PDA

View Full Version : Which content to buy first?

deafknight
09-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi, during the beta i had really mixed experiments with content, and i am wondering what to do first, in a solo perspective (yes i know, but still, solo for the moment)

I had no problems in the beta levelling my paladin to 3-4. Then i bought the catacombs, which was great, althought the levelling value was not that great.
If i remember correctly, i then switched to the marketplace (some nice questchains fighting the local criminals), still great
Then I bought 3 barrels cove, which at 4-5 sucked imo. Faceroll instances, then hard bosses, needed scaling.
I reached 6, and saw a nice area with undeads (forgot the name, crypts?), but i was sadly out of points.
I stopped playing then, because of lack of free content.

now i'm back :D

So my questions are, which areas would you buy first? which has the most levelling value? are there buyer reviews (bad/good, solo/group... etc) of the content?

thanks!

tihocan
09-03-2009, 09:07 AM
You don't really have to buy anything to level up. I don't know if they are free or have to be bought, but STK / Tangleroot are the most popular low level chains giving good XP.

SangRahl
09-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Note: I have not purchased, nor played in, these areas... this is just from conversations read on the boards and in-game.

The two biggest "you really should buy" suggestions for low levels is STK (Shan-To-Kor, I think it's called) and Tanglewood. Each include multiple quests based out of their own Adventure Wildernesses... The main selling points being that the quest storylines are considered the among the best in DDO's first half of the leveling curve, and the adventures themselves are fun.

Personally, I know I'll be getting these as soon as I'm able to finagle access to a credit card from the missus. ::grumble:: Bloody economy... haven't read a new book in over 6 months, or played a new game (unless purchased by the in-laws, which means "Wii Sports Resort"... not so good for trying to curb violent urges like cutting down a sewer full of kobolds and undead) in almost a year.

deafknight
09-03-2009, 09:18 AM
You don't really have to buy anything to level up. I don't know if they are free or have to be bought, but STK / Tangleroot are the most popular low level chains giving good XP.

from playing beta, i'd say that there was enough free content to level to 4, painfully to 5.

has this changed?

what level are STK/Tangle? (i thought 7+)

tihocan
09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
from playing beta, i'd say that there was enough free content to level to 4, painfully to 5.

has this changed?

what level are STK/Tangle? (i thought 7+)
From the free listings I've seen, there is at least enough stuff to level to L10.
STK/Tangleroot used to be done typically with L3-5 parties (on normal). It is possible that their difficulty has been increased in mod.9 though.

slaymen
09-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Concerning free to play quests there is enough content in Korthos and the harbor alone to be really close to lvl 5 by the time you come out. Then there are 5 free quests in the marketplace at around that lvl 6 if you count archer point defense. There are 4 free quests in house D, base lvl 4. Then you can get into sowerdusk isle which is has two parts one for lvls 5-7 and one for more around lvls 7-9. I could go on and on but you get my drift. There really is enough free good content to level all the way to10 or more. The only package that I consider a must have at the lower levels is probably Delaras. All the other lowbie packages are more just a nice to have sort of deal.

Kronik
09-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I know it is seems easier to run quests solo, but DDO and D&D were meant to be run in groups.

I would suggest you get comfortable joining groups or at least meeting a couple others who want to run the same quests you need.

Catacombs in a group is a walk in the park, so rather than spending more money right now on new quests, why not group up and run the ones you can right now.

TO be honest, VIP is the only way to go then all the quests open up.

LookingForABentoBox
09-03-2009, 11:52 AM
The end rewards are good, but I disliked the tangleroot quests, having to re-run the same zone over and over got kind of boring. I'm only level 8 and am more a less a casual player, but here's the adventure zones I've played, in decreasing order of how much I enjoyed them.

