PDA

View Full Version : cause and effect

Intrepid
09-02-2009, 09:50 AM
With a little homework and some asking around, I was able to determine that the Mockduck name had in fact been saved as a courtesy and not taken with malicious intent. Said person likes the ddocast shows, and was hoping to get the name and hand it over before someone else with less scruples could effectively cybersquat the name. I was told that said person's work kept them from their computer, negating any chance of sending a pm off, and that they returned to the forums later in the day only to see the angry posts and that another user was being implied as the perpetrator for taking the name. Said person released the name as soon as possible so that the other user wouldn't be the focal point of the misplaced rage, and didn't bother with sending a pm out as the damage had already been done.

I can understand the frustration these people might have felt since their personality is synonymous with a certain name or phrase that is well known and respected. But to single people out and call them names doesn't help the ddo community, or game, at all. This is not the type of thing that I was hoping new players would see, and I hope that they don't think all of the big players in the ddo community act in this fashion.

rnor6084
09-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Im thinking if i was the person wrongfully accused i would file a harassment ticket.

As far as i know no one legally owns their names on here and i cant imagine how someone taking your name is a form of harassment.

LewsTherin
09-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Im thinking if i was the person wrongfully accused i would file a harassment ticket.

As far as i know no one legally owns their names on here and i cant imagine how someone taking your name is a form of harassment.

Agreed. As long as their not flaunting it in your face buy "harassing" you of course.

Jonny_D
09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
i would only be disappointed if they didnt use the name on an active player. to take a name you never intend to use is harassment of a sort. I got all the ones (over 20) i wanted but 1 so no big deal...

Mockduck
09-02-2009, 01:01 PM
With a little homework and some asking around, I was able to determine that the Mockduck name had in fact been saved as a courtesy and not taken with malicious intent. Said person likes the ddocast shows, and was hoping to get the name and hand it over before someone else with less scruples could effectively cybersquat the name. I was told that said person's work kept them from their computer, negating any chance of sending a pm off, and that they returned to the forums later in the day only to see the angry posts and that another user was being implied as the perpetrator for taking the name. Said person released the name as soon as possible so that the other user wouldn't be the focal point of the misplaced rage, and didn't bother with sending a pm out as the damage had already been done.

I can understand the frustration these people might have felt since their personality is synonymous with a certain name or phrase that is well known and respected. But to single people out and call them names doesn't help the ddo community, or game, at all. This is not the type of thing that I was hoping new players would see, and I hope that they don't think all of the big players in the ddo community act in this fashion.

Interesting. I'm glad that this got cleared up. I do thank (in hindsight) the person who did it, although it would have been nice to get a PM as soon as the name was taken in order to prevent any confusion. Still, I am glad that whoever did it released the name and appreciate their help to secure the name to begin with.

Of course, I never accused one person in particular publicly of doing anything, it just seemed odd that my name and a number of others were "taken" early on. I also never called anyone a name, other than to say that if it was done maliciously then that wasn't a very nice thing to do.

Someone in a different thread had asked about how I could file a harassment ticket over a name, since all names are up for grabs. This is true! Under most conditions, filing a harassment ticket would do nothing. However, it was my thought at the time that if someone deliberately took my and other people's names (and at least two well known guild names), then as a group that might be considered harassment, since the names would have potentially been taken en masse as a way to grief, which might fall under Turbine's harassment policy. Ultimately, it was through trying to file the harassment ticket that I learned that the name had been released, so no actual ticket was ever filed.

Anyway, I think this closes the book on the subject. Sorry to any DDOcast listener who tried to help and felt like they ended up being punished for their help. Still, you have to look at it from the cumulative perspective of me and others finding our names quickly taken. A quick PM or email would have been great. I'm easy to get a hold of and quick to respond. Thanks!

Intrepid
09-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Interesting. I'm glad that this got cleared up. I do thank (in hindsight) the person who did it, although it would have been nice to get a PM as soon as the name was taken in order to prevent any confusion. Still, I am glad that whoever did it released the name and appreciate their help to secure the name to begin with.

