PDA

View Full Version : Just need a review of my Char idea

CatchSnipe
08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm currently playing on a trial account because I plan on going F2P on Sept 9th. In the meantime I'm trying to become accustomed to the gameplay of DDO. Also, I'm testing different character types that I think I am interested in playing. The main idea that I would like to focus on is an Elven fighter. The design idea is inspired by the Warhammer Fantasy unit, the Wood Elf Wardancers. What I would like is suggestions on how to pace my feat and enhancements, possible snags I may run into at higher levels, and also suggestions to fill in the holes in my character plan (it's not finished yet). So Here goes...

Character Idea

Synopsis: An elven fighter who leans more to DPS but can do some "evasion" and "avoidance" tanking. The plan is to go THF using a Falchion and the upcoming Elven Falchion racial enhancements. Also, I want to take the character along the Kensai PrE path. In addition to the feats needed for Kensai and Full THF, I also want to take the whole Dodge feat tree to include Mobility, Whirlwind and Spring Attack. With this, I'm planning on "dancing" around in a fight with Tumble, Spring Attack and Mobility (with possible Mobility enhancements) in order to achieve a higher AC. With whatever feats are left, I would also like to have a couple tactics (primarily Improved Trip) and maybe also the +2 Will save feat (as I'm putting no points into Wis.) I also plan on throwing in 2 lvls of rogue at some point to get Evasion since I will have a higher Ref save. I plan on focusing on Str and Dex with my ability increases, or maybe just Str. Below are the quantitative bits for those who want to see my planned stats rather than read a book.

Elven Fighter (Ftr 18 / Rog 2)

28 pts, no Tomes

Beginning Stats:
Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 8
Cha: 8

Planned End Stats: (w/ 1750 Favor Tome)
Str: 20
Dex: 19

Skills Trained: (Could someone please calculate what my end totals would be?)
Intimidate
Jump
Tumble
Balance

Feats: 17 (Taken, not Granted)
WF: Slash
GWF: Slash
SWF: Slash
WS: Slash
GWS: Slash
IC: Slash
Combat Exp
Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack
Whirlwind Attack
THF
ITHF
GTHF
Improved Trip
Power Attack
Iron will

Enhancement Groups (And highest Levels) Total AP spent: 56 (so far)
Valenar Elf Melee Damage II (Total 6 AP)
Valenar Elf Melee Attack II (Total 6 AP)
Fighter Attack Boost IV (Total 10 AP)
Fighter Critical Accuracy (Total 10 AP)
Fighter Kensai III (Total 8 AP)
Kensai Falchion Mastery III (Total 3 AP)
Fighter Falchion Specialization (Total 3 AP)
Fighter Mobility III (Total 10 AP)

Any suggestions on fleshing out my character? Or anything I may want to change? Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep the flavor of a elven fighter gracefully dodging blows while dancing around his enemies and attacking w/ precision strikes. Also, I'm not looking for a sole end game build, I want my character to keep it's flavor through all levels, so no holding out on dodge and Mobility until lvl 16 or something like that.

Deagan
08-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi.
I would have thought the Ranger Tempest PrE would suit a wardancer better.
Would you be willing to drop Kensai III down to II? Dodge, Mobility & Spring Attack are all required for tempest & you get 2WF feats as u lvl a ranger, I know u wanted to use a Falchion but they are the slowest weapon in the game iirc. Maybe 2WF with Scimitars and Tempest would suit the concept?
G.

Haribo
08-28-2009, 10:43 AM
It is my understanding that they fixed the swingspeeds in the new mod, meaning that a falchion will swing at the same speed as a greataxe.
If he wants to go for THF for flavor, then falchion might be the best option on a char like that.
As a newbie to the game, this is actually a very solid build.
If you want a dancing around type of character then 18 ranger might be better for you. Maybe 18/1/1 ranger/rogue/monk? You can find a detailed build somewhere on the character builds forums, the name i believe is exploiter. That means going two-weapon fighting instead of two-handed fighting though. Scimitars are a good suggestion from the pervious poster.
At the end, its all up to you.

