PDA

View Full Version : To whomever has the name Mockduck

Mockduck
09-01-2009, 02:12 PM
You took my well-known main's name and that sucks. Of course, it's first-come, first to grab, so there's nothing I can do about it. I will, however, be keeping an eye out for you on the server to make sure that you aren't trying to pass yourself off as someone from the podcast. I hope you don't.

You've also made sure that I will not be playing on Cannith. Jerk.

(ADDED LATEST IN THREAD: Name is back! Here's a LINK (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2387483&postcount=25) to the post. Thank you.)

Healemup
09-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Here's to hoping it is someone who is saving it for you because they thought you wouldn't be on quick enough. I am sure they would get never ending grief from people who found them out.

Impaqt
09-01-2009, 02:32 PM
You took my well-known main's name and that sucks. Of course, it's first-come, first to grab, so there's nothing I can do about it. I will, however, be keeping an eye out for you on the server to make sure that you aren't trying to pass yourself off as someone from the podcast. I hope you don't.

And you thought I was joking didnt ya...

Lots of rude people out there....

Uska
09-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Knew something like this would happen and shame on them.

Eelpout
09-01-2009, 02:42 PM

I don't know what you are doing here Jerry, but this is hardly the Passive/Aggressive approach that we as Minnesotans are supposed to take! Plus you through in a "Jerk". This is SERIOUSLY borderline revocation of your "Minnesota Nice" membership card material.:)

On a side note, that does kind of suck that someone would do that. Hopefully it was just an unintentional faux paus. Luck though.

Mockduck
09-01-2009, 02:44 PM
What can I say, I'm a little angry about it. Shouldn't be too surprised, though. I'm sure whoever did it thinks they are "being funny". Oh well, that's the way things roll. Nothing I can do about it.

Twerpp
09-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Epic trolling.

CSFurious
09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
i was able to get some names but some were already taken

anyway, mockduck is pretty unique so whoever took it should be ashamed of themselves

Impaqt
09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Offering 100k for the name.

I'm covering Thelanis, Looking for folks to cover the other servers. See Cannith Marketplace Forum.

Mockduck
09-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm split, on the one hand, offering plat isn't going to kill me, but it does sort of justify this person's actions. I'd be willing to cover a 100k plat trade on Sarlona as well.

Impaqt
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm split, on the one hand, offering plat isn't going to kill me, but it does sort of justify this person's actions. I'd be willing to cover a 100k plat trade on Sarlona as well.

This is his/her chance to come clean and make a litte cash. I'll give it a couple days or so and after that gloves are off.

DDOZodiac
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm going to petition in game for the return of your name, and it's important Turbine understands why I will do this.

DDO has had a very checkered past, we have had to wait a long time for updates and for a while I've been investing in a product that I felt could be better.

Now Mockduck has produced engaging content on a weekly basis that kept me interested. This was far and beyond the efforts of Turbine and their marketing people, and such a contribution has help keep very many fans interested. If it wasn't for that podcast, I wouldn't be here today writing this, I'd have lost interested a long time ago.

I feel the name is unusual enough to presume this was done in malice, and so the individual responsible should know that this was very unwise, given that Mockduck has spent sooo much personal time adding to the DDO world and help shaping it into what we enjoy today. The DDOcast has been one of the highest quality podcasts out there on a consistent basis, and I feel it's unfair for the person who has been a supporter all this time, to miss out, just because a nameless individual thought it would be a good idea to inconvenience this person.

I understand the 'rules on names' it's first come, first serve, but since when does sneaky actions like this prevail over hard work and community spirit. As a community, we want the host of the DDOCast to be available on this server to play, as it's in our best interest, so I ask others likewise petition to reverse this selfish and antisocial behavior.

I trust Turbine will read this and understand the nature of the request being outside the bound of the usual naming rules, as it's someone who is a spokesperson for the community and having produce maybe over 100 hours of audio content, deserves special treatment.

Thank you.

rimble
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Have mercy on the poor vegetarian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_duck) noob who hath inflamed your wrath.

It's unusual, but nowhere near unique (says Google).

Mockduck
09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Have mercy on the poor vegetarian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_duck) noob who hath inflamed your wrath.

It's unusual, but nowhere near unique (says Google).

I did consider that before posting. That's where Mockduck comes from, he was created by combining wheat gluten with elven magic. :) As in his bio: "He is often served with vegetables over rice." Particularly by trolls.

I should probably calm down a bit too and not say that I will - never - be on Cannith. I'll just have to roll up a different name to use for that server alone.

However, I suspect the name was grabbed maliciously, because it is unusual enough that it wasn't likely to be an "accident" within the first six hours of the servers going live.

Thanks for everyone's support as well. Sorry to be so whiny today about it, just bugged me to see that name had been taken.