As noted above, said person was prevented from sending a pm due to their work obligations at the time.

I also never called anyone a name, other than to say that if it was done maliciously then that wasn't a very nice thing to do.

I believe you had this to say about the person, found in separate threads:

You've also made sure that I will not be playing on Cannith. Jerk.
Guess I won't be playing on Cannith either! Some A#$hat took Mockduck.

Anyway, I think this closes the book on the subject. Sorry to any DDOcast listener who tried to help and felt like they ended up being punished for their help. Still, you have to look at it from the cumulative perspective of me and others finding our names quickly taken. A quick PM or email would have been great. I'm easy to get a hold of and quick to respond. Thanks!

As noted above, said person was prevented from sending a pm due to their work obligations at the time. It sounds like a pm was forthcoming until said person saw the reaction on the forums, as I can only imagine they did not want to draw what could have been negative attention to themselves because of this 'cumulative perspective'.

Impaqt
09-02-2009, 01:53 PM
As noted above, said person was prevented from sending a pm due to their work obligations at the time.

I believe you had this to say about the person, found in separate threads:

You've also made sure that I will not be playing on Cannith. Jerk.
Guess I won't be playing on Cannith either! Some A#$hat took Mockduck.

As noted above, said person was prevented from sending a pm due to their work obligations at the time. It sounds like a pm was forthcoming until said person saw the reaction on the forums, as I can only imagine they did not want to draw what could have been negative attention to themselves because of this 'cumulative perspective'.

So you....er.... He can play DDO at work but doesnt have access to email?

It also would of been very easy to send Jerry a PM or email before hand if they planned on doing this noble deed.

"Hey Jerry, I'm going to be around Tuesday morning ad shoul dbe able to get onto Cannith as son as its open, would you like me to reserve the name Mockduck for you to make sure it doesnt get snagged?"

Sorry to be so pessimistic about this, But my Guild is a victim as well.

Its very easy to say "I had the best Intentions" after someone called you out about it. Jerry is also a very understanding guy. I'm sure if the offender PM'd him and said "hey, I took the name, I meant to PM you but got busy" All hard feeling would of went right out the door.

Jonny_D
09-02-2009, 02:27 PM

It also would of been very easy to send Jerry a PM or email before hand if they planned on doing this noble deed.

"Hey Jerry, I'm going to be around Tuesday morning ad shoul dbe able to get onto Cannith as son as its open, would you like me to reserve the name Mockduck for you to make sure it doesnt get snagged?"

Its very easy to say "I had the best Intentions" after someone called you out about it. Jerry is also a very understanding guy. I'm sure if the offender PM'd him and said "hey, I took the name, I meant to PM you but got busy" All hard feeling would of went right out the door.

/qft

RictrasShard
09-02-2009, 02:27 PM

I don't know if this was the case here, but I've had jobs before where you sit around doing nothing for awhile, then suddenly have to attend to something without any delay whatsoever.

Impaqt
09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't know if this was the case here, but I've had jobs before where you sit around doing nothing for awhile, then suddenly have to attend to something without any delay whatsoever.

Still would be nice to Send Jerry a PM now about the incident.

Mockduck
09-02-2009, 03:10 PM

I definitely would not have "targeted" anyone who sent me a pm or email saying what they'd done. It would have been helpful and I wouldn't have been a jerk to them. Frankly, I wouldn't have "targeted" anyone who sent me a pm or email saying they'd taken the name maliciously and weren't going to give it back either. I'm not a vengeful person, although I probably would have filled out that harassment report in-game and not done any kind of "public" response.

Good point about the original comment, I was angry that someone had taken the name. I apologize if the person who tried to help out was mad, but you have to see it from my perspective of what had happened at the time. Before posting, I'd gone though my IM, email and PM list to see if someone had "reserved" it for me, but had nothing. Total silence all day. Which led me to think that the effort was not charitable in nature. I was wrong in hindsight, but how was I supposed to know?

