PDA

View Full Version : what is the different between wiz and soc?

xhui
09-11-2009, 01:15 AM
what make wiz better than soc?
what make soc better than wiz?
a drow better take wiz or soc?

Athermal
09-11-2009, 01:29 AM
The benefit of a Sorc is more spell points and faster casting.

The benefit of a Wiz is more versatility with spellswaping and free Wizard feats at 1 and 5 and every 5 levels thereafter.

Drow make good Wizards or Sorcs. As do Warforged.

Warforged casters are tougher and self heal much easier than a drow sorc, but their dc's are lower.

sephiroth1084
09-11-2009, 02:09 AM
If you've never played a caster before:
-wizards are better because they allow you to try out different spells, though it costs money to buy (some not available), and scribe scrolls
-sorcerers are better because you have more mana to play around with, though even sorcs need to learn to be a bit frugal with their SP, especially early on

-wizards can adapt from quest to quest, bringing the best spells for the job, though they won't be able to help in every fight
-sorcerers will be able to contribute for longer, though their less optimal spells (sometimes) may cost more SP over the course of a few fights anyway

-WF are more survivable, but drow have better DCs on their spells. Personally, I've never tried a WF sorc, mostly because I dislike the idea of starting with a DC at -1 vs. everyone else.

Personally, I prefer wizards for the versatility: I rarely get bored playing my wiz, because I have so many options, though at end game, most spells are fairly useless, so the sorcerer has somewhat of an advantage there.

Also, as mentioned above, wizards get more feats. Specifically, wizards get (basically) 3 more feats than sorcerers do (most wizards take Mental Toughness and Improved Mental Toughness, which grant SP that the sorcerers already get, and then some, so they're a wash).

cdemeritt
09-11-2009, 02:11 AM
A sorc is Extreamly powerful with Lots of Spell points to really play with and a really good casting speed... but is limited list of spells, so choose carefully, you can only swap 1 spell every three days, and it costs gold to do so.
Sorcs use their Charisma score to determine Spell points and DC's (difficulty check). Charisma affects Haggle, Diplo, Bluff, and UMD (use magical device) scores (others as well, but not as important) Use of the feat Force of Personality uses your Charisma score instead of you wisdom score for your will saves.

A Wiz is a bit less powerful, and a little slower casting, (less Spell points as well), but get more spell slots, and can swap as many spells as needed at a shrine or tavern.
Wizzies use their Intelligence score to determine Spell points and DC's
They also get 3 extra metamagic feats (might be 4 now with cap at 20, not sure). These give Wizzies Extra feats over Sorcs.
Intelligence affects search, Disable devices, and repair skills (the heal for warforged ) Use of the feat Insightful reflexes uses your Intelligence score instead of your dexerity score for reflex saves (this is a biggie, as when you make your save vs reflex based damage, you take 1/2 damage).
Also Wizzies get to inscribe spells to their "spellbook" from scrolls, and once inscribed, they are available to be swapped in and out.

Drow are a race not a class. if you have access to drow, they are a solid choice for a race for either, as drow have bonuses to their stats that allow them to reach a 20 starting stat in either Charisma or Intelligence. But do take a big hit on their Constitution score (governs Hitpoints), that makes them a bit soft.

WarForged are A bit tougher, having a much higher initial Constitution score. But they Do take a hit to Charisma with a initial max of 16 and intelligences, with a initial max of 18. Repair is a arcane spell (heals WF), and is available to both Sorc. and Wizzies.

The differences in DC's will be noticable at higher levels, but not drastic. Whichever way you go, make sure you max your casting stat at creation. in the end you'll be glad you did.

TechNoFear
09-11-2009, 02:24 AM
and Sorc are one level behind Wiz in getting higher level spells. (Sorc gets 2nd lvl spells at 4th, wiz at 3rd, etc)

cdemeritt
09-11-2009, 02:24 AM
-WF are more survivable, but drow have better DCs on their spells. Personally, I've never tried a WF sorc, mostly because I dislike the idea of starting with a DC at -1 vs. everyone else.

Actually, if you are a wizzie A WF has a -1 DC vs Drow, but vs all the other races it would be the same. If you go sorc, a WF has a -2 DC vs drow, the same DC's as dwarf, and -1 DC vs all others. Yeah, it's there, and yes it is noticable, but it isn't like it it's unplayable.

Borror0
09-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Actually, if you are a wizzie A WF has a -1 DC vs Drow, but vs all the other races it would be the same. If you go sorc, a WF has a -2 DC vs drow, the same DC's as dwarf, and -1 DC vs all others. Yeah, it's there, and yes it is noticable, but it isn't like it it's unplayable.
What do you think "DC at -1 vs. everyone else" refers to? He clearly meant "DC at -1 vs. everyone else" and -2 vs Drow.

sephiroth1084
09-11-2009, 06:03 AM
What do you think "DC at -1 vs. everyone else" refers to? He clearly meant "DC at -1 vs. everyone else" and -2 vs Drow.
Hey Borr, can you follow me around and answer questions posed to me by the masses all the time? :D

Anyway, to clarify, drow have the highest possible DCs for either Wizards or Sorcerers, while humans come in second, then dwarves, elves, halflings and WF are tied for 3rd for wizard spells. For sorcerers, WF and dwarves come in last.

Also of note, though this is a long way off for any new build, are the capstones (level 20 enhancements) for each of the 2 classes. Wizards gain +2 Int (+1 to all DCs, about +25 SP) and a 1 point discount on all of their metamagics, including 1 point saved per level of Heighten.

Sorcerers, on the other hand, gain +10% damage to all of their spells, a 3% increase to spell critical rate, and a 0.25 increase to the multiplier on spell crits.

Essentially, this means that wizards will have a higher DC for their spells, and their spells will be cheaper (still not enough to close the gap in SP between the two), while sorcerers will be dealing more damage with their spells.

Noctus
09-11-2009, 08:08 AM
If you aer new to arcane casters, go with a Warforged Wizard. Best way to learn the ropes and which spell is good / not so good and in which situation which spell is best.

On a Sorcerer all you can do is guess at level up and wait a loooooOOOoooong time if you want to test another spell.

Max INT, high CON (16 min) , rest as you like.