PDA

View Full Version : Healing Enhancements

Gennerik
07-06-2009, 01:03 PM
According to Eladrin (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1972815&postcount=1), the following Cleric Prestige Enhancements are slated for future modules:
Exorcist of the Silver Flame
Radiant Servant
Warpriest

While this is fine (and I'm kind of looking forward to the Radiant Servant), I'd like to make another suggestion. The Hierophant is a Healing Prestige Class that has the following ability that can be chosen:

Spell-Like Ability

A hierophant who selects this special ability can use one of his divine spell slots to permanently prepare one of his divine spells as a spell-like ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities) that can be used twice per day. The hierophant does not use any components when casting the spell, although a spell that costs XP to cast still does so, and a spell with a costly material component instead costs him 10 times that amount in XP.
The spell normally uses a spell slot of the spell’s level (or higher, if the hierophant chooses to permanently attach a metamagic feat to the spell chosen). The hierophant can use an available higher-level spell slot to use the spell-like ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities) more than twice per day. Allocating a slot three levels higher allows him to cast the spell four times per day, and a slot six levels higher lets him cast it six times per day. If selected more than one time as a special ability, this ability can apply to the same spell (increasing the number of times per day it can be used) or to a different spell.Given the ultimate reliance on healing in the game, and often times the resources required of a healing class to supplement less-than-tactical gameplay or extreme damage by monsters with overly-inflated attack bonuses, I'd like to propose a similar enhancement line that would be available to any healing class:

Healing Spell-Like Ability I

Prerequisites: Level 5 Cleric (or appropriate level for other classes with healing spells)
Cost: 2 Action Points
Benefit: You can use Cure Light Wounds as a spell-like ability a number of times equal to 2 + you primary casting ability score bonus. Any applicable metamagic feats may be applied to the ability.

Healing Spell-Like Ability II

Prerequisites: Level 9 Cleric (or appropriate level for other classes with healing spells), Healing Spell-Like Ability I
Benefit: You can use Cure Moderate Wounds as a spell-like ability a number of times equal to 2 + you primary casting ability score bonus. Any applicable metamagic feats may be applied to the ability. Additionally you increase the number of times your Healing Spell-Like Ability I may be used by 2.

Healing Spell-Like Ability III

Prerequisites: Level 13 Cleric (or appropriate level for other classes with healing spells), Healing Spell-Like Ability II
Benefit: You can use Cure Serious Wounds as a spell-like ability a number of times equal to 2 + you primary casting ability score bonus. Any applicable metamagic feats may be applied to the ability. Additionally you increase the number of times your Healing Spell-Like Ability I and II may be used by 2.

Healing Spell-Like Ability IV

Prerequisites: Level 17 Cleric (or appropriate level for other classes with healing spells), Healing Spell-Like Ability III
Benefit: You can use Cure Critical Wounds as a spell-like ability a number of times equal to 2 + you primary casting ability score bonus. Any applicable metamagic feats may be applied to the ability. Additionally you increase the number of times your Healing Spell-Like Ability I, II, and III may be used by 2.

I think this will at least help reduce the resource requirement on healing classes, as currently the options (wands and such) rarely keep up with the healing demands inside of combat due to massive damage increases of monsters, resulting in healers typically falling back on lots of wands and Heal Scrolls, making them very expensive to play. Any comments?

Valezra
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
According to Eladrin (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1972815&postcount=1), the following Cleric Prestige Enhancements are slated for future modules:
Exorcist of the Silver Flame
Radiant Servant
Warpriest

While this is fine (and I'm kind of looking forward to the Radiant Servant), I'd like to make another suggestion. The Hierophant is a Healing Prestige Class that has the following ability that can be chosen:
Given the ultimate reliance on healing in the game, and often times the resources required of a healing class to supplement less-than-tactical gameplay or extreme damage by monsters with overly-inflated attack bonuses, I'd like to propose a similar enhancement line that would be available to any healing class:

Healing Spell-Like Ability I

Prerequisites: Level 5 Cleric (or appropriate level for other classes with healing spells)
Benefit: You can use Cure Light Wounds as a spell-like ability a number of times equal to 2 + you primary casting ability score bonus. Any applicable metamagic feats may be applied to the ability.

Healing Spell-Like Ability II

Prerequisites: Level 9 Cleric (or appropriate level for other classes with healing spells), Healing Spell-Like Ability I
Benefit: You can use Cure Moderate Wounds as a spell-like ability a number of times equal to 2 + you primary casting ability score bonus. Any applicable metamagic feats may be applied to the ability. Additionally you increase the number of times your Healing Spell-Like Ability I may be used by 2.

