PDA

View Full Version : I Won!

DagazUlf
07-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I got a really cool email from Wizards of the Coast yesterday:

Congratulations! You’ve been chosen as the winner of the Dungeons & Dragons Never Split the Party Contest!

Your submission was chosen from hundreds of entries for its creative and nostalgic reflection on the fun times you and your gaming group have had playing D&D. Now, we’d like to give you the opportunity to reunite your group at Gen Con Indy 2009 (Aug. 13-16)!!

See you cats there. :D

Gandolf0710
07-16-2009, 11:36 AM
gratz:cool:

Daerius of the Blessed Blades
07-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Congrats! Care to share the story with us on this forum? I'd love to hear the winning tale!

DagazUlf
07-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Congrats! Care to share the story with us on this forum? I'd love to hear the winning tale!

I am actually not entirely sure that I can at this point. There's a legal waiver and some other stuff involved.

Let me try to decipher all the legalese and see what I can do, though.

DagazUlf
07-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately, I think this part:

3. I understand that any material I submitted to Wizards pursuant to the Contest is the sole property of Wizards and may be used by Wizards for any purpose. I represent that I independently created all materials I submitted. I hereby assign and convey to Wizards all right, title and interest in and to the submitted material(s) (including all copyright and other intellectual property rights), and will take any actions reasonably requested by Wizards to effect, perfect or evidence the foregoing assignment.is really going to keep me from posting anything. :(

Arkat
07-16-2009, 12:27 PM

is really going to keep me from posting anything. :(

You're probably OK to post it as long as you acknowledge it's WotC's intellectual property in your post somewhere.

DagazUlf
07-16-2009, 01:39 PM
You're probably OK to post it as long as you acknowledge it's WotC's intellectual property in your post somewhere.

I'm not sure I want to rely on the ol' "Arkat said it was okay" defense, though. ;)

herzkos
07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
congratulations sir and Well Done!!! :)
I too would love to read it.
Maybe if you asked Wizards if you could post it?
or maybe they're going to post it on their website . . .
hmm, i shall have to check.

wamjratl1
07-16-2009, 02:03 PM

is really going to keep me from posting anything. :(

As long as you properly cite WOTC as the copyright holder, and you don't attempt to make money off of what you wrote or claim it as your own, you can post it here. They just put that language in there so you can't sue them if/when they reproduce what you wrote. Check with them and I'm sure they'll be fine with it.

Grats, btw.

sephiroth1084
07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
From the wording of that, you should be ok reproducing the story as long as you are not gaining any benefit from doing so and acknowledge that it belongs tot he devi--I mean WotC.

herzkos
07-16-2009, 04:36 PM
after reading the contest rules, I'm not really sure it would be
appropriate to post it here. At least the contest rules about "Never split
the party" that I read. the following is what the contest asked for:

Describe your original D&D gaming group including, identifying each member by first and last name
(in 100 words or less).
How did you meet?
Where did you gather to play?
Were you the Dungeon Master of the group? What was your PC?
Did you have any fun "house rules"?
What was your favorite game night tradition?
When was the last time you played together?
Why did you split up?
Why should WotC reunite your game group at Gen Con?
Your contact information (Name, email, phone).

Unless it was a totally different contest.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/neversplittheparty

DagazUlf
07-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Okay, Wizards got back to me and I can post whatever I wish from the submittal, BUT....

only after they've made their announcement next week. :)

PhoenixFire31
07-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Congrats!

Impaqt
07-17-2009, 09:55 AM
What exactly did you win?

Comfortably
07-17-2009, 09:57 AM

Some sorta free trip I'd guess.

DagazUlf
07-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Travel accommodations for 4 days and 3 nights, as well as 4-day convention badges for 6 of us.

UnderwearModel
07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Congrats.

I go to Las Vegas during that time.

One of these years I need to go to Gencon. Just to see it. But I might lose my inner geekdom by then.

DagazUlf
07-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Here is the official announcement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20090729).

I'll get some snippets from my entry posted in a bit.

DagazUlf
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Describe your original D&D gaming group (in 100 words or less).

We were in the Inn again.

The Sorceress Nafia was settled at a corner table with a goblet of wine while small whisps of flame danced about her head. Orgon was stomping into the inn looking guilty after "accidentally" knocking-out a horse with a reflexive punch. Sir Ducayne and The Bard were chatting up a couple of local lasses at the bar. The dwarven cleric Surma had settled near the hearth and seemed to be enjoying some stew while simultaneously listening to every single thing being discussed.

What trouble awaits?

©1995-2009 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

DagazUlf
07-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Were you the Dungeon Master of the group? What was your PC?

I was most often the Dungeon Master, but whenever I was able my favorite PC to play was "Bannor the Bold". Bannor was a human fighter that was physically and mentally scarred after surviving several adventures in the Realms of Ravenloft. (His penchant for stuffing holy wafers into the decapitated heads of fallen enemies became an obsession that definitely bordered on psychosis.)

©1995-2009 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

DagazUlf
07-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Did you have any fun "house rules"?

One of the most notable house rules was not-so-much a direct game rule as it was a rule for playing the game. Sir Ducayne was absolutely the most unluckiest die roller ever to grace the gaming table. As such, whenever there was a d20 to be rolled there was a procedure to help improve <his> luck. While reclined in his favorite gaming chair <he> would have to drop the d20 with his left hand over his shoulder, but only on to the hardwood of the next room and not the carpet of the dining/gaming room. A great commotion would then ensue as everyone scrambled to find the die that usually bounced all over the floor and would come to rest underneath any one of various pieces of furniture.

DagazUlf
07-29-2009, 01:59 PM
What was your favorite game night tradition?

At the time we were always underfunded and overly hungry. The local pizza place seemed to continually have a "Pizza-Pizza!" special for buy-one-get-one-free. We fully took advantage of that special to such an extent that the delivery guys didn't even bother knocking anymore and would just walk-in with our pizzas. Although, The Bard liked to warn us that Pizza-Pizza Night could easily be followed by Puke-Puke Morning if too many beverages were mixed with way too much pizza.