PDA

View Full Version : Moving with mouse.

khayman090
09-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Yes I am a noob and this is a noob question. Possibly pointless one but I would really like to play this game because I love D&D and the graphics and gameplay of this game are extremely great. However there is one thing that is basically the dealbreaker for me. The inability to make it so that you can move solely with the combination of mouse buttons 0+1 to go forward or even one of them to go forward and one to scan, but would preffer if both to move forward and can scan while moving. Since all the games I have played as of late have had this possibility I have come accustomed to this playstyle and really hate keyboard moving since it is generally not as smooth. Also mapping the mouse 2-4 buttons to the move forward are just not an option since it is heavily uncomfortable however I do usually use mouse button 4 for backwards. Please is there anything one can do to get around this and if not is there any future updates/patches that they are looking into this option for. Any info would be appreciated.

Noctus
09-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Just a general hint:

The combat in DDO is much, much more dynamic than in other online games. Not using the keyboard for movement will make you loose a lot of combat capabilities.

I personally use the mouse to move around in the city (with mosue button 3 and 4), but once you will be involved in fights in the higher levels you will run into problems if you are so stiff when using only the mouse.
In combat regularly outperformed ultra strong barbarians and though fighters on my bard or even 14 STR wizard, because the other players were using far suboptimal controlling methods for their characters. You can see this when they turn slowly in place, never move sideways, or on casters stand still for 2 secs before getting off an aimed spell. While the monsters move about and they have problems following them.

Socialized
09-22-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm an MMO noob, and this issue really bothers me too. As a veteran FPS player from the first days of Wolf3D to the present, I can assure you that different movement setups involving mouse buttons are not suboptimal, just different.

Before the days of alternate fire modes, and complex binding systems, mouse 2 to move forward and mouse 1 to attack were the dead standard conventions of 3D gaming. For players trained this way, using a keyboard key for move forward is just like playing left handed.

I'm loving the game, and I'm just one in a huge wave of new players you DDO vets will be contending with. I think this is an issue that will keep resurfacing until Turbine patches it.

Nice to jump in on your forums too. Thanks for having me!

sunkenfaith
09-22-2009, 10:38 PM
ya, I know how it feels. thats why i always only use my keyboard for movement.

Uska
09-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Mouse movement just wont work here and I am glad I always hated mouse movement. I am an old FPS person and using keyboard and mouse together seems natural

Arnya
09-23-2009, 12:33 AM
When you can use the mouse only to run at an enemy, jump over its head, spin 180ยบ, swap weapon sets, aim and drop a fireball on the enemy's head - all before you hit the ground - I will use my mouse only to move :)