PDA

View Full Version : I thought you could "dodge" attacks manually?

Kulharin
09-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Curious... I just started playing and the game boasts that it is an action style combat system where you can "dodge" attacks... Yet in the initial starting quest I noticed that even while running away with a great distance between me and my opponent, as well as side stepping their melee attacks, I was still getting hit regardless as if I was just standing still like most typical mmorpgs... This through me off a bit... If there is a large enough distance between me and my opponent and I am strafing there attacks, why am I still getting hit and taking damage? is this normal? If so how is that an action combat system if moving doesn't help you avoid being hitting...

Lithic
09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
The dodging refers more to missile attacks like bows as well as ray magic such as scorching ray and the eyebeams of beholders. Note that those beholders have a targeting lazer that will follow you, but their actual beam can miss by a decent margin if you are dodging eratically.

In melee, the best example of dodging is against giants. They have a stomp attack that you can see coming and run back out of range before it hits you. Some critters like wights and wildmen have a special attack that requires they do a backjump before, so you can avoid those as well.

The normal attacks of most critters are difficult, but not impossible to avoid with movement. Usually it is not worth trying as their attacks will often hit anyway, and you spend so much time dodging that you won't be killing. The examples I listed above though are great times to practice dodging.

Spells especially can be made to fizzle by jumping over your oponent's head and getting behind them as they cast.

Riorik
09-09-2009, 10:07 PM
The most obvious thing you can dodge is actually the ranged combat. Some spells move more quickly than others and you can often dodge those too. On melee, I've never really been certain that I've actually dodged a physical attack because usually I'm no longer facing the enemy...really hard to tell.

However, on melee attacks, you can tumble and with the mobility feat, you gain +4 AC while doing so. However, A(rmor) C(lass) is no longer the panacea it once was with the addition of a new game mechanic (with the most recent module) known as Grazing Hits.

Dodging arrows usually requires you to see the archer and watching the animation then dodging in the middle of it at the right moment. Most of the "ball" type spells (fire ball, lightning ball, otilukes freezing sphere (6th level "cold ball") are rather easy to see and move aside to avoid. Lightning moves too quickly - and Magic Missile always hits if you're still in range (but it does move slowly enough to avoid it sometimes) - even Scorching Ray/Niacs can be dodged.

Dodging is, of course, easier, when you have the opportunity to insert terrain (or another player) in between the enemy and yourself. The other player may not even mind much, maybe.

gokens
09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Most of it's been said before, tumbling, range, etc. I tend to try to dodge melee attacks by jumping over or strafing around to an NPC's backside, I figure if they aren't facing me they can't be hitting me. Though I honestly can't tell if it works or if I just have high AC they don't tend to break (I play a cleric, and my primary alt (as of this moment anyway) is a fighter).

Turial
09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Curious... I just started playing and the game boasts that it is an action style combat system where you can "dodge" attacks... Yet in the initial starting quest I noticed that even while running away with a great distance between me and my opponent, as well as side stepping their melee attacks, I was still getting hit regardless as if I was just standing still like most typical mmorpgs... This through me off a bit... If there is a large enough distance between me and my opponent and I am strafing there attacks, why am I still getting hit and taking damage? is this normal? If so how is that an action combat system if moving doesn't help you avoid being hitting...

You can dodge attacks but like in real life it takes timing and practice because it is difficult to avoid something that is bent on killing you.

Tumbling and jumping are your best bets to avoid getting hit by things. Its not a perfect avoidance system but sometimes it will save your life.