Intrepid
09-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I believe that you are making the insinuation that said person was I. Please provide any evidence you have that defends that statement and brought you to that conclusion. Furthermore, it would appear that you believe said person is a he and can play ddo at work. At no time did I indicate that said person was a he or she, nor did I indicate said person was even at work, but rather that said person's work prevented them from sending the pm.

I am unable to speculate as to whether said person had the intention of doing Jerry a favor beforehand, or that the idea occured to them on the spur of the moment. Obviously if it was the latter, then such a pm would not have been possible.

As was mine. A buddy in my guild was unable to get their main's name. However, I did not let my emotion cloud the issue of working to get that name to them for their use.

I will not speculate as to what Jerry's response may or may not have been had a pm been sent later in the day, especially considering what had been posted in the forums up to that point.

Impaqt
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
I believe that you are making the insinuation that said person was I. Please provide any evidence you have that defends that statement and brought you to that conclusion. Furthermore, it would appear that you believe said person is a he and can play ddo at work. At no time did I indicate that said person was a he or she, nor did I indicate said person was even at work, but rather that said person's work prevented them from sending the pm.

Nope, It was just an honest slip...

I am unable to speculate as to whether said person had the intention of doing Jerry a favor beforehand, or that the idea occured to them on the spur of the moment. Obviously if it was the latter, then such a pm would not have been possible.

As was mine. A buddy in my guild was unable to get their main's name. However, I did not let my emotion cloud the issue of working to get that name to them for their use.
Not a Character name. my Guilds name.... There are propbobly hundres of people that didnt get the exact character name they wanted.. My Guilds name is Unique. Moreso than "Mockduck" perhaps even.

I will not speculate as to what Jerry's response may or may not have been had a pm been sent later in the day, especially considering what had been posted in the forums up to that point.

You wont speculate on his response, but you'll post unconfirmed 2nd hand info? ANyone who is "Nice enough" to grab his name so someone wouldnt take it maliciously probobly listens to the DDOCast. ANyone who listend to th epodcast knows Jerry isnt a vengeful person. Shut.. Hes not even Mean.... Because he said the person was an **Hat and a jerk doenst mean he was going to driver over to his house when he found out who it was and break their arm or somethin...

Intrepid
09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Good point about the original comment, I was angry that someone had taken the name. I apologize if the person who tried to help out was mad, but you have to see it from my perspective of what had happened at the time. Before posting, I'd gone though my IM, email and PM list to see if someone had "reserved" it for me, but had nothing. Total silence all day. Which led me to think that the effort was not charitable in nature. I was wrong in hindsight, but how was I supposed to know?

I am unclear as to why I have to see it from your perspective, that your anger is justifiable based on an assumption you had made.

I am also unclear as to your statement that there had been "Total silence all day". The patch was available at approximately 9:09am EST, and your two comments that included name-calling were posted at 3:08pm and 3:12pm EST. Merely six hours had passed.

Impaqt
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I am unclear as to why I have to see it from your perspective, that your anger is justifiable based on an assumption you had made.

I'm unclear as to why you would need to see it his way as well as you have reminded us that you were not the person who took the name. Jerry is simply using you as a stand in for the actual person who did this.

I am also unclear as to your statement that there had been "Total silence all day". The patch was available at approximately 9:09am EST, and your two comments that included name-calling were posted at 3:08pm and 3:12pm EST. Merely six hours had passed.

Total Silence onthe hijackers part from Launch until we heard from you at 9:50am. and evidentally jerry still hasnt gotten any word from the actual person who took the name

Mockduck
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM

You don't have to see it from my perspective, I was just letting that perspective be put out there for any and all consumption. Thanks for your post this morning, it was good to know more about what happened. Don't feel like anything is being personally directed at you. Let's let this one go unless there's something more to add?

Oh, and if the worst that can be said about me is that I used two "meany" names in posts written after believing that my main toon's name got hijacked, I'd say I'm doing pretty good. I'm sure there are far worse things that could be said about me! :)

Autolycus
09-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info. But I think the damage has been done. I'm a new player, only been playing since July. I remember when creating my characters on the live server I chose, that trying to come up with a reasonable name that hadn't been used was a chore. I'm sure they would never be available across all servers. For all I know, there are other players on the other servers playing with the same character names as I.

