PDA

View Full Version : Level 4 and over for free?

togwiz74
09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi All,

I am almost lvl 4, about 500xp off. I ran into the Market place and almost every quest I have found is a bought quest set. These seem to consist of Sharm and Three Barrel (Island?). I am really struggling to find quests that are not pay2play. Am I simply missing something or is it extremely hard to get past level 4 without paying?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Cya.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-08-2009, 08:18 PM
there should be a couple others in the city. There is also an explorer area that I believe is free that you can find off of the harbor. If wander into the other houses you may also find some quests at level, for example the 4 "depths" quests you get from the tavern and enter just inside house D.

Turbine...you do need to do a better job of letter people know where they can quest...

Arnya
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Turbine...you do need to do a better job of letter people know where they can quest...

Oh yeah, because exploring is so boring.... not to mention the 'M' key kinda helps...

How have we managed to get to quests for 3 years without flashy icons, friend gathering trinkets and general hand-holding/bum-wiping?

I think these posts will become more prevalent after the 9th because everyone smart enough to play DDO, already is....

OP: Not taking a swipe at you in particular, but the main draw of this game is - it's not a simple game:)

Lorien_the_First_One
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh yeah, because exploring is so boring....

How have we managed to get to quests for 3 years without flashy icons, friend gathering trinkets and general hand-holding/bum-wiping?

I think these posts will become more prevalent after the 9th because everyone smart enough to play DDO, already was....

Shame I can't give neg rep to the same person twice in one day. When we were starting any door with a swirl we could enter as a quest, any marked quest giver was someone to talk to, these folks get turned down a lot, that's bad game design. They should probably be doing something like marking the quests or quest givers differently if they have to buy them.

And as for exploring, yes, exploring completely aimlessly was boring. If i wanted to run aimlessly for hours I'd be playing WoW. I agree with the original box, "quest don't travel". I was happy to have vets suggest that House D might be a good place to explore at my level or ask if I had found Tangleroot yet.

Arnya
09-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Shame I can't give neg rep to the same person twice in one day.

Please do.

I make jabs at people and things I think are stupid and only get positive rep for it?

You people are sick :)

Robi3.0
09-08-2009, 08:49 PM
If you want check out my guide it contains a lot of info F2p players will find useful.

Link----> http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2396345#post2396345

Lorien_the_First_One
09-08-2009, 08:52 PM
If you want check out my guide it contains a lot of info F2p players will find useful.

Link----> http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2396345#post2396345

see now thats what should get pos rep :D

togwiz74
09-08-2009, 09:55 PM
well thank you (most of you :) ) for the replies. I guess I just had a bad run, it just seemed that every quest I picked up, I went to the instance only to be told I had to buy it. I ran around for quite awhile and just couldnt seem to find anything that was a 'free' quest. Anyway if I get a chance to jump on tonight I will look around some more.

And ty for the guide too, am checking that out now.

HunterX57
09-09-2009, 03:36 AM
There are 3 good undead quests in House Jorasco, the quest givers should be standing in the first open area of the house, and in the first tavern you come across.

There's also when you first enter market, head down the stairs on your far right, then turn right and go straight past the hireling vendors there are 2 short troglydyte quests yuo can do. Back up the stairs and another right you should find 2 more quests, one extreme one called Troglydyte Clutch, and a trap oriented one named after a spider Redfang.

You can also consider checking the other patron houses, but I am not personally familiar with them.

I find levels 3-6 can get decent xp running full groups through water works on hard and elite if you have a strong enough teamwork to deal with the elite kobold shamans and boss monsters. If you're really having trouble with it you can run kobold assault 2 or 3 times on normal, and you should have enough collection items to get some good Reptilian bane swords and ammunition from Goldscuttle to make the Waterworks a much easier place to deal with. (And be sure to have some fire weapons and spells incase you come across that rare troll encounter, it's a beast)

Vanethian
09-09-2009, 07:56 AM
These days will be full of comments from the new players, I'm sure Turbine will need to balance a lot of things, but this was expected, as always when something new is launched.

Arnya
09-09-2009, 11:44 PM
These days will be full of comments from the new players, I'm sure Turbine will need to balance a lot of things, but this was expected, as always when something new is launched.

I really hope you are wrong.

If you were here 6 months ago, you would know about all the dumbing down that has already taken place.

VIPs will be leaving in hordes if the devs try to balance the game for new players, when the subscribing population has 3 years' headstart learning and mastering this game.

Also please be aware that us VIPs are paying for you to play free. Turbine Points that FTPers buy with real cash will likely never exceed revenue from us subscribers.

And many subscribers will buy points as well as paying $15/mo

gokens
09-10-2009, 12:25 AM
I am almost lvl 4, about 500xp off. I ran into the Market place and almost every quest I have found is a bought quest set. These seem to consist of Sharm and Three Barrel (Island?). I am really struggling to find quests that are not pay2play. Am I simply missing something or is it extremely hard to get past level 4 without paying?

You can get to about level 12 for free, however the game starts requiring turbine points at that point in the game. It's not really fair they market it as "free to play" when it's really more of a trial. That having been said, if you press "M" all the gold chalices *should be* accessible by your account while red chalices require a new adventure pack (there are some exceptions, namely some gold ones are actually pay2play, and this does not help for quests in a tavern (and make no mistake, there are lots of quests in taverns).

Also see the URL in this quote, it gives a good breakdown of quests and what you have to buy to be able to do them:

Try this (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rLsOCFh6713SOCmu3ba2r9Q)

Asketes
09-10-2009, 12:29 AM
OP: Not taking a swipe at you in particular, but the main draw of this game is - it's not a simple game:)

I really hope it stays that way ( idk from the looks of it, it's gotten rather easy-buttoney)

Uska
09-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Not a f2p but I did get to lvl 4 easily wtih what content they can access just kothos, ww really was all it took me. This was with a untwinked character on the new server, I have gotten up to lvl 7 just by using shan tor kor and tangelroot and havent really fully touched those yet, I would say those two are a good investment for someone, I prefer tangleroot over shan tor kor as I think it has more use and is more fun.

Morreant
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
well, many of the new players either have little MMO experience or come from games where finding quests is a bit easier. Wouldn't have hurt to have an optional "noob mode" which makes it easier for some to find the quests they can/should be doing.

admesser
09-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Have not played this since Beta. Came back today for the free experience. Not bad, bit different than what I am used to. I think the smug attitudes of some of the "vets" just shows resistance to change. Who cares if vets leave from a "free" game? DDO has had more influx of players in the last 2 days than probably the last 2 years. I have not seen this game on the shelves of any retail store in about as long.

Whether you like it or not, now that the game is free, there will be an overhaul of players who ask noob questions and the pompous snickering fools who like to banter back and forth on forums only troll on new players to make themselves feel better. Rofl..Epic fail ftw.