PDA

View Full Version : Couple Noob Questions

Relea5
09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Hello I just installed the game and before I go and get swept away into my first character I would like to ask a couple questions:
I do not know much about this game, but I played D&D table top game as a kid. I also have played a lot of MMOs and a bigtime gamer all genres.

1. Which servers are:
A) most populated?
B) have more PvPers?

2.How are the ranged DPS classes in this game? I generally enjoy Archers or Casters in any MMO. Any suggestions or info on the ranged dpers in DDO ?

Thanks for your time and help, hope to see you

Relea5

Visty
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
A) its relative even, though if you want an untwinked server, take Cannith, as that is the new one
b) as only 0.001% of the entire ddo population pvp if even the correct answer should be: there is no pvp

2. ranged DPS is gimped in this game. archers can be nice support but never topnotch dps. also in the late game casters mostly buff and instakill as nukes aren efficient

Thrudh
09-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Hello I just installed the game and before I go and get swept away into my first character I would like to ask a couple questions:
I do not know much about this game, but I played D&D table top game as a kid. I also have played a lot of MMOs and a bigtime gamer all genres.

1. Which servers are:
A) most populated?
B) have more PvPers?

2.How are the ranged DPS classes in this game? I generally enjoy Archers or Casters in any MMO. Any suggestions or info on the ranged dpers in DDO ?

Thanks for your time and help, hope to see you

Relea5

All the servers are pretty even...
PvP is just for fun in DDO... The classes are not balanced (just like in D&D), so casters usually win all PvP... There is no really serious PvP element.

Ranged combat can be fun, but there are lots of quests where it doesn't work too well... You can play a ranger, and be very good at both melee and ranged... Most of the time you'll melee, but there are times when pulling a bow is the best move...

Casters also "range" with their spells... and continue to do so throughout the entire game... Play a wizard to start with, and you can swap out our spells, and try them all...

The very latest mod has some tough critters that are making life hard for the casters, but it's a new Mod, and we will adapt, just like always...

Relea5
09-09-2009, 03:46 PM
A) its relative even, though if you want an untwinked server, take Cannith, as that is the new one
b) as only 0.001% of the entire ddo population pvp if even the correct answer should be: there is no pvp

2. ranged DPS is gimped in this game. archers can be nice support but never topnotch dps. also in the late game casters mostly buff and instakill as nukes aren efficient

1. how long ago was Cannith created? if its brand new that would be a blast, as long as their is a good number of people rolling their, a dead server can make any game stink.

2. ohhhh nooooo! that stinks. so let me get this right Wizard, Sorcerer, and Ranger are not that good at DPS? also what about the healing classes and hybrids, are they ranged dpsers? how is their dps. sorry i am brand new and am actually reading up on the game right now.

thanks so much for the help, you are saving me some time and probably helpin me to enjoy the game more

Relea5

Visty
09-09-2009, 03:51 PM
1. how long ago was Cannith created? if its brand new that would be a blast, as long as their is a good number of people rolling their, a dead server can make any game stink.

2. ohhhh nooooo! that stinks. so let me get this right Wizard, Sorcerer, and Ranger are not that good at DPS? also what about the healing classes and hybrids, are they ranged dpsers? how is their dps. sorry i am brand new and am actually reading up on the game right now.

thanks so much for the help, you are saving me some time and probably helpin me to enjoy the game more

Relea5

1. cannith got created on 1st september
2. well, they can nuke the mobs but if a mobs has 5000hp and your spell does only 800 for 40sp, then its cheaper to use that instakillspell which only costs 35sp instead of (800*7=5200) 40*7=280sp which it would take to nuke it

healing classes, which ppl usualy refer to the cleric class, have the best damage spell in game, blade barrier, and can clear whole rooms with it. i think for caster dps clerics are the best though most of the time you have to heal the party and thus cant use those
and ranged dps will always suck as if it would be the same as melee dps, noone would melee anymore as when ranging mobs cant hurt you and thus it would just unbalance the mobs even more as the devs would try to balance them against a full group of ''rangers'' which would kill melees

Chelsa
09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Be careful of advice.

I would go read the class threads.

I have 2 rangers, 1 melee, 1 ranged. Love them both.

My wizard can solo many high end quests.

If you make a cleric be prepared to be a heal bot at times. Traditional tank and healer mechanics are a must for raids and high end, high difficulty quests.

All classes can be very effective in DDO, but unlike other MMO's understanding game mechanics is a must when playing more custom built characters.

Most of all have fun.