1. Catacombs - nice storyline, atmospheric
2. Deleras - very exciting but I felt a tiny bit too long so I gave it second place
3. Shan-To-Kor - feels just like a long version of the marketplace quests except for the last zone which is neat
4. Tangleroot - already wrote that I found it kind of boring, good end rewards though

deafknight
09-04-2009, 02:21 AM
hi, progressing nicely atm, about to enter misery peak at almost lvl 3. will keep posted on my progress :)

And, no grouping atm. I play a bit at odd hours, i have my childrens to care obout during the week end, and my game evenings are still devoted to wow raiding :-)

So far i missed grouping only for the locked chests / doors. All the mechanics i saw aren't taking advantage of grouping so far (i mean CC, Aggro...). Just had to kite once in the catacombs. Hope there is better tactical fights later :)

I wish hirelings could pick locks ^^

tihocan
09-04-2009, 09:08 AM
All the mechanics i saw aren't taking advantage of grouping so far (i mean CC, Aggro...). Just had to kite once in the catacombs. Hope there is better tactical fights later :)
Yes, tactical fights come later. The low levels are really trivial.

netarc
09-07-2009, 07:45 PM
On this topic, if one member of a party purchases a quest series, can he/she share it with the rest of the party? Or must each party member purchase the quest fir him/herself?

Arnya
09-07-2009, 08:18 PM
having to re-run the same zone over and over got kind of boring.

Heh, come back in 3 years and mention tangleroot without getting a facial tic.

Most of us vets can run the series drunk/drugged/asleep/comatose/blinded/with no mouse.

This is one of the best chains round for xp and loot, and you tend to keep the group together better than moving from quest to quest, which increases xp/hour because you aren't LFMing with fingers up butts...

Joseph
09-07-2009, 08:24 PM
That is not where I put MY fingers when LFG!
(really, fingers - more than one?)

Arnya
09-07-2009, 08:29 PM
That is not where I put MY fingers when LFG!
(really, fingers - more than one?)

Yes, multiple fingers and multiple butts.

Why people wait for 6 man groups is beyond me but it happens.

Best just to keep moving and gaining XP :)

Robi3.0
09-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Currently there is enough free content in game to get you to level 12 in a reasonable manner. If you want to shoot up in level quickly, I don't think you can go wrong if these adventure packs

Shan-to-kor
Tangleroot Gorge
Sarrowdusk Inland
The Vault of Night(if you like dragon themed raids)
The Ruins of Gianthold

Welcome to end game!

P.S. VIP is not the only way to go some people like the idea of owning a game over renting it.

FlameofAngband
09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
P.S. VIP is not the only way to go some people like the idea of owning a game over renting it.

+1 rep

If I had the cash on me, I'd just get me a lifetime membership (lol...pay around $200 to unlock all the current content and be done with it)...any of you vets add up what you have spent on this game over the last 3 years?

Robi3.0
09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
+1 rep

If I had the cash on me, I'd just get me a lifetime membership (lol...pay around $200 to unlock all the current content and be done with it)...any of you vets add up what you have spent on this game over the last 3 years?

I did and it made me sad. :(

Not really I have enjoyed every penny I have spent on this game.

FlameofAngband
09-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I did and it made me sad. :(

Not really I have enjoyed every penny I have spent on this game.

Mind if I use your P.S. quote in my sig?

Robi3.0
09-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Mind if I use your P.S. quote in my sig?

Sure thing boss!

FlameofAngband
09-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Sure thing boss!

Ham-tastic!

captain1z
09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Dont waste your time buying low level content. End game is where you spend the bulk of your time.

Buy

GiantHold - raid and some unique rewards
Meridia - 3 raids and tons of unique rewards plus greensteel crafting
Shavarath Invasion - its the new shiny toy all the cool kids have it

after you get those you can start buying all the low end stuff if you want but getting to 9th level is easy on free content. If you cant get into gianthold you will be stuck at 9th level for a very long time.

If you dont have limited cash then go with

Sharn Sydacate
Tangleroot
Deleras
CO6
then the ones I suggested above