PDA

View Full Version : Decided to roll a Cleric

Maximumbob
09-11-2009, 07:05 AM
I hear there is a demand for healers and that Clerics are novice friendly.

What are my healing rotations going to look like as I go from lvl 1 to end game?

What are my DPS rotations going to look like while soloing from lvl 1 to end game?

Thank you.

Arianrhod
09-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Rotations?

I think I've heard that term from WoW, but not really sure what it means.
Clerics get a new healing spell every other level (Cure Light Wounds at first level, Cure Moderate Wounds at third, Cure Serious Wounds at 5th, etc.), and it's a good idea to set up a hotbar with each of those spells on it so you can use one while another is on cooldown. There are also wands of the lower level spells (up to Cure Critical) and scrolls of the higher level ones; If you're with a group that needs heavy-duty healing it's good to put those on the same hotbar for added cooldowns.

For damage-dealing, at lower levels most clerics are best off just meleeing. They have damage spells, but since spellpoints don't regen over time (have to use a rest shrine or leave the quest altogether), they often need to conserve their spellpoints for healing and buffing till they get over 10th level. At higher levels, they'll be using spells like Blade Barrier, Greater Command, Cometfall and the like, but chances are by the time you get there you'll have a pretty good feel for when to cast what.

Maximumbob
09-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Rotations?

I think I've heard that term from WoW, but not really sure what it means.
Clerics get a new healing spell every other level (Cure Light Wounds at first level, Cure Moderate Wounds at third, Cure Serious Wounds at 5th, etc.), and it's a good idea to set up a hotbar with each of those spells on it so you can use one while another is on cooldown. There are also wands of the lower level spells (up to Cure Critical) and scrolls of the higher level ones; If you're with a group that needs heavy-duty healing it's good to put those on the same hotbar for added cooldowns.

For damage-dealing, at lower levels most clerics are best off just meleeing. They have damage spells, but since spellpoints don't regen over time (have to use a rest shrine or leave the quest altogether), they often need to conserve their spellpoints for healing and buffing till they get over 10th level. At higher levels, they'll be using spells like Blade Barrier, Greater Command, Cometfall and the like, but chances are by the time you get there you'll have a pretty good feel for when to cast what.

I see so we have just basic heal spells. I figured we would have AOE Heals, Heal Over Time spells, cleansing spells for poisins. I get the feeling then that healing with Cleirc must be similar to healing with a Pally in WoW where they spam Flash of Light looks like we spam the same heal except we use all the ranks because of Cool Downs.

Visty
09-11-2009, 08:17 AM
I see so we have just basic heal spells. I figured we would have AOE Heals, Heal Over Time spells, cleansing spells for poisins. I get the feeling then that healing with Cleirc must be similar to healing with a Pally in WoW where they spam Flash of Light looks like we spam the same heal except we use all the ranks because of Cool Downs.

aoe heals come from lvl9 on with cure light wounds mass, lvl1 for cure medium wounds mass, etc
heal over time is available as divine healing enhancement which uses your turn attempts but that is only useful in the early lvls as later those 1d3 or whatever it gives back arent worth it anymore
also there are alot of spells to remove poison, deseases, curses, whatever but those are better cast from wands if you have the cash as you dont have to use them often and dont take up precious spellslots you can use for better things

Elsbet
09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
The heal over time effects are n't spells per se in the DDO sense. You can take enhancements to get turn undead. Once you have that, you can get other abilities to use that consume a use of turn undead, i.e. divine vitality (granting other spell point users spellpoints) or divine healing (a heal over time effect). There are a couple others, but I don't use them so I can't remember the names. I only use TU and DVs.

You will get damage dealing spells at each level you gain addtional spells (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc.), but their effectiveness varies based upon your enhancements, build and enemies you're using them against.

Arianrhod
09-11-2009, 08:22 AM

There are actually a lot more than that, I was focusing on the "bonus" spells clerics get whether they want them or not. In addition to single-target cures, there are mass cures starting at 9th level, raise dead, lesser restoration (for stat damage), neutralize poison (cures and protects against poison), remove paralysis (rarely used), remove disease & remove blindness (also fairly rarely used due to availability of potions and relative rarity of those conditions). There's not much in the way of heal-over-time (an enhancement line, rather than a spell), but enough other heals that it's not missed much.