FoggyKnight
09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Maybe he liked you so much in your show that he wanted to make sure the name Mockduck was getting good publicity?

Mockduck
09-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Well, we do know that its a VIP who did these shenanigans, since only VIP's are getting into Cannith on September 1st. Someone with a sub and a grudge, methinks.

Jonny_D
09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Ironically Jondallar, my main name was taken but not Jondalar the name I called my PnP chars ect .

I want mine back too

DDOZodiac
09-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Ironically Jondallar, my main name was taken but not Jondalar the name I called my PnP chars ect .

I want mine back too

Well you still got the name that is featured in a fantasy fiction series, rather than the misspelling. Think yourself lucky you got the correctly spelt version, but again it does show that people are 'name grabbing' ;)

MMO companies should allow one name per week, to stop people carpet bagging other peoples names, and just concentrate on the names which mean something to them!

Ulurjah
09-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah,

It was a very small population of people who had access. Chances are very good that it is somebody who uses the forum and is active in the community. It's not a cool thing to do at all. I knew it was a small amount of people who were in quickly when I got Iluvatar ... that shocked me. I thought for sure the name would be taken already.

DDOZodiac
09-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah,

It was a very small population of people who had access. Chances are very good that it is somebody who uses the forum and is active in the community. It's not a cool thing to do at all. I knew it was a small amount of people who were in quickly when I got Iluvatar ... that shocked me. I thought for sure the name would be taken already.

I think it's very common for people to place great importance in names they use on a regular basis, but are just not a priority for others. Things like names with colors in, English words (especially prefixed with -death and -dark), names from popular fiction are always first to go. I've not bumped into Gandalf yet however!

I think your name is great, but certainly didn't cross my mind as a 'must have' hehehehe so I think you might have been good for a little while on that front! It's desirable, but I don't think it's going to be high up most people's priority list!

This does stress how some malicious behavior has taken place, people deliberately looking to inconvenience others rather than benefit themselves with someone jumping on Mockduck sadly.

abull74
09-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm going to petition in game for the return of your name, and it's important Turbine understands why I will do this.

DDO has had a very checkered past, we have had to wait a long time for updates and for a while I've been investing in a product that I felt could be better.

Now Mockduck has produced engaging content on a weekly basis that kept me interested. This was far and beyond the efforts of Turbine and their marketing people, and such a contribution has help keep very many fans interested. If it wasn't for that podcast, I wouldn't be here today writing this, I'd have lost interested a long time ago.

I feel the name is unusual enough to presume this was done in malice, and so the individual responsible should know that this was very unwise, given that Mockduck has spent sooo much personal time adding to the DDO world and help shaping it into what we enjoy today. The DDOcast has been one of the highest quality podcasts out there on a consistent basis, and I feel it's unfair for the person who has been a supporter all this time, to miss out, just because a nameless individual thought it would be a good idea to inconvenience this person.

I understand the 'rules on names' it's first come, first serve, but since when does sneaky actions like this prevail over hard work and community spirit. As a community, we want the host of the DDOCast to be available on this server to play, as it's in our best interest, so I ask others likewise petition to reverse this selfish and antisocial behavior.

I trust Turbine will read this and understand the nature of the request being outside the bound of the usual naming rules, as it's someone who is a spokesperson for the community and having produce maybe over 100 hours of audio content, deserves special treatment.

Thank you.

/signed
Devs, please make an exception to the rule for Jerry. He has IMO kept DDO alive in his own way. Maybe this could be your way of thanking his hard work.
\

I AM THE FPOON!!!

Rowanheal
09-01-2009, 06:15 PM
*sigh*

Jerry I am feeling your pain.

The name fairy took mine as well. I do NOT approve in the least.

I can't imagine why someone would take all our names???

If you see rowanheal running around, so far, it ain't me.

:confused:

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Krysta_Shadowvol
09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
/signed
Devs, please make an exception to the rule for Jerry. He has IMO kept DDO alive in his own way. Maybe this could be your way of thanking his hard work.
\

I AM THE FPOON!!!

*sigh*

Jerry I am feeling your pain.

The name fairy took mine as well. I do NOT approve in the least.

I can't imagine why someone would take all our names???

If you see rowanheal running around, so far, it ain't me.

:confused:

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Mockduck and Rowanheal I'm really sorry to hear that this has happened to you and I fully support the Dev's Giving them both back there names.

especially since I saw a thread early today boasting about how they grabbed up character and guild names. The impostor's should become shame-on-u and shame-on-u-2

IMHO it's just plain wrong and they shouldn't be able to get away with it.

It's going to make reconnecting with friends on the new server challenging and I'm sure will take away from the experience for some players.