I can see how someone choosing a name on a clean server could easily coincide with a name used on another server. No disrepect, but until this thread, I don't remember ever seeing the name Mockduck, but again I'm new. Also, I'm certain some players never come to the forums. I don't know if this or another name was taken in innocence or out of spite.

The most disturbing thing to me right now, is the witch hunt that ensued by, as was stated above, the "big players" in the DDO community. There was no evidence if this, or any other name conflict, occurred innocently or out of malice, and apparently not much effort to determine the truth. There was just the presumption of guilt and malice, followed by proceeding directly to the sentencing phase.

To a new player, this incident makes the community come across as a "private club" with a "we'll let the newbies play since we need their money, but they had better do what we want, when we want, how we want" attitude.

Personally, I would not intentionally take a name I knew was used by some else, but it's impossible to know all the names in use, even the apparently "well known" ones.

This has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Autolycus
09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Still would be nice to Send Jerry a PM now about the incident.

Sometimes you can't. In my job, which is not my father's, when certain things happen, you have to attend to it immediately.

BTW, my father is a retired firefighter. When the bell goes off, you move.

rnor6084
09-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the info. But I think the damage has been done. I'm a new player, only been playing since July. I remember when creating my characters on the live server I chose, that trying to come up with a reasonable name that hadn't been used was a chore. I'm sure they would never be available across all servers. For all I know, there are other players on the other servers playing with the same character names as I.

I can see how someone choosing a name on a clean server could easily coincide with a name used on another server. No disrepect, but until this thread, I don't remember ever seeing the name Mockduck, but again I'm new. Also, I'm certain some players never come to the forums. I don't know if this or another name was taken in innocence or out of spite.

The most disturbing thing to me right now, is the witch hunt that ensued by, as was stated above, the "big players" in the DDO community. There was no evidence if this, or any other name conflict, occurred innocently or out of malice, and apparently not much effort to determine the truth. There was just the presumption of guilt and malice, followed by proceeding directly to the sentencing phase.

To a new player, this incident makes the community come across as a "private club" with a "we'll let the newbies play since we need their money, but they had better do what we want, when we want, how we want" attitude.

Personally, I would not intentionally take a name I knew was used by some else, but it's impossible to know all the names in use, even the apparently "well known" ones.

This has left a bad taste in my mouth.

You have some good points here. The sense of entitlement demonstrated by some founders and "big names" made me grimace.

Impaqt
09-02-2009, 05:00 PM
You have some good points here. The sense of entitlement demonstrated by some founders and "big names" made me grimace.

Do you really think its posible that someone out of the blue came up with the Guild name "The Infamous Flaming Vagabonds" and then decided they arent really going to use that guild name on the server, they are just going to hide it on a mule.

Really?

Ulurjah
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
They didn't display a sense of entitlement. They were upset (understandably) that a very high profile member of the community had his name taken. If you wiki Mockduck ... it's either some fried soy product or a famous immigrant asian mobster from the early 20th century. The odds of someone just randomly selecting the name without having ever heard of the DDOcast are very slim, especially considering the only people allowed on the server yesterday were subscribers.

What was the response of the long term members? They offered 100,000 plat (not a small sum) on any server for the return of the name for Mockduck's use. Man ... a 100,000 plat payday just to choose another name? That seems rather generous to me.

teapotdome
09-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Nope, It was just an honest slip...
Not a Character name. my Guilds name.... There are propbobly hundres of people that didnt get the exact character name they wanted.. My Guilds name is Unique. Moreso than "Mockduck" perhaps even.

