PDA

View Full Version : Newb question: auto-attack

ciep
09-05-2009, 09:56 AM
So from a bit of playing (and I'm new to MMO play, not just DDO), I gather that most don't use/like the auto-attack feature. As a melee character at lower levels, I actually found this useful/less tiring: auto-attack on, tab and rotate to hit mobs (on solo play at least), freedom from constant mouse clicking to try to flank or use a hotkey.

So my question is: how do experienced players actually use their mouse/keyboard when confronting a mob? What do you change from the default keyboard mappings? There's a ton of info on these boards about the meta-data around fighting (stacking Attack/AC bonuses, weapons of awesomeness, feats galore, etc), but what is actually effective clicking strategy?

Thanks!

Caldur
09-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm a noob too, and I've found that for me I seem to hit faster and easier if I just hold down the right-mouse button. I have to have a bit more control with ammo-based weapons, but wands certainly fire faster than trying to click their buttons, and I don't have to worry about accidentally shooting something far away.

coolpenguin410
09-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I tend to just hold my mouse button down for attacking regular trash mobs. The reason being is in the event I want to click on something I don't want to attack. For example, certain breakable cause damage. This is even more important if you have a ranged weapon and you're trying NOT to get a monster's attention.

For high HP bosses, I throw on auto-attack so my mouse is free to do other things, like click potions, buffs, etc.

When all is said and done, it's really just a situational convenience. Eventually, you'll develop your own style.

SangRahl
09-05-2009, 06:21 PM
As a long-time MMO player, I started just using the AutoAttack button... It worked great for taking out low-level mobs as they approached: as soon as they get in range, they're cut down.

As I've played more and more, I've switched to the dedicated Right-Click to attack. There's more control, as you can still tab between targets, but when in a tangle of mobs, you'll basically still be smacking whatever is in your arc of attack. (with AutoAttack, you'd only swing if the targetted mob was in range)

The problem I've run into is that not all of my characters react the same way to holding down the mouse Attack button. Dinethu, my Longsword-wielder, will swing away with the button held... or keep plucking arrows without pause. Dinenae, my Falchion/Scimitar-wielder, only swings/fires on each press. If I hold the button, I get to watch my character slowly get cut down while doing nothing in response.

This can get REALLY annoying, as I'd prefer to not have to frenetically tap the mouse button during combat... it can be distracting, and can actually lead to "over-swinging", as the client recognizes each press pretty accurately, meaning that I can stop tapping when my target dies, but my character will still swing a few more times while the 'queue' of presses catches up with realtime.

I've tried resetting my Keyboard Bindings multiple times, but for some reason this one character just will NOT accept the 'hold-button to continuously attack' mechanic.

tihocan
09-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I usually hold down the auto-attack button.
The problem with auto-attack is it can interfere somewhat with other actions (e.g. spells, clickies, special attacks...), preventing you from triggering them exactly when you want, which can be annoying in the heat of a fight. It also forces you to systematically have something as target, while manual attack can be done without anyone in your focus orb.

Not sure what should be changed from the defaults, because the defaults are not the same as what they were when I started playing.

Personally I like the setup where I hold the left click button to be in mouse look, and holding the right button will attack (and keep attacking when holding it held).

I suggest you spend a bit of time with different setups to see what you like best.

Talon_Moonshadow
09-06-2009, 08:24 AM
I play a little strangly..in that I do not use my mouse for many things in the game.

My right hand is poised by arrow keys and number pad. I use arrow keys yo move and have many special things tied to number pad keys.

My left hand is positioned to hit tab, space, and the Z key. I ties the Z key to attack.

I leave auto attack on, but manually swing by hitting the Z key.

With auto attack on, I will keep swinging if I need my hand for another purpose. But can still get the advantage of manually swinging most of the time.

Maxelcat
09-06-2009, 10:13 AM
I play my melee in mouse look mode, FPS style, and I love auto target.

Its so nice to hit what I'm looking at and not what ever I might have clicked or tabed by mistake.

But its a play style thing. Personally I like Auto Target for melee... for Missile... not so much.

Noctus
09-06-2009, 07:13 PM
The problem I've run into is that not all of my characters react the same way to holding down the mouse Attack button.

Go into the options ledger and look for "gameplay" settings. there you wil find the reason for this. You unchecked a box. All characters have the same default setting, unless you manually change it.