PDA

View Full Version : Combat expertise??

Maegin
08-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Worth rerolling for, as opposed to having power attack running all the time, and useing defensive fighting for that extra ac bump if nessicary?

This also coming from my monk with Human versatility for that extra ac/saves/attack/damage pop on the fly if called for..

Uska
08-24-2009, 01:03 PM
I like running with CE just wish monk finishers didnt turn it off.

BlackRage
08-24-2009, 05:08 PM
CE really depends upon standing AC. Rerolling would depend upon lvl/loot of the character.

captain1z
08-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Worth rerolling for, as opposed to having power attack running all the time, and useing defensive fighting for that extra ac bump if nessicary?

This also coming from my monk with Human versatility for that extra ac/saves/attack/damage pop on the fly if called for..

Power attack is more bang for your buck so to speak. It always works no matter what situation you use it under.

Combat expertise however is only effective if your AC is already high. Its 5 pts of AC but in end game most stuff will still hit you and the whole time your fighting defensively you could be hitting for 5 - 10 more points of damage per hit. In some cases you will have sacrificed 50 pts over 5 swings and still get hit with the same frequency.

Monkey_Archer
08-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Worth rerolling for, No.

It is nice to have (yes my monk has it) but is not/should not be used that much anyway. Im not planning on rerolling, but if i do roll a new monk it probably wont have CE.

Where would the 3-4 build points into intel come from? Dex? Wis?
In either case you would loose 1 ac from PA mode. So -1 ac - 2 Defensive stance +5 CE = only 2 AC gained....

QuantumFX
08-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I definitely agree with Monkey on this one. It’s too annoying to keep turning on and the INT stat points have to come from somewhere.

Maegin
08-24-2009, 10:24 PM
No.

It is nice to have (yes my monk has it) but is not/should not be used that much anyway. Im not planning on rerolling, but if i do roll a new monk it probably wont have CE.

Where would the 3-4 build points into intel come from? Dex? Wis?
In either case you would loose 1 ac from PA mode. So -1 ac - 2 Defensive stance +5 CE = only 2 AC gained....

id put CON to 13 and use a +1 tome, and drop either wis down a few or str to get it to an 11 int, then use a +2 nt tome.

Im just glad i made my original monk without CE. 15 15 15 8 15 8 stats. +3 tomes in each.

ty for the imput, im glad i made the right choice.

Mobeius
08-25-2009, 08:00 AM
IMHO CE is one I have that I dont use all the time, and its really nice to have available. I your AC is below 60 I think its worthwhile sometimes. Being an average build and not an ac build I have to use it time to time. Is it critical? absolutely not, is it worthwhile? IMHO yes it is.