You wont speculate on his response, but you'll post unconfirmed 2nd hand info? ANyone who is "Nice enough" to grab his name so someone wouldnt take it maliciously probobly listens to the DDOCast. ANyone who listend to th epodcast knows Jerry isnt a vengeful person. Shut.. Hes not even Mean.... Because he said the person was an **Hat and a jerk doenst mean he was going to driver over to his house when he found out who it was and break their arm or somethin...

after mockduck said " I'm not a vengeful person, although I probably would have filled out that harassment report in-game and not done any kind of "public" response." how is that to be construed? reporting to the authorities? really? for that matter what does "I'll give it a couple days or so and after that gloves are off." mean?

guilds are different than names, ill grant you that Impaqt. you cant start a group and call it American Cancer Society for instance, as groups have identities. guilds tend to be cross server (even game), maintain their own websites with a community identity that carries implied expectations. an individual name, no matter how unique, doesnt even come close to that weight.

anybody know if taking plat in game for a name violates the eula?

teapotdome
09-02-2009, 06:34 PM
i just now saw marketroid locked another thread related. my apologies in commenting if this isnt considered a new line of discussion.

Impaqt
09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
i just now saw marketroid locked another thread related. my apologies in commenting if this isnt considered a new line of discussion.

That thread was locked because I named names of people on a Different server that happened to have names of people on old servers. I admit, it was a stretch that that thread would be allowed to stay.. I even had the audacity to PM the staff to see if it coul dbe stickied... lol. What was I thinking?

The only names being tossed around in this thread are our own names. WHich is well within the rules.

Mockduck
09-02-2009, 07:06 PM
after mockduck said " I'm not a vengeful person, although I probably would have filled out that harassment report in-game and not done any kind of "public" response." how is that to be construed? reporting to the authorities? really? for that matter what does "I'll give it a couple days or so and after that gloves are off." mean?

guilds are different than names, ill grant you that Impaqt. you cant start a group and call it American Cancer Society for instance, as groups have identities. guilds tend to be cross server (even game), maintain their own websites with a community identity that carries implied expectations. an individual name, no matter how unique, doesnt even come close to that weight.

anybody know if taking plat in game for a name violates the eula?

*Bad Al Pacino Voice, '...and I keep getting dragged back IN!!!'. * :)

I'm done talking about this for now, but I thought I'd address a couple of things:

1. In regards to the "harassment" ticket comment, what I was trying to say is that the best way to handle a harassment complaint is to go through the proper channels set up to deal with this. So, basing the complaint on a possibility that names were being taken for griefing purposes, I would have filled out the complaint and let Turbine investigate and come to its own conclusion. I would not have "named names" on the boards here or taken anything publicly, even if that person started sending me harassing tells. That would not be appropriate and I wouldn't do it.

2. Your comment about "gloves coming off" did not come from me.

3. I have no idea if trading a name for plat would violate the EULA.

4. If you read back over my posts on this issue, you'll see that in numerous posts I stated that I understand that no name belongs to one person, and that whoever had it had full rights to use it as they want to. Well, unless they were trying to pass themselves off as part of the show, but that was simply in the first comment. Anyway, if that bit wasn't clear, it's worth mentioning again.

Anyway, hopefully this 'debate' can come to an end. Sorry for anyone I upset and I'll do my best in the future. See ya.

Intrepid
09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh, and if the worst that can be said about me is that I used two "meany" names in posts written after believing that my main toon's name got hijacked, I'd say I'm doing pretty good. I'm sure there are far worse things that could be said about me! :)

I believe that this post illustrates exactly the reason for my original posting. Out of anger and/or frustration, an unknown user was the subject of name calling, and the above quote appears to make light of what you had done and belittles what occured.

The Forum Guidelines and DDO Code of Conduct, section one, specifically indicates that name calling will not be tolerated.

I have attempted to illustrate my point as clearly as possible, and in doing so, believe that this discussion has run its course.

Autolycus
09-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Do you really think its posible that someone out of the blue came up with the Guild name "The Infamous Flaming Vagabonds" and then decided they arent really going to use that guild name on the server, they are just going to hide it on a mule.

Really?

Not at all, guild names are different. Especially a long one like that as opposed to some three letter guild names. The odds of independently coming up with that guild name are low. Even as new as I am, I've heard of IFV, perhaps because as a new player, I've read a lot of your posts giving advice and help to new players.

