PDA

View Full Version : D&D Player Looking to Play

carthmen
08-14-2009, 09:05 PM
I was searching the net for D&D things since I was in the mood to play and no one was available and found this! Looks great! Some questions though from us who may have the same history as I.

What should someone who has only played D&D with books and paper know when getting into this, what to expect and not and what ever else?

What would a ex-wow player expect (got out of wow cause I got tired of being spoon feed everything by blizzard)?

Look forward to meeting you all, and await Mod 9 with great anticipation. Till then I'm trying out the Mod 8 Free Trail, downloading it now.

Lorien_the_First_One
08-14-2009, 09:14 PM
I was searching the net for D&D things since I was in the mood to play and no one was available and found this! Looks great! Some questions though from us who may have the same history as I.

What should someone who has only played D&D with books and paper know when getting into this, what to expect and not and what ever else?

What would a ex-wow player expect (got out of wow cause I got tired of being spoon feed everything by blizzard)?

Look forward to meeting you all, and await Mod 9 with great anticipation. Till then I'm trying out the Mod 8 Free Trail, downloading it now.

Welcome, I found the game the same way as you did 3 years ago and never left lol

From the D&D perspective...We don't have all the skills/feats/spells/classes/races implimented, but we have enough to have fun with it. We are using a spell point varient instead of spell slots. And the biggest difference, the DM is loot crazy so all the stats are inflated and vorpals can be in people's hands at L10.

WoW... we have our grinds, but this game is definately less tedious and less grindy from my brief wow experience. Not as much running to quests either, short runs then quest. Biggest difference though, combat is active. You don't click and watch your char fight, you click to swing, you click to cast, you can dodge rays, target missile attacks, your player skills matter just as much as your ability scores in many cases.

Welcome to the game, its a blast :)

Depravity
08-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Lorien pretty much nailed it already, so I get to be less useful. :)

Most, if not all servers have a help channel just so people can ask questions. (I can speak for Thelanis, but not anyone else)
Once you're in game try typing "/joinchannel help" in your chat window.
Typing /1 <text> will send text to it.

Jump in, kill some stuff, and welcome to eberron.

Ghirmeshk
08-14-2009, 10:29 PM
WELCOME! I add this:

The following post has much of the info you will need and will really help you adjust to DDO.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=173568&highlight=ddo+links

I hope you have a great time on DDO. Look me up if you ever want to try Permadeath. My guild's link in in my siggy.

SquelchHU
08-15-2009, 06:14 AM

What I've found is that concept wise and in terms of effectiveness, not a lot has changed from D&D. For spellcasters, spells that instantly kill, cripple, or control crowds are where it's at along with buffs, and spells that do HP damage only don't go very far. For non casters, those stay effective for a while because they (and everyone else) gets considerably more gear than expected so they can shore up their weaknesses and bolster their strengths. For Rogues, the DCs are still high enough and the searches slow enough that most groups would rather you not run down the buff timers trying in the harder areas unless they have to.

There are some exceptions though, for example fire wall ends up being good because active or not, they're still stupid and will happily burn themselves to death trying to get you. Easily expected, really. But generally, if you know what is effective in D&D and why, you know that what hasn't changed here is the same and you know how the things that have changed affect the overall picture.

carthmen
08-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Well, I have now played to game for about a week and so far love it. For anyone who my find this thread who has a similar background I will post this reply.

So far in the start the dungeons seem to be pretty much hack&slash. However now being level 5 the fights are starting to get more technical and can only assume that they will continue to get more technical (This is a very good thing). Also from the ppl I have talked to in-game the end game fights can be very technical compared to WoW fights which is exactly what I'm looking for, Blizzard just keeps making things easier fro everyone.

It seems to follow PnP as best it can for taking it into a MMORPG type scenario, oblivious there are some PnP things that must be changed just to be able to incorporate them.

It has been a great experience so far, the ppl are friendly and excepting. I have no problem finding groups as of yet, and have picked up quite well on the game I think.

What i would like to see come to the game first, and foremost is the AI system is way behind. I have read a small snipet about there being AI improvement in Mod9 but have not been able to find much detail as to what these improvements are. I guess Sept. 1st I will find out.

As a preferred tank character I also have not found much as far as threat mechanics for the game online either, perhaps because the AI is so low-tech? I don't know. Prehaps this is just a carry over from other MMORPG games that may not take place as much in DDO or at low level have neet seen much of as of yet.

All-In-All though really like the game and plan on staying with it.

PS. Sorry if there are a lot of typos and grammer in this I'm on my way out the door.

Carthmen
The Danger Dwarf aka. The Suicidal Dwarf

SquelchHU
08-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, I have now played to game for about a week and so far love it. For anyone who my find this thread who has a similar background I will post this reply.

So far in the start the dungeons seem to be pretty much hack&slash. However now being level 5 the fights are starting to get more technical and can only assume that they will continue to get more technical (This is a very good thing). Also from the ppl I have talked to in-game the end game fights can be very technical compared to WoW fights which is exactly what I'm looking for, Blizzard just keeps making things easier fro everyone.

Yes, that's true. Once you get past STK you start seeing a lot more strategy required. Even STK itself features some, at least at the end boss and on higher difficulties. And that's a level 5 quest at the end. I can't comment on anything higher than level 9 or 10, but it is a very noticeable change. For me it's both good and bad. Good, because I'm looking for the strategy too and bad because not all pick up groups are. Stormcleave + zerg is painful, and it only seems to get worse from there. I wouldn't mind this if it meant the zergs stopped, but they don't always which leads to a lot of wasted time.

What i would like to see come to the game first, and foremost is the AI system is way behind. I have read a small snipet about there being AI improvement in Mod9 but have not been able to find much detail as to what these improvements are. I guess Sept. 1st I will find out.

I would be surprised by this. Better AI means more lag, and the developer's stated reasoning for the Mod 9 Dungeon Alert system was to reduce lag caused by AI under certain circumstances. Doesn't seem like they would do something that would increase lag at all times. This is a design limitation of MMOs, though it isn't as bad in the instanced based ones as the data needs to be sent over fewer iterations.

As a preferred tank character I also have not found much as far as threat mechanics for the game online either, perhaps because the AI is so low-tech? I don't know. Prehaps this is just a carry over from other MMORPG games that may not take place as much in DDO or at low level have neet seen much of as of yet.

They do seem to go after whoever they seen first, or whoever did the most damage to them. No idea what else triggers it, other than trigger happy wf sorcs casting one too many scorching rays and getting the enemies' attention. Yeah... I bet the tank guys hate me for that. :/

Edit: Good thing though. DDO doesn't use the 'aggro mechanics' from its original source material. If it did, every enemy would make a beeline to any apparent spellcasters regardless of what they're doing. Which makes sense there, but doesn't lead to a whole lot of fun for everyone else.