone help?

That's not normal, no, I'd look into a connection issue.

Yurtrus
09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Normal Latence for the East Coast " NJ and up to Boston " is about 25ms. If you are using XP or Vista you might want to give this a try:

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW IT UP. PLEASE BE CAREFUL

__________________________________________________ ________

This is not a joke. I have been suffering from major lag for a long time, and I have FOUND the problem.

The issue is something known as the "Nagle Algorithm". Anyways I'll keep it simple, this algorithm was created years ago as a way of allowing a steady stream of data to use low bandwidth. It was designed for older dial up modems to prevent online games and other things sending large numbers of small packets from filling up your entire bandwidth sending "ACK Packets". What this does is automatically delay your computer from responding to a single packet by 200ms which allows your computer to respond to multiple packets at once using less bandwidth. What this essentially does, is add up to 200ms to your lag. If you want to know more, do some googling; I don't want to bore you.

Anyways, if you are on a modern broadband connection, you can DRASTICALLY improve your Mabinogi lag by disabling this algorithm. I am unsure of how to do this in Windows Vista, but in Windows XP it is a simple registry edit.

1. Run Regedit
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameter s\Interfaces\
3. It gets tricky here, there be a bunch of Folders with letters and numbers under this Key, you need to find the one that is your network adapter. Browse them one at a time and look for the ones with similar settings to your network, such as if you have an IP address or a Gateway manually set. If you are unsure, you could always just try adding the line to all of them.
4. Add a DWORD named TcpAckFrequency This is Case Sensitive. If it is already there, skip to step 5.
5. Set the Value of the DWORD to 1
6. Reboot your PC

After this, the Nagle Algorithm will be disabled.

If you wish to test your lag, the best way to do it is by casting the Healing spell. Try casting all 5 charges of your healing spell before this fix, then after. I guarantee you'll cast them twice as fast after this fix if you have had lag issues or are living on the east coast.

For more information read: http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-nagle-algorithm.html
I was ready to quit this game due to lag issues until I found this. Now all of my problems have completely gone away. If this improves your game performance, please share!

This has already been fixed in Windows 7. Read before doing.. THIS MAY OR MAY NOT HELP YOU.

Lurkerabove
09-11-2009, 01:34 PM
thats a pretty radical fix suggestion! Anybody else experiencing severe latency like I describe?

Hendrik
09-11-2009, 01:37 PM
thats a pretty radical fix suggestion! Anybody else experiencing severe latency like I describe?

Do you have access to the Tech Support Forums here?

Might get more direct reply and possibly a solution(s).

Lurkerabove
09-11-2009, 02:18 PM
great advice, everybody, thank you! I am excited to be told that the problem is on my end, because that means I have a glimmer of a chance to fix it.

Hendrik
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
great advice, everybody, thank you! I am excited to be told that the problem is on my end, because that means I have a glimmer of a chance to fix it.

Be patient and a solution will come.

Do you have other latency issues with any other online gaming?

QuantumFX
09-11-2009, 03:12 PM
In windows:
Go to the “Run” command. (Or hit the Windows logo + R keys)
Type in “cmd” without the quotes and hit enter.
Type in “tracert gls.ddo.com” without the quotes and hit enter

This will show you your connection from your PC to the DDO servers. It will tell the number of hops, and if a particular hop is having trouble forwarding packets. If you see a particular high response time or it is taking over 30 hops, this could be your problem.

Uska
09-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Normal Latence for the East Coast " NJ and up to Boston " is about 25ms. If you are using XP or Vista you might want to give this a try:

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW IT UP. PLEASE BE CAREFUL

This is not a joke. I have been suffering from major lag for a long time, and I have FOUND the problem.

The issue is something known as the "Nagle Algorithm". Anyways I'll keep it simple, this algorithm was created years ago as a way of allowing a steady stream of data to use low bandwidth. It was designed for older dial up modems to prevent online games and other things sending large numbers of small packets from filling up your entire bandwidth sending "ACK Packets". What this does is automatically delay your computer from responding to a single packet by 200ms which allows your computer to respond to multiple packets at once using less bandwidth. What this essentially does, is add up to 200ms to your lag. If you want to know more, do some googling; I don't want to bore you.

Anyways, if you are on a modern broadband connection, you can DRASTICALLY improve your Mabinogi lag by disabling this algorithm. I am unsure of how to do this in Windows Vista, but in Windows XP it is a simple registry edit.

1. Run Regedit
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameter s\Interfaces\
3. It gets tricky here, there be a bunch of Folders with letters and numbers under this Key, you need to find the one that is your network adapter. Browse them one at a time and look for the ones with similar settings to your network, such as if you have an IP address or a Gateway manually set. If you are unsure, you could always just try adding the line to all of them.
4. Add a DWORD named TcpAckFrequency This is Case Sensitive. If it is already there, skip to step 5.
5. Set the Value of the DWORD to 1
6. Reboot your PC

After this, the Nagle Algorithm will be disabled.

If you wish to test your lag, the best way to do it is by casting the Healing spell. Try casting all 5 charges of your healing spell before this fix, then after. I guarantee you'll cast them twice as fast after this fix if you have had lag issues or are living on the east coast.

For more information read: http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-nagle-algorithm.html
I was ready to quit this game due to lag issues until I found this. Now all of my problems have completely gone away. If this improves your game performance, please share!

This has already been fixed in Windows 7. Read before doing.. THIS MAY OR MAY NOT HELP YOU.

+1 for trying to help the guy and maybe others.

gorloch
09-11-2009, 10:03 PM
My first question would be what kind of computer are you running, then check withthe connection issues.

PIXA