PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Alert (DA) - A Great New Addition

shores11
08-03-2009, 01:17 PM
The addition of dungeon alert (DA) to the game is in my opinion one of the best new features coming out in module 9. This feature only makes great sense and logic. The player that can not see it as an added benefit to game play does not have their eyes open.

Modern Day Logic: (example)

A robber/killer runs through a major 40 story bank building in downtown St. Louis. He and his partner shoot and kill staff and customers that they come accross but by pass many of the people in their blind (zerging) effort to get to the 35th floor where the manager works that fired them 3 weeks prior.

Now will the people that was passed by be drawn to follow them for some time until their spawn zone is maxxed out or until the killers pull them to the 35th floow also just to kill them in all one be mass killing? No, I think what might happen is that the people left behind will call in more help (aka police or building security) and also may even notify the people and manager(s) throughout the building of what is happening. In turn giving the folks on the upper floors to prepare for the coming attack or hide and run, whatever their choice is.

DDO Game Play: Note - A great fantasy game will base its AI and play somewhat on reality and good sound logic.

SOME players in the game seem to think the the AI (artificial intellingence) in the game is just fine because they can run till the monsters get to the end of their spawn zone and will rebound to their starting point. They can also just pull all monsters to a point and cast firewall while the mindless monsters just follow along and die.

These are the players that complain the most because they could care less about the quest or the enjoyment of the quest. All they want is to zerg or run through the quest as fast as possible just to get the loot, xp or favor. To these players questing has no meaning what so ever (one might ask why the chose a game based on D&D if thats their play preference but that is another story).

I still enjoy the game as much as the day it launched 3 years ago because I enjoy the quest and anything Turbine can do to improve game play with questing in mind is a long term benefit to the game.

Very good job Turbine and the DDO team for recogizing this and improving our beloved game.

Kerrn_Siff
08-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I think most of us agree to an extent, but to artificially have the game, not the mobs, debuff the player because they are going 'too fast' to force us to play a certain way?

fail.

moorewr
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
You're in the section of the forum for screenshots. Might not get a lot of reads.

(Also I disagree with how this was implemented. :cool:)

shores11
08-03-2009, 01:23 PM
You're in the section of the forum for screenshots. Might not get a lot of reads.

(Also I disagree with how this was implemented. :cool:)

Didn't read that this was screenshot section maybe their should be a little mention of each areas topics.

I look at this addition as a better vision for DDO long term and is why I posted it here.

moorewr
08-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Didn't read that this was screenshot section maybe their should be a little mention of each areas topics.

I look at this addition as a better vision for DDO long term and is why I posted it here.

This is the description, just above the list of threads in this forum:
"Visions of Eberron Post links to your best DDO screenshots and videos here!"

Anyway, enough said about that subject.

Artis_Resistance
09-15-2009, 06:40 AM
I had this happen to me. I was catching up to my party in Water Works and just decided to make a run for it.

Bad idea!

Next thing I know, I'm being chased by fifteen Kobolds directly into another group of about five. It was one of the coolest things ever. The showdown took place right outside the door where the actual quest was. My party had already gone inside.

I did win though. I activated my Rogue haste enhancement and went to town on the vermin.

No idea if this is the actual intent of the DA system (I'm not even aware what it specifically does)... but it will definitely be something to remember.

Logicman69
09-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Really, you have to pull ALOT of mobs for the DA to go off green. I took my monk through STK last night just to see how fast I could do it (no real record time, but it was quick) and I never got off green at any point.

of course those firetraps at the end probibly had something to do with it. :-)

moorewr
09-15-2009, 07:08 AM
My most recent POP run: All went well till the fight with the warforged. He activated, the zone shifted plains a couple times, and up popped the red skull - with NO intervening colors . Needless to say the party went down. We had the casters recall came back in and reset and did the fight over. Never even went to green.

Something ain't right with that.

Arianrhod
09-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Bah, no screenshots in the whole thread. Let's see some redskull screens :D

Murgatroyd
09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
/agree

Dungeon Alert is a great addition. Yellow alert tells me it's a good time to drop a Wall of Fire or Blade Barrier. I can be more efficient with my sp usage that way :D