My concern was that it was possible a new player might have chosen an established players name from a different server and that people were jumping to the conclusion that it was malicious. I don't know what really happened.

Also, let me say that I think the offer to buy the Mockduck name back was extremely generous by those involved. Though I would hate to think that someone who would maliciously, as opposed to innocently, take names would profit.

holyknowlie
09-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Also, let me say that I think the offer to buy the Mockduck name back was extremely generous by those involved. Though I would hate to think that someone who would maliciously, as opposed to innocently, take names would profit.

Since nobody is stepping up can I just tell you that it was me and collect the plat???

BTW: It wasn't me. I'm just greedy.

Uska
09-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Since they were doing the man a favor cool they should come forward and most would say good deal just they should have posted when they made the character, so there wouldnt have such a hub bub. but me I would have given them a hearty +1 for being thoughtful.

Hirosue
09-03-2009, 03:28 AM
You people whining about not getting your desired name and then grief someone because they got that name before you are a bunch of jerks. You have no entitlement to any name reservation.

You pay the same monthly fee as everyone else, posting a lot on the forums doesn’t give you any more so called rights than any other player to a particular character name.

Not getting the name you would have liked doesn’t give you the right to abuse or flame or harass any other player. Neither does it follow that you should create threads crying about it.

Quite frankly if you are some sort of big " name" on the forums you should have more respect for your so called reputation and standing, rather than going on a witch hunt.

Pretty much everyone who plays ddo and created new characters on canith probably hoped to get some favourite name. But its first come first served. And if you didn’t get the name you wanted tough luck. Try choosing another.

Four of the names I would have like had been already taken. And I was logged on and creating within 40 minutes of the servers coming up. But that’s just my bad luck. It doesn’t give me the reason or right to abuse other people playing DDO.

Someone else wanted the same name, this other person has exactly the same rights to choose a name that I do and he/she got there before I did. My bad luck their good.

What a shame to see such egotistical ravings in a post on a new server. I hope it doesn’t set a precedent for the future of Canith.

Jonny_D
09-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Jerry, I guess you have a nice little side bar for the next podcast eh ;):D

Waukeen
09-03-2009, 04:04 AM
this sounds like the craziest hostage and weirdest i.d. theft situation I've ever heard of. It is by accident, for blackmail, or out of spite? Perhaps making guildnames ddo wide not just server wide is the answer. The guild thing i get, but the name thing can get sticky, not so much when it comes to rare compound words like Mockduck, but moreso when its simple stuff that maybe tied to a particularly well-known person, like if deathknight was a well known person (i have no idea if it is).

(don't point any fingers at me I scarfed a bunch a names from the Venture brothers, names so good I'm thinking of switching to cannith.)

Uska
09-03-2009, 04:11 AM
You people whining about not getting your desired name and then grief someone because they got that name before you are a bunch of jerks. You have no entitlement to any name reservation.

You pay the same monthly fee as everyone else, posting a lot on the forums doesn’t give you any more so called rights than any other player to a particular character name.

Not getting the name you would have liked doesn’t give you the right to abuse or flame or harass any other player. Neither does it follow that you should create threads crying about it.

Quite frankly if you are some sort of big " name" on the forums you should have more respect for your so called reputation and standing, rather than going on a witch hunt.

Pretty much everyone who plays ddo and created new characters on canith probably hoped to get some favourite name. But its first come first served. And if you didn’t get the name you wanted tough luck. Try choosing another.

Four of the names I would have like had been already taken. And I was logged on and creating within 40 minutes of the servers coming up. But that’s just my bad luck. It doesn’t give me the reason or right to abuse other people playing DDO.

Someone else wanted the same name, this other person has exactly the same rights to choose a name that I do and he/she got there before I did. My bad luck their good.

What a shame to see such egotistical ravings in a post on a new server. I hope it doesn’t set a precedent for the future of Canith.

