PDA

View Full Version : What have they done to the Drow?

Izztyrr
09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Vendui riluss,
Elghinn ulu jal drill l' floh'len d'lil Orbb Valsharess.

Translation:
Hello everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

What in the world have they done to the Drow? Who the heck is Vulkoor? A scorpion-god? I knew there would be some changes to the race. In order better make them fit in to the game. But I didn't think they'd throw out just about everything. What happened to the matriarchal society of evil deceitful murders that we all know and love? I was thinking about spend some coin to unlock a Drow character. But I'm not sure if the way I like to play a Drow will fit in. So I've got some questions.

I'm somewhat of an RPer but I'm not hardcore. I don't sit in front of my in costume for example. If I were to play my character the way I'm used to doing. (claiming to be from the underdark, talking about Lolth, disliking Elves letting female Drow boss me around and such) Would I be an outcast? Are there any guilds that play Drow similarly to the way I do or wouldn't mind letting me do so?

Day/Night? I haven't left the starter island yet. It's seems to alway be daytime here. Does the mainland have day night cycles?

Role play server? Is there one? I'd like to find a group of mature, kind of laid back RPers to game with. I'd also rather not play solo as much as possible.

That's all I can think of for now.

Xal jal dos shinduago xellased zah'har kiel elghinnen. Usstan phlith dos jal.

Translation:
Thanks again for your time. See you in game.

Izztyrr

Gelandor
09-10-2009, 01:13 PM
For your reading pleasure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drow_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)#Drow_in_Eberron

Drow in Eberron are not the drow of forgotten realms, or most other D&D campaigns.

Tickler
09-10-2009, 01:17 PM
The Drow you are thinking of are the more traditional Forgotten Realms campaign setting Drow who worship Lolth and live in the underdark.

The Drow the of the Eberron campaign setting were originally a race enslaved by an advanced and ancient civilization of Giants on a continent called Xen'Drik. Xen'Drik is characterized by its untamed lands (Jungle, Desert, Ice Plains, etc.) Stormreach is a port city on the Jungle coastline of Xen'Drik. The Drow that live here came to worship a scorpion god called Vulkor. So... in Eberron you will see Scarrow (half drow / half monstrous scorpion) as opposed to Driders (half drow / half monstrous spider). If you are into the lore - you can read up on this setting by googling the Eberron Wiki.

I hope this helps.

Callowyn
09-10-2009, 01:19 PM
As for what they've done to the drow, you sound like you're more comfortable with the Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk setting. DDO doesn't follow either of those, but instead follows a newer setting in the world of Eberron (I do hope I got the name right). There are many changes to get accustomed to. I know this as when I first came here, I was a bit lost in them myself. I played AD&D, being a DM for almsot 25 years in the same campaign world a co-DM and I created, loosely based on a combination of the Realms and Greyhawk. Try reading into the history and I am sure you can adjust to RP your character's personality and history properly for the setting. As to the night/day thing, I've seen the night sky, but cannot recall when. In any event, welcome to Stormreach, and may your adventures be prosperous and fun!

Izztyrr
09-10-2009, 01:20 PM
For your reading pleasure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drow_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)#Drow_in_Eberron

Drow in Eberron are not the drow of forgotten realms, or most other D&D campaigns.

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Thank you also. Tickler and Callowyn.

Uska
09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
This isnt the better they were forgotten realms, enjoy the fresheness of a brand new world to bad they dont use more if it here.