PDA

View Full Version : Game's downloading; have a few questions.

Maximumbob
09-10-2009, 08:28 AM
To give you perspective most of my experience is WoW related.

One thing that confuses me is that this whole game is only about 4.5 gigs roughly. How is this possible if it includes all the zones/continents/instances/raids from the original game; I think Vanilla WoW had about 20gigs if I'm not mistaken?

When do you need to buy the expansion packs at level 20 or are these packs parallel content added to give levelers more content to choose from?

Is it possible to earn new content through the point system or do you have to buy it directly?

Which server has the healthiest population of Oceanic Players, I work nights (love in the US) so I usually raid at 8AM EST?

What roles are more in demand atm Tanks (aggro/damage sponge in WoW), Healers, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, Buffers? I'm used to playing WoW classes like Shaman and Druid so I like to bring Utility (buffs/vital roles) to the table.

I think that covers most of my questions atm; looking forward to logging in soon hopefully :D

Gol
09-10-2009, 08:33 AM
4.5 Gigs is the entire game.

The free content gets thin around level 10 or 11, but the premium content starts as early as level 2 or 3 (and is generally both better content and worth more XP).

Premium content is purchased by either spending points in the Turbine Store or by upgrading to a VIP membership.

Not really sure which server has the most, but there are a lot of Aussie players around here - perhaps one of them could answer you better.

There's nothing consistent about demand, honestly. However, Clerics never have problems finding groups.

Maximumbob
09-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Does that mean I could pay for a month down load all the content and then down grade back to Free?

anatoli11
09-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Not sure why the size difference other than DDO doesn't have a massive world map as it uses instanced dungeons and encounter areas.

If you are F2P you earn points by playing and then can spend those points to purchase additiona quest lines.

All the servers seem to be about equal - Sarlona has a fair pacific rim population.

For most of DDO there are no set charater roles, and characters can built into non-traditional roles. There is some complexity to the builds, so you may want to start with a pure class character first.

Happy downloading and welcome!

Maximumbob
09-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Thank you for the replies so far. How much points can you earn from one to level ten I wanted to know so that I can plan out which content to purchase with the points. Can you earn enough points to buy all the content out right at lvl ten, if not how much money would I need to spend? I don't really care about making the journey easier per say I just want to enjoy new content lore and the raiding scene of course :D.

Gol
09-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Does that mean I could pay for a month down load all the content and then down grade back to Free?
Not quite. For that month you'd have access to all the content and get 500 store points and get 10 characters to play with. When you go back to free, you'll have 4 characters (as opposed to the current 2), but you'd have to buy access to the content with store points.

SimVerg
09-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Vanilla WoW was like 6 gigs, with additional free space requirements to handle how they patched.

I believe the highest free quest is lvl 12. However, you do gain free points based upon your favor(which is calculated based on the highest difficulty you have run a quest at) so you could, in theory, run every freely available quest on all 2 freely available characters on all 6 servers and earn enough to unlock other quests, which would earn you more points to buy more quests, and so on. Not sure if anyone has worked out exactly how much you could end up getting for free.

Ghallanda has the Koreans, Sarlona has the Chinese(I think), think the Aussies and NZ'ers are spread throughout.

Healers(Clerics/Favored Souls) are typically the highest demand.

Gol
09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Thank you for the replies so far. How much points can you earn from one to level ten I wanted to know so that I can plan out which content to purchase with the points. Can you earn enough points to buy all the content out right at lvl ten, if not how much money would I need to spend? I don't really care about making the journey easier per say I just want to enjoy new content lore and the raiding scene of course :D.
This thread would be a good read for you, I think:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=198865

Uska
09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Be pretty much impossible to earn enough tp to buy all the content you wanted in a month, heck maybe a year if you subscribed the whole time and nvr spent a point until you went free.

Gol
09-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Be pretty much impossible to earn enough tp to buy all the content you wanted in a month, heck maybe a year if you subscribed the whole time and nvr spent a point until you went free.
To buy everything would be almost 15,000 points.

Maximumbob
09-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Alright so to buy all of the games content I would need roughly 15,000 TP, how much is that in real money? I wonder if there is also a table that would show what lvls these Adventure Packs apply to so I could just buy them at piece meal if I have to. I've heard leveling takes awhile any way so for a novice player it might take me 3 or 4 months to hit lvl 20; so I might not have to worry about buying content on a regular basis any way.

WolfSpirit
09-10-2009, 09:16 AM
The very first thing is Welcome home. Glad you could break out of that! You will find this to be a VERY different animal that Wow.
And on that note...
This is going to be HARD.
You have to forget everything you know about World of Warcraft.
NONE of it has any bearing on this game. Even the people who play this game are often different and we all (relativily of course) Treat each other much better than other MMORPGs out there. I think its because most of the Vets that have played for years are Adult.
I say you have to forget, because everything is different.
For example, you can't judge the game by the size of the download. DDO has cutting edge graphic abilities that are only realized when you download the hi-res rather than the standard. Even then, you are only getting the core game. Also don't forget, Vanilla WoW had you running and running and running to get to your location. This world isn't STRECHED like that for a timesink. You sink more of your time inside instances here rather than overland movement.
And the combat? Its REALLy WOW! Realtime combat, no button mashing and waiting for the cooldown to mash it again. Your Actually swing your weapon. I hear its unnerving to comers from World of Warcraft.
If your going free to play instead of VIP subscription, you will have to buy all the high level content packs, as well as most of the Low-Mid ones too.
The servers are all about the same as far as population goes. Someone else may have more accurate data as far as that is concerned though.
Cannith is the newest server being only a couple of weeks old. I'd say currently the lowest population but Its growing fast. I have a strong feeling it will end up with the most population in under a year. You may be most at home there with less powergamers and more newer people learning all together and a small economy.
Always in demand are Healing classes such as Cleric or Heal spec'ed Favored soul. (Though You'd have to buy the FvS)
All classes are in demand though, each has a roll that is needed. But another thing you should try to fall away from in DDO from WoW is that there is a huge variation from each class. Even the Pure Class Fighter standing beside your own is likely a VERY different Build than your own. This is even MORE evident with multiclassing.
DDO offers the Widest and perhaps the wildest class customization available. So you can make the character JUST the way YOU want. But you do have to remain an effective and benificial part of any group and even solo. There are many many character builds listed in these forums. If just starting you can use the pregenerated paths during character creation, or if you have something specific in mind, you may want to look some up here on the forums and tailor the class to your own ideas.
You say you like to buff/heal/support?
Give the Bard a try! Perhaps a Warchanter to bring a bit of Melee?
A bit of homework today may save you from rerolling later!
Above all, Have fun!

SimVerg
09-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Alright so to buy all of the games content I would need roughly 15,000 TP, how much is that in real money? I wonder if there is also a table that would show what lvls these Adventure Packs apply to so I could just buy them at piece meal if I have to. I've heard leveling takes awhile any way so for a novice player it might take me 3 or 4 months to hit lvl 20; so I might not have to worry about buying content on a regular basis any way.

Really, this thread is good. (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=198865) That being said, 3300 TP are $39 so $195 for everything using 15k as the target, less if you trim options(earn drow/FvS from favor, gain some points from favor, etc.).

SquelchHU
09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Thing is, it would probably be better to just pay the monthly fee. Even taking the least efficient route buying things by micro transaction costs as much as unlocking everything for 13 months. Unless you plan to play for 14 or more months you get a better deal - except then you could buy more than one month at a time, and it takes even longer to balance out.