Healing Spell-Like Ability III

Prerequisites: Level 13 Cleric (or appropriate level for other classes with healing spells), Healing Spell-Like Ability II
Benefit: You can use Cure Serious Wounds as a spell-like ability a number of times equal to 2 + you primary casting ability score bonus. Any applicable metamagic feats may be applied to the ability. Additionally you increase the number of times your Healing Spell-Like Ability I and II may be used by 2.

Healing Spell-Like Ability IV

Prerequisites: Level 17 Cleric (or appropriate level for other classes with healing spells), Healing Spell-Like Ability III
Benefit: You can use Cure Critical Wounds as a spell-like ability a number of times equal to 2 + you primary casting ability score bonus. Any applicable metamagic feats may be applied to the ability. Additionally you increase the number of times your Healing Spell-Like Ability I, II, and III may be used by 2.

I think this will at least help reduce the resource requirement on healing classes, as currently the options (wands and such) rarely keep up with the healing demands inside of combat due to massive damage increases of monsters, resulting in healers typically falling back on lots of wands and Heal Scrolls, making them very expensive to play. Any comments?

Ick... who wants to spend 8 AP to cast Cure Critical wounds and a bunch of other lower cures a bunch of times? 2 Heal spells would cover all the hitpoints you'd recover from that entire line.

Val

Visty
07-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Ick... who wants to spend 8 AP to cast Cure Critical wounds and a bunch of other lower cures a bunch of times? 2 Heal spells would cover all the hitpoints you'd recover from that entire line.

Val

well, it is like the dragonmarks
free casting with lots of bang behind it.
imagine you use empower, emp heal and maximise on all those, they you get massive healing for free

with castingstat as wis mod which is easily at least 12 you get so much castings when taken all:
clw 20
cmw 18
csw 16
ccw 14

all these with all 3 metas mentioned previously....i doubt just 2 healspells would cut it...and afterall, those arent for free either, they cost sp

but imo we have to see how they implement the radiant servant, as in pnp they get all cure spells maximised and empowered for free iirc on hgiher lvls

Valezra
07-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't know... I'm sure 2 Heals wouldn't cover it (I was embellishing a bit before) but an empowered and maximized Cure Critical will pop for what? maybe 150 hitpoints? While it may be free it's hardly going to be useful compared to Heal. Also, you would have to have both empower and maximize on which would make your Mass Cures Overpowered. It's a good intention just not well implemented.

Hopefully the Cleric healing Prestige will get % reduction on the cost of their cure and heal spells across the board.

It would also be nice if the Exorcist received a huge damage boost to their smiting and alignment spells (though this would have to be coupled with more of those spells in the game).

I'm still holding my breath for Warpriest though... hopefully it's good.

Val

Visty
07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't know... I'm sure 2 Heals wouldn't cover it (I was embellishing a bit before) but an empowered and maximized Cure Critical will pop for what? maybe 150 hitpoints? While it may be free it's hardly going to be useful compared to Heal. Also, you would have to have both empower and maximize on which would make your Mass Cures Overpowered. It's a good intention just not well implemented.

Hopefully the Cleric healing Prestige will get % reduction on the cost of their cure and heal spells across the board.

It would also be nice if the Exorcist received a huge damage boost to their smiting and alignment spells (though this would have to be coupled with more of those spells in the game).

I'm still holding my breath for Warpriest though... hopefully it's good.

Val
well, you dont have to use it in fight, but you can still turn the unneded metas off for fights, and inbetween those, turn them on to fill the party up

or use only the free ones first and then turn off what you dont need and go with regular ones

there are many varietes to go with that

Favis
07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't know... I'm sure 2 Heals wouldn't cover it (I was embellishing a bit before) but an empowered and maximized Cure Critical will pop for what? maybe 150 hitpoints?
empowered and maximized, empowered healing Cure Serious with item (that gives 50% bonus) and maxim enhancment (that give 40% bonus) gives about 170 hp.
So I asume that Cure Critical with max item, enhancment and metamagic will give about 226 hp.

Gennerik
07-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Granted, Cure Light Wounds probably won't be much use in combat, but I pretty much use Cure Moderate Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds, and Heal, and that's only with Empowered Healing. I figure that Heal is pretty much reserved for your tank characters, but the others still work nicely on the lower HP characters. Having them for free at the very least gives you a good way to heal people to full after combat, or gives you something to fall back on when you do run out of SP.

BlackSteel
07-07-2009, 07:11 PM
make them all 'cure mass' spells and you have something more desirable

Gennerik
07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
make them all 'cure mass' spells and you have something more desirable

While I agree that it would definitely make it more desirable, I think it would make it more of a necessity instead of an option. Pretty much any healer would be required to have them. Allowing any form of the higher healing spells would probably require a feat selection and actually giving up a spell slot for it.