PDA

View Full Version : Request for ACTUAL flying monsters

sephiroth1084
07-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Let's see some monsters that fly around outside of melee range and attack from the air. They'd add some much needed variety to our encounters, and would provide a real reason for characters to carry around ranged weapons on them (and maybe even make being a ranged focused character worthwhile on occasion).

Why does a Pit Fiend stand and fight all the time when he can fly? Why does he become immune to attacks while flying around and hurling spells at us? Why do the dragons we fight never fly? Why are all of the mephits and beholders we fight hovering just above the ground?

Aerendil
07-17-2009, 03:44 PM
I'd imagine it's a coding issue. Not to mention a balance issue.

You make monsters fly and you have to give the melee folk some means of attacking them - i.e. Fly spell.
And if they introduced Fly to the masses, a number of dungeons would no longer be challenging.

At least that's the general impression that I get from reading the forums. I don't see why that would be the case, especially as some dungeons have hallways so small you can't avoid the traps even if you flew (i.e. lightning traps); and in other dungeons it's a perfectly acceptable tactic to Jump over a spike trap, so how would Fly be cheating?; etc.

But yeah, I agree 100%. It makes certain encounters much less epic.

Turial
07-17-2009, 03:48 PM

You make monsters fly and you have to give the melee folk some means of attacking them - i.e. Fly spell.
And if they introduced Fly to the masses, a number of dungeons would no longer be challenging.

At least that's the general impression that I get from reading the forums. I don't see why that would be the case, especially as some dungeons have hallways so small you can't avoid the traps even if you flew (i.e. lightning traps); and in other dungeons it's a perfectly acceptable tactic to Jump over a spike trap, so how would Fly be cheating?; etc.

But yeah, I agree 100%. It makes certain encounters much less epic.

Places with flying monster encounters could come with ways to obtain the fly buff (similar to in the reaver raid). That could provide the balancing factor. Having a raid boss that flew would add an interesting dimension to the game....the 3rd dimension!! One which few players are used to dealing with.

sephiroth1084
07-17-2009, 04:06 PM

I say, some fights (or some portions of some fights) should force people into a playstyle that is not their dominant role. In this case, it'd be pulling out that returning thrower or bow. Roles shift a bit, with some people who were doing poorer DPS previously would then be leading. Tactics change.

Turial's idea on including some mechanic occasionally that would grant Fly for a short time is also a good idea. I don't think we should necessarily have many monsters who only fly--a dragon's most powerful attacks come from full-attacking, which is inherently ground-based--but we already have a fight where the boss takes off (Harry)...he just doesn't interact well with us.

darthuvius
07-17-2009, 05:00 PM
we really need a fly spell. to the idea that it would unbalance dungeons, yes i suppose just like the firewall spell did.