PDA

View Full Version : Ok noob here

TinyHowie
09-09-2009, 11:02 PM
I want to know how do wizards learn new spells, does it work like 2e? Or like WoW?

How do I target a player? Or simply lock on one so I can use maybe trade function or invite function?

FluffyCalico
09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I want to know how do wizards learn new spells, does it work like 2e? Or like WoW?

How do I target a player? Or simply lock on one so I can use maybe trade function or invite function?

1-everytime you level up you get 1-2 new spells you can choose from any you can cast at that level that you do not know.
2-You can also find the scroll of the spell and inscribe the scroll learning it. Note you will need inscribe scroll componentes of the right level to do so.

gokens
09-10-2009, 12:37 AM
While I have not played as a wizard, I will say that this is how it works as a cleric:
I get a certain number of "slots" of spells. Spells have their internal levels independent of my level, so as a level 7 cleric I have access to level 1, level 2, and level 3 spells. I have 2 slots for level 3 spells, so I look through all my level 3 spells and figure out which 2 are most useful, I have 3? slots for level 2 spells, so I look through all of my level 2 spells and figure out which are most useful. After I've gone through and picked out all my spells I add them to my action bar and use them as necessary (and I emphasize necessary, SP (in other games: "mana") is a very limited resource).

Someone who has played a wizard can feel free to say "like a cleric but..."

TinyHowie
09-10-2009, 03:23 AM
1-everytime you level up you get 1-2 new spells you can choose from any you can cast at that level that you do not know.
2-You can also find the scroll of the spell and inscribe the scroll learning it. Note you will need inscribe scroll componentes of the right level to do so.

Ok. Now I found several scrolls but there's no options to copy them all to my spellbook. I suppose I need components, now for a beginner where and how could I find them? I have the scribe scroll skill on my hotbar but can't seem to work it, what's the procedure? It seems to work quite differently from any other D&D titles I've played.

captfurious
09-10-2009, 03:27 AM
You need appropriate level inscription materials (available at arcane scroll vendors), and the inscribe spell feat clickie on your hot bar, as well as the scroll you want to inscribe.

bandyman1
09-10-2009, 03:28 AM
You'll need to buy the inscribe materials for the level of the spell on the scroll, as noted.

You can buy them from the arcane reagent vendor in the harbor or marketplace.

Once you have the inscription materials, you simply click on the scroll in your inventory, then click the inscribe icon on your hot bar.

Hope this helps, and wizards are fun ;).

TinyHowie
09-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Do I get the merchant in the starting area? Yes, wizard's fun, been fulltime supporter for wizard since 2nd edition ;)

bandyman1
09-10-2009, 03:58 AM
Do I get the merchant in the starting area? Yes, wizard's fun, been fulltime supporter for wizard since 2nd edition ;)

I don't think there's an inscription materials vendor on Korthos. You'll have to wait until you get to the harbor.

I could be wrong on that though. Any of my new characters just skip the tutorial. Sorry I can't be more help :(

toughguyjoe
09-10-2009, 04:12 AM
Sorry I can't be more help :(

Thats could be Sig worthy.

:D

For the OP: Welcome to Stormreach! You should talk to the general vendor in Korthos(His name is Dax Boon).

He MAY have inscription materials. If he does, you can add the scrolls you found to your spell book, just as Bandyman1 described.

If he does not sell them, you may find some in chests, or you may have to wait until you reach the harbor, where there will be a person in the apothecary who sells them.

Wizards are at their best when they have as many spells of all levels they can cast, so make sure and buy/look for all the different ones you can get.

I think you'll like the game, so keep on truckin!