PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons with no monsters

darthuvius
07-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Hello, since lots of people like to run through dungeons without killing anything, do you think you could add in some dungeons with no monsters? You could make them in a super mario bros style if you like. Also you could have us use fly through some parts, I really like flying around.

Favis
07-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Hello, since lots of people like to run through dungeons without killing anything, do you think you could add in some dungeons with no monsters? You could make them in a super mario bros style if you like. Also you could have us use fly through some parts, I really like flying around.

hehe
:D :D :D

Uska
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
and free loot to I supose:rolleyes:

Psyk0sisS
07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Well, take away the mobs in The Pit and there ya go! Dungeon ala Mario Style

valorik
07-09-2009, 01:37 PM
would it be wierd if I said it could be fun? The problem would be when people get to know it they would loot run it without having any real challenge.

darthuvius
07-09-2009, 02:45 PM
the pit is my favorite quest, i still run it with my wizard in the hopes of getting rare loot. Turbine could make it so the only loot is the chance at a rare drop at the end, but even with a .01% chance people will probably just run it 100 times a day to get the item lol. Still, I think there is a solution to the free loot problem with this kind of dungeon we just don't know what it is, It might be procedurally generated dungeons but I don't know.

VirieSquichie
07-10-2009, 06:20 PM
would it be wierd if I said it could be fun? The problem would be when people get to know it they would loot run it without having any real challenge.

Well, the OP was specifically highlighting the trash mobs along the way that can be ignored and run past...nothing says the dungeon has to be devoid of ALL monsters.

A few doors with encounters behind them, or a squad camped out on a difficult-to-reach platform with a wheel to turn, or some snipers who won't try to follow but will happily pincushion you while you're in range are all ways to keep it from being a total loot run. And there are always end bosses to deal with, of course...

You could have a dungeon where all the chests but the end one are in optional side areas with no or few monsters, but aggravating physical obstacles. Players could choose to do a 5-minute loot run for just the end chest or take the (significant) extra time to get the optionals. I think a dungeon like that would be perfect for chances of named loot dropping. Even better if some of that named loot was visible on your character (or at least when the character was Examined) so folks would know you had the mad skills required to get it. Definitely want to make it binding if you did that, though...no buying your l33t status off the AH, now!

Pyromaniac
07-10-2009, 10:19 PM
/signed as no monsters would reduce the lag significantly

darthuvius
07-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I think this kind of dungeon could be implemented as a reward dungeon for doing other dungeons. Once you get enough of a certain favor, the mario bros loot run opens up and you can enter it once every three days or something. To make it a bit more loot worthy, if you fall you die, and are ejected from the quest for three days. Of course for the slowpokes there could be some big giant or something chasing you through it the whole time.

We might have to wait years, but if Turbine ever gets UGC out of the prototype stage, I'll definitely make a dungeon like this.

HeavenlyCloud
07-10-2009, 10:51 PM
I like the idea... need a whole quest with puzzles!

VKhaun
07-10-2009, 10:57 PM

This assumes mobs are the only challenge. Puzzles that randomize. Platforming tasks. Traps that can't be disabled and have ridiculously high save DC's and damage which will need to be timed.

Arianrhod
07-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Reminds me of that jumping puzzle video someone posted about during last "Festivult" - it was on some Asian server, I think, and definitely made the jumpers work to get to the chest at the end, even with no monsters ;)

Borror0
07-11-2009, 08:11 AM
You can have a lot of challenge with mobs and just requiring twitching skills.

I have no idea how popular of a quest it would be but I know I would love it for as long as there is no buggy edge like in CC.

Vivanto
07-11-2009, 08:13 AM

I'm pretty sure the devs could come up with crazy stuff that still makes an empty dungeon lethal to everyone.

If they can make it right, then by all means go for it.