PDA

View Full Version : PD Play and Scaling

KGWiking
09-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Well we had the scaling issue hit our guild members tonight. A group of five lvl 3 to 6 went into the Market Series on Hard and took some interesting damage. Sadly - in a tough end fight a number were deep fried.

Not to be discouraged the recently dearly departed all made level ones and with the help of a lvl 2 ran Korthos on Elite Village without a hitch - though there were a few low bars at times.

Then the group of Lvl 1's and 1 Lvl 2 hit the WW and while there were some scary moments, we really had a great time on this quest. Some of the damage did seem pretty harsh from the nasty kobolds, but we took it with a grain of salt and figure we had brought a lot of whooping to them, so maybe it was their turn.

It was pretty intense at times to see your bar go down by half when one kobold hit you - In the course of the run some levled and some of the Lvl 1's just held off for a bit. When the quest was done we had all hit Lvl 3. Our plan is to find someone to open up the Misery's set on Elite and then hit STK and we're actually looking forward to the scaling bug - adds a bit of sauce to the goose.

If you don't take a risk once in awhile what's the point of playing?

Uska
09-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Until they fix scaling you may want to keep you PD groups to a size of 4 or less, since its kind of harsh to punish your system with this bug.

KGWiking
09-09-2009, 01:17 AM
I truly respect where you are coming from, but I disagree, respectfully with the premise. We welcome the added danger - very much so.

We are encouraging people to go out an run the quests in larger groups on the hardest possible setting particularly in the lower level quests due to the extra challenge. In my view and that of many of our guildies it has made the ridiculously easy content in the lower levels more enjoyable. Getting hit for 120 points of energy damgage with resists and protection on was a bit of a shocker or scorcher literally, but so what, we just had to act appropriately to the challenge.

We talked about the damage and of course we didn't like it, but we joked about it, and revved it up a notch. So, the game treated us roughly with our mid levels...let's hit WW with Lvl 1's. We had more than a few scary moments, but it was a reall rush of adreneline to have a quest that we knew even withthe scaling bug was going to be difficult. However, understand, prior to scaling a lot of our guildies would run WW right away alone or in a group of two, so, running it with the added danger was actually very stimulating.

So, while I do appreciate where you're coming from, I'm very glad that our members are not changing our quest selection or grouping patterns due to the increased danger. Its actually refreshing to be a bit worried in WW a quest I usually solo at lvl one and two in my sleep.

The worst thing that could happen to any guild - particularly a PD guild - is that they let this extra challenge deter them from running challenging content in GROUPS. A horrible outcome - at least in my opinion - is that the Group concept of a guild will be diminished and that the scaling of quests for smaller groups - which were easy to do alone prior to Mod 9 will only encourage people to solo or duo these same easy quests. I have found very few quests in this game that can't be done on level alone or with two, and scaling it down was not good....so I for one kind of welcome the roller coaster effect.

All the scaling does is add sauce to a goose that needed spice... A lot of it.

KG

Uska
09-09-2009, 01:22 AM
I wish you luck I had a character get one shoted in WW on hard and he had over a 100 hp and hvy fort was a spell was a WOW moment the whole party was full and then the whole party was dead.

KGWiking
09-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Thank you... we made it okay on one set and weren't so lucky on the other. Scaling aside my own toon's demise was my own fault - bad twitching moment I think - although but for the scaling I would have made it out.

I didn't...not the first death - won't be the last.

Taking 140 pts of damage on top of energy protection 72 pt and resists was a bit of an eye opener too. I was doing a lot of OUCH OUCH OUCH HOT HOT HOT on the mike. We laughed at it, but had I not been aware of the scaling bug it would have been one quest less before an early demise! :)

KG

KGWiking
09-10-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm not so sure that the scaling issue ends at lvl 5 quests. We ran a lvl 6 tonight and a toon that got a little bit ahead of the pack took 120+ pts of damage from a spike trap. That seems a bit high for lvl 6 on normal.

Needless to say....we went very slowly with a rogue (lucky me) well out in front calling out the traps!

KG

parvo
09-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I lost a level seven pure rogue last night to an exploding barrel. From full hit points to -20. Bounty Hunter elite. I like tough quests, but It's a bit much when an exploding barrel is "save or die". If left as is, it would create griefing issues in PUGs in normal play.

EKKM
09-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Thats a lot of damage from a barrel. I seem to remember a dev comment that exploding barrels damage was going to scale better with levels (as they were all previously low damage). I guess that, combined with the scaling bug led to your situation.

I assume you had to delete the character, or do you make allowances for obvious bugs?

KGWiking
09-11-2009, 08:07 AM
After some bravado of "Bring it on" I've done the same with our guild and we've had the constant reminder of remember the scaling bug. I've left it up to groups if we want to go in larger or less than four groups. And I can't blame anyone. We have lost about six mid levels in the past few days - and we all hate the early part of the game.
Groups of four seem to be about right so while we are cautious we press on.

I can't speak for MV but our guys have been deleted if a rezzer is not around. One of my rezzers has been a bit busy. The tough part is still that we log deaths (# of deaths can't exceed Base CON) - so even if rezzed the clock is ticking.

On the good side we started tagging players for Vons and the verbal confirmations are set for our date with Tempests Spine

KG

KGWiking
09-11-2009, 08:09 AM
On Bounty Hunter we lost a Level 7 - till he was revived by some rezzing love - to a spike trap. No way that should have done the damage it did - over 140.

I think that the higher end quests are a bit...buggy still.

KG

parvo
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Thats a lot of damage from a barrel. I seem to remember a dev comment that exploding barrels damage was going to scale better with levels (as they were all previously low damage). I guess that, combined with the scaling bug led to your situation.

I assume you had to delete the character, or do you make allowances for obvious bugs?

Dead is dead. I was ****ed for a few minutes then got over it. It would be pretty rare in MV to have a raiser in Bounty Hunter. We don't quest below character level and we don't use innate raise abilities below level nine. I suppose if a UMD character happened to have a raise dead scroll (which we don't buy), it could happen, but it would be rare.

KGWiking
09-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Hard was the hardest setting we could open on and a player was itching for House D favor -

We lost a level two or three to an elite barrel in harbor tonight 78 pts fire damage....ouch.. "hot hot hot"

The scaling didn't seem too bad tonight or maybe we're playing smarter...hard to say.

KG