Aranticus
08-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi.
I would have thought the Ranger Tempest PrE would suit a wardancer better.
Would you be willing to drop Kensai III down to II? Dodge, Mobility & Spring Attack are all required for tempest & you get 2WF feats as u lvl a ranger, I know u wanted to use a Falchion but they are the slowest weapon in the game iirc. Maybe 2WF with Scimitars and Tempest would suit the concept?
G.

negative, thf swing speed will be fixed next mod, making them by far the best of 2 handed weapons

Aranticus
08-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm currently playing on a trial account because I plan on going F2P on Sept 9th. In the meantime I'm trying to become accustomed to the gameplay of DDO. Also, I'm testing different character types that I think I am interested in playing. The main idea that I would like to focus on is an Elven fighter. The design idea is inspired by the Warhammer Fantasy unit, the Wood Elf Wardancers. What I would like is suggestions on how to pace my feat and enhancements, possible snags I may run into at higher levels, and also suggestions to fill in the holes in my character plan (it's not finished yet). So Here goes...

Character Idea

Synopsis: An elven fighter who leans more to DPS but can do some "evasion" and "avoidance" tanking. The plan is to go THF using a Falchion and the upcoming Elven Falchion racial enhancements. Also, I want to take the character along the Kensai PrE path. In addition to the feats needed for Kensai and Full THF, I also want to take the whole Dodge feat tree to include Mobility, Whirlwind and Spring Attack. With this, I'm planning on "dancing" around in a fight with Tumble, Spring Attack and Mobility (with possible Mobility enhancements) in order to achieve a higher AC. With whatever feats are left, I would also like to have a couple tactics (primarily Improved Trip) and maybe also the +2 Will save feat (as I'm putting no points into Wis.) I also plan on throwing in 2 lvls of rogue at some point to get Evasion since I will have a higher Ref save. I plan on focusing on Str and Dex with my ability increases, or maybe just Str. Below are the quantitative bits for those who want to see my planned stats rather than read a book.

Elven Fighter (Ftr 18 / Rog 2)

28 pts, no Tomes

Beginning Stats:
Str: 16
Dex: 16

Planned End Stats: (w/ 1750 Favor Tome)
Str: 20
Dex: 19

Skills Trained: (Could someone please calculate what my end totals would be?)
Intimidate
Jump
Tumble
Balance

Feats: 17 (Taken, not Granted)
WF: Slash
GWF: Slash
SWF: Slash
WS: Slash
GWS: Slash
IC: Slash
Combat Exp
Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack
Whirlwind Attack
THF
ITHF
GTHF
Improved Trip
Power Attack
Iron will

Enhancement Groups (And highest Levels) Total AP spent: 56 (so far)
Valenar Elf Melee Damage II (Total 6 AP)
Valenar Elf Melee Attack II (Total 6 AP)
Fighter Attack Boost IV (Total 10 AP)
Fighter Critical Accuracy (Total 10 AP)
Fighter Kensai III (Total 8 AP)
Kensai Falchion Mastery III (Total 3 AP)
Fighter Falchion Specialization (Total 3 AP)
Fighter Mobility III (Total 10 AP)

Any suggestions on fleshing out my character? Or anything I may want to change? Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep the flavor of a elven fighter gracefully dodging blows while dancing around his enemies and attacking w/ precision strikes. Also, I'm not looking for a sole end game build, I want my character to keep it's flavor through all levels, so no holding out on dodge and Mobility until lvl 16 or something like that.

OP, if you have such a high dex, i recommend going for twf feats and dual wield scimitars instead. if you insist on using thf, i suggest dropping the idea of whirlwind. not only it breaks you attack chain, it is slow as well. more importantly, as a thf build with such a low con is suicide

eonfreon
08-28-2009, 11:04 AM
As has been mentioned before, since you have such a high Dex, you'd be better served with TWF.

Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep the flavor of a elven fighter gracefully dodging blows while dancing around his enemies and attacking w/ precision strikes.

When I think "precision strikes" I think of a TWF melee focusing his attacks on one opponent more then of a THF melee swinging at multiple opponents and striking Glancing Blows.

Just seems a shame to not use that high Dex to get TWF.
And TWF seems to work with the flavor you're looking for.
And is still more dps.

CatchSnipe
08-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the help so far. Aranticus, I just want to say that I looked to your whirling dervish build when I was looking for a template to base the build on. I know everyone really suggested going TWF with scimitars but I think I'm really going to stick with THF as I like the look. This is actually a character whom I would like to RP with, so, as people know with RP, style is 50% or more of the build. If whirlwind isn't such a good attack, is there anything that might replace it? Is something like cleave worth getting? Also, I'd like input on using mobility and the enhancements to have a high AC while tumbling. I pumped Dex because I was thinking of also getting the Fighter max Dex bonus enhancements to help raise my AC. Because of my low CON and HP, I was planning to be an off-tank/DPS primarily and main tank with tumbling/mobility/intimidate if need be.

Angelus_dead
08-30-2009, 12:40 PM
In addition to the feats needed for Kensai and Full THF, I also want to take the whole Dodge feat tree to include Mobility, Whirlwind and Spring Attack. With this, I'm planning on "dancing" around in a fight with Tumble, Spring Attack and Mobility (with possible Mobility enhancements) in order to achieve a higher AC.
Ok, here is a major problem:
You're talking about Tumble, Mobility, Whirlwind, and Spring Attack as if they were useful.

The reality is that they are not useful. They will cause your character to perform barely better than if you had somehow taken blank feats in those slots. It's even possible that having Whirlwind could cause you to do worse than if you had no feat.

Evaluations:
Tumble- The good use of Tumble is to keep moving even after suffering some kind of running speed debuff, such as the self-debuff from Stalwart Defender. It is not helpful to use in normal melee, because during the Tumble animation you can neither attack nor block.

Mobility- Provides an AC bonus while Tumbling. That is unhelpful, because to Tumble means to stop attacking. If you were willing to stop attacking for more defense, you could simply block with a shield for much more total protection.

Spring Attack- Cancels an attack penalty while moving. Since you can't attack while Tumbling, this would not apply in conjunction with the above abilities; it only works if you're running. But there isn't a lot of need to run during combat, and a -4 on attack rolls isn't a big problem in the first place. If a -4 does matter, then the lack of the iterative attack bonus from standing still will also be a problem, and Spring Attack won't solve it.

Whirlwind- Attacks all monsters in an AOE around you. That is rarely helpful because you're unlikely to have a lot of monsters surrounding you. If you are surrounded by monsters, then probably either (a) they're too weak to care much about, or (b) you're in big trouble. A very similar AOE attack capability is provided by the Cleave and Great Cleave feats, which not only are trainable with many fewer prerequisites, but also have much lower cooldowns, making them far more effective at the objective of increasing your damage output against groups of enemies.

Summary: Don't do that; look for something useful to do. A pure Fighter might have so many feats that it's no problem to waste them on things of minimal value, but at least don't focus on them as if they were a real improvement. If you want to move around while fighting, you can just do that without spending feats on it.

daniel7
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Most importantly you have to survive. Things that help you survive are: high saves, high ac, high damage reduction, tons of hitpoints, and playing smart.
As a thf you need to do what you can to get a lot of hit points, this will be more challanging for you as an elf. Take atleast one toughness feat, this can give you 52 more hp if you spend the action points on it.
Your first level needs to be rog. I would instead focus on Intimidate, UMD, Balance, and Jump. One point of tumble might be helpful at level 1, this will allow you to tumble.