PDA

View Full Version : Make me a build? (probably monk)

gokens
09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd have put this in the build section except that I can't post in it, probably because I'm not yet a subscriber, possibly because I don't have enough posts. Anyway:

What I want: a 28 point build that kicks ass if played correctly (but sucks if doesn't) that is not terribly gear dependent (a statement that is further clarified at the end)

What I have: a little bit of experience (a level 7 cleric), a little bit of in-game money (10k plat or so), a little bit of money IRL (to buy monk or a race or +1 tome or VIP), twitch ability, all around "skill", ability to learn quickly, etc. (basically I'm an intelligent guy who picks things up quickly who has been gaming for 17+ years and has gotten pretty good at it)

What I do NOT have: time/patience (i.e. if the build is tied heavily to gear that takes dozens of hours of grinding I will never ever get it), 1750 favor (tied directly to my lack of patience/time), access to pretty much anything (though as I said I have a little bit of money), an in depth knowledge of the finer points of the rule book (if I did, I wouldn't be asking for a build, though as I said before I pick things up quickly)

I can't stress enough that time/patience is my primary limiting resource, or even more precisely, I "have ADD" (not really) in that I tend to get bored of anything at all reminiscent of "grind". Leveling itself already tends to push my tolerance of grind (though the first 7 levels of DDO has only recently started to try my patience (at 35% of the levels, that's beating my experience with pretty much every other MMORPG).

I also think I should reiterate that I like characters that are challenging to play (but are (preferrably) a cut above the rest if played well). For this reason people have told me that I probably would like to play a monk. Sweet, monks also have significant aesthetic appeal to me, I'd like to punch things in the face (or hit things with a big stick if I have to). I also like to jump around while I hit things, and I hear monks can do that, though I don't know what I'd have to sacrifice for an ability that may not be terribly useful (though I think it probably is more useful than the average person will think).

Having done some reading on monks I'd probably prefer human (aesthetic reasons), probably STR over DEX (or slightly harder hits over slightly more AC (as I understand the trade off to be)), preferably punching things (aesthetic reasons), and possibly dark (though fists of light is quite attractive). But I don't know all the implications those decisions will have (or I would just build my own), so most of them are rather fluid and easily changed with an argument from utility.

Anyway, so what I want is: a 28 point build that's challenging but awesome if played well, that is not grind-dependent, probably a monk.

Anyone care to help a guy out?

Noctus
09-09-2009, 10:55 PM
What I want: a 28 point build that kicks ass if played correctly (but sucks if doesn't) that is not terribly gear dependent (a statement that is further clarified at the end)

The Rogue class is exactly what you are looking for.
They can have the best DPS if played correctly, but also can be wasting valuable party space if all they are capable of is disabling the occasional trapbox.

I personally prefer the STR versions, as they even deal decent damage against non-sneak-attackable monsters, or when they do have aggro. Also as a big chunk of their DPS output comes through sneak attacks you are not so much gear dependent, in regards to weapons. And those are the most expensive part of your gear.

I also think I should reiterate that I like characters that are challenging to play (but are (preferrably) a cut above the rest if played well). For this reason people have told me that I probably would like to play a monk.Problem with monks for you:
* Monks are an AC class, and keeping AC in a working range requires grind. Big time.
* Monks really benefit from having PB32, as they need many stats. Which requires either much playtime invested, or ... you gess it.... grind.
* Monks are gear dependent. Monk weapons with good enchantments are expensive.

gokens
09-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Can you suggest a rogue build?

Noctus
09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
This is a very solid DEX-build, good for beginners to learn the class, and without the need for deep game knowledge and/or much unlocked favor rewards and/or required +2 or even +3 tomes. And when you eventually have mastered the class it is still a good build, so no need to reroll.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1718372&postcount=11

In the Rogue forums you will find many unique builds, tailored to the personal preferences of their creators. But to judge which of these advanced builds might fit yours, or be not-so-good for your playstyle, you have to get some experience, with the rogue class. To find out which aspects you like and which are not so important to you, or what you would like to include through multiclassing, and so on.......

For example i do not care for shadow skulking, assassinations, or high AC, but like still solid DPS when i have aggro, and high HP. So i can make me a rogue who eschews the 1st abilities, to get better at DPS-with-aggro (STR-builds) and have higher HP (Dwarfen race + Fighter splash).

spifflove
09-10-2009, 09:44 AM
wf barb

18 str
18 con
dump rest

PA
Stun
thf line
cleave