Rowanheal
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I can't imagine why someone would want the names unless it was to screw people.

I am going to have to make an announcement to not send pink things to Rowanheal on that server.

It will be the only server she isn't on.

I am beyond sad and pretty bloody riled up about it.

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Mockduck
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I was filing a harassment ticket on Cannith as suggested by Marketroid in a now-closed thread. I went to fill out the name of the offending player and realized it was not sending because Mockduck was being listed as 'not a character name on this server'.

Long and short of it, Mockduck is back!!!! Thank you.

It was a day of little rainy clouds over my head, despite the coolness that is the launch of DDO:U.

If you are the person to took the name and had a change of heart, thank you. If you are an in-game GM or whoever that took care of this and aren't saying anything, thank you. However it happened, thanks to whoever was involved for their effort.

If nothing had happened, I would have gotten over it, but it just goes to show that names are tough to find and sometimes even tougher to keep.

I hope Rowanheal and two guilds in particular are able to have their griefing issues resolved as well. Again, thanks!

Ulurjah
09-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I was filing a harassment ticket on Cannith as suggested by Marketroid in a now-closed thread. I went to fill out the name of the offending player and realized it was not sending because Mockduck was being listed as 'not a character name on this server'.

Long and short of it, Mockduck is back!!!! Thank you.

It was a day of little rainy clouds over my head, despite the coolness that is the launch of DDO:U.

If you are the person to took the name and had a change of heart, thank you. If you are an in-game GM or whoever that took care of this and aren't saying anything, thank you. However it happened, thanks to whoever was involved for their effort.

If nothing had happened, I would have gotten over it, but it just goes to show that names are tough to find and sometimes even tougher to keep.

I hope Rowanheal and two guilds in particular are able to have their griefing issues resolved as well. Again, thanks!

I'm glad it worked out Mock.

Uska
09-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Well, we do know that its a VIP who did these shenanigans, since only VIP's are getting into Cannith on September 1st. Someone with a sub and a grudge, methinks.

I understood beta people can get in as well or did I get that wrong?

Mockduck
09-02-2009, 12:57 AM
I understood beta people can get in as well or did I get that wrong?

I'm not sure about that. I thought today in particular was just for VIP's on Cannith, but I might be wrong about that.

Uska
09-02-2009, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure about that. I thought today in particular was just for VIP's on Cannith, but I might be wrong about that.

Found out others get in on the second. and grats on getting your name back and we will proably never know the full story of what happened.

Baron
09-02-2009, 09:03 AM

If whoever took it released the name because they had not anticipated how many folks would be upset and decided to release it on their own then good for them.

If however a dev pulled the name from someone who had it I hope that dev is in the unemployment line soon.

The same for someone advising that a harassment ticket be filed over someone taking a name on a new server. I listen to the podcast as well and think its good for DDO but he is not paid by Turbine and in the end is just another paying customer and either everyone had equal rights as a paying customer or they don't.

If they don't and some pigs are more equal than others I would like to know that right now before I put any more money or time into this game.

I would really like somone from Turbine to respond to this.

In the forums, not just the podcast.

rnor6084
09-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Im just curious. How is this harassment?

Unless you have some type of legal ownership of that name is it not free for the taking?

Eelpout
09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
If whoever took it released the name because they had not anticipated how many folks would be upset and decided to release it on their own then good for them.

If however a dev pulled the name from someone who had it I hope that dev is in the unemployment line soon.

The same for someone advising that a harassment ticket be filed over someone taking a name on a new server. I listen to the podcast as well and think its good for DDO but he is not paid by Turbine and in the end is just another paying customer and either everyone had equal rights as a paying customer or they don't.

If they don't and some pigs are more equal than others I would like to know that right now before I put any more money or time into this game.

I would really like somone from Turbine to respond to this.

In the forums, not just the podcast.

If the person who took the name of MockDuck, Rowanheal, and 2 fairly prominant guild names and was also bragging about it, (not saying that was the case) then it is clearly a case of harassment. Don't start calling people out or saying how they should be fired if you don't know the backstory.

By-the-by, there is no way a Turbine employee is going to come on these boards and explain to you what happened. If they do, come on to Ghallanda and claim 50K plat. I will consider that a fair "eating crow" price to pay for my statement.

Marketroid
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Players who believe that they are being targeted by an act of harassment need to pursue that with CS, not on the boards. That's our policy and it doesn't matter if the issue concerns names, in-game chat, etc. As with any harassment claims we investigate and evaluate the claim. If there's a compelling reason for us to take corrective action we do. We don't comment on the particulars of any specific ticket or issue, but to my knowledge there was no GM intervention involved in Mockduck's name being freed up.

And now that the OP's issue is resolved it's time to wrap up this thread.