No some of the names are more known I mean who would take Mockduck normaly?except to save it for him or to grief him he does a special service for us all and should be given a little extra consideration for getting his name, most of the time you would be right about names but sometimes taking a name is done just to cause grief and trouble luckly this wasnt one of those times.

holyknowlie
09-03-2009, 07:27 AM
No some of the names are more known I mean who would take Mockduck normaly?except to save it for him or to grief him he does a special service for us all and should be given a little extra consideration for getting his name, most of the time you would be right about names but sometimes taking a name is done just to cause grief and trouble luckly this wasnt one of those times.

I think you're missing the point. Entitlement does not come from being a "big name" or providing a special service. While we all appreciate the service Mockduck provides for the DDO community, and while it was unfortunate all this snowballed into a huge event, stuff happens. No rules were broken and nobody (as far as I know) was acting in any malicious or griefing manner.

Also as far as I can tell this issue has been resolved but I felt I should contribute something resembling a constructive post.

WolfSpirit
09-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I can see where the OPs Friend was trying to do a good thing. I actually had a simular thought when seeing Mystic returning with no rep. I thought, He prob doesn't know about Many Pros from the Forums headed to Cannith. So I dropped a welcome back and a hint, but didn't want to alert any "funny" people to take his name should he want to join everyone there. SO once I got home I actually tried to get "Mystic" and a few variations to reserve for Mystic. I had NOTHING but good natured intenions too. And I'm not a great PMer but If I had been successful, I would have dropped the PM today from work. SO there would have been a 12 or 14 hour delay in getting that information to Mystic. Possible cause of an issue there too. So I can see how getting a pm or email ASAP could be benifical to the reciever, but some of us just aren't that punctual! But we are STILL good people!

teapotdome
09-03-2009, 08:55 AM
part of the sensitivity here i feel is that on ddocast there had been a long running discussion about new players and old players. started back when they covered the announcement of f2p and still was discussed last week. jerry mentioned it ongoing in the mail segment. new vs old equality - is new less equal?

we ARE not talking about fresh new players on cannith. head start is "Open to current and former subscribers as well as recent participants in the closed beta, the Dungeons & Dragons Online®: Eberron Unlimited™ Head Start begins 09/01/09." everyone who had access to beta, which is ALOT of returning players. the impression "reserving" gives is less equal and celebrities have the support and rich friends on other servers to help them get things new players cant achieve using the rules.

if anyone had continued to play using mockduck, or any other high profile name, whether they were community aware or not, they would have been a pariah. all the attention makes it an inviable choice.

as a social watcher, i feel the divide was reinforced by the reactions, not the act.

teapotdome
09-03-2009, 09:04 AM
as an aside to jerry,

long time listener, first time caller....

the above /questionreference i made to all gloves off was something impaqt said defending your name, not directed at you.

when/how did you stop being corduroy guy and get a different forum name?

Mockduck
09-03-2009, 12:44 PM
when/how did you stop being corduroy guy and get a different forum name?

Ah, another dark moment in my DDO life. :) Actually, since I use the name Mockduck a lot but used courderoyguy way back when I signed up for DDO (cguy is my old 'sign up for stuff on the internet' user name dating back to 95 or so), I took advantage of Turbine's offer to change your forum name once. Anybody can do it! Just PM Tolero and she'll do it when she gets time.

However, realize that it's a one time only thing, and not just cuz Tolero doesn't want to deal with it a bunch. Apparently, there's some tech out there that makes it impossible to "change back" so to speak. When I changed my name, I wasn't thinking about it's impact (similar to when I got angry about the name on Cannith this week), and some folks rightly pointed out that courderoyguy had a history that should have been preserved. Nothing could be done and Mockduck it remains now and into the future. I prefer Mockduck, but they were right. Nonetheless, at least now I have consistency across both DDO.com and DDO-Europe in addition to the servers.

And FYI - if you ever see a courderoyguy on some Internet forum like AtariAge, Adventuregamers and the like, that's me too. Nowadays, I tend to use Mockduck for just about everything. And yes, I realize that courderoy is spelled wrong....