PDA

View Full Version : Barb Armor

Todash
07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi,

If i am a warforged Barb and I pick Adam Armor Feat are the only skills hurt swim,jump, balance ?

(I know the mith is a better option for a barb, but I plan to be a 2 hander and not duel wield so I was going to most of my points in STR and leave my dex at 13. I don't like how the mith armor for warforged looks).

Just wanted to make sure it won't cripple my character, I think I can live with the negative Jump and swim checks since with rage my STR will be very high...although balance I am not sure about.

Thanks for any info, I am a rather new player*

toughguyjoe
07-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Well i was looking around for a DDO official answer for you but i couldn't find one in the compendium. So i will tell you what i believe are facts.

You are not proficient with Heavy armor being a Barbarian, so you will recieve a Minus to hit equal to your body types Armor check penalty. Barbarians can only use up to Medium armor, so that is the reason why.

I believe Barbarians also lose their fast movement ability when in heavy armor and possibly their uncanny dodge? However these last two i cannot confrim as i have never played a barb in heavy armor of any sort.

Hope this helps and also hope some of the more DDO savvy guys can answer this for you, i'm more of a PNP 3.5 guy myself. Even though i've been playing for two years lol.

Todash
07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Well i was looking around for a DDO official answer for you but i couldn't find one in the compendium. So i will tell you what i believe are facts.

You are not proficient with Heavy armor being a Barbarian, so you will recieve a Minus to hit equal to your body types Armor check penalty. Barbarians can only use up to Medium armor, so that is the reason why.

I believe Barbarians also lose their fast movement ability when in heavy armor and possibly their uncanny dodge? However these last two i cannot confrim as i have never played a barb in heavy armor of any sort.

Hope this helps and also hope some of the more DDO savvy guys can answer this for you, i'm more of a PNP 3.5 guy myself. Even though i've been playing for two years lol.

Hmm I am not sure...

I went in game and made a quick barb with 17 str,13 dex,18 con picked adman warforged feat (-5 armor check) then equiped the very first 2 hand great sword with no stats.

In the equipment screen it says I am +3 but when I move it says -1 ?

Is there always a penalty to moving though while attacking or is this what you mean and it hurt my to hit ?

I can swing while not moving at +3 *

With -5 armor check should I have -2 to hit though if this does hurt barb ?

*EDIT*

I deleted that barb and made another one with same stats but picked Mith Armor and nothing changed, still said +3 while swinging and not moving and -1 when moving....So It does not seem to hurt to hit, unless I am looking at the wrong number.

I would like to know if it hurts run speed passive or uncanny dodge though, if anyone knows ?

Aerendil
07-06-2009, 01:00 PM
^^ That's normal. There's a -4 to hit when moving unless you have the Spring Attack feat (requires Dodge and Mobility as prerequisites).

I'm curious to hear more about the Adamantine armour feat, though. It would normally function as heavy armour equivalent, which a Barbarian cannot use. So I'm curious if there are any hidden penalties to using it. If there aren't, I'd say go for it.

SneakThief
07-06-2009, 01:48 PM

WF are always proficient with thier body type. (could you imagine not being proficient with your skin?)

Barbarians currently* receive no other penalties for wearing heavy armor.

Other than a 1 max dex and the expenditure of a feat for AC on a class that is known for having NONE, there are no reasons to avoid Adamantine body. Do remember that barbarian rage, the rage spell, and many of the rage enhancements lower your AC, making it mostly meaningless at high levels while raging.

*Game experience may change in future updates :D

Todash
07-06-2009, 02:56 PM
WF are always proficient with thier body type. (could you imagine not being proficient with your skin?)

Barbarians currently* receive no other penalties for wearing heavy armor.

Other than a 1 max dex and the expenditure of a feat for AC on a class that is known for having NONE, there are no reasons to avoid Adamantine body. Do remember that barbarian rage, the rage spell, and many of the rage enhancements lower your AC, making it mostly meaningless at high levels while raging.

*Game experience may change in future updates :D

LoL at that skin comment =P

Well I mostly wanted the admant for looks and role play I just did not want to break the class or something doing it.

So basicly as a STR focused barb
with admant, (no 2 weapons), I am losing out on reflex saves from dex and loss of skill in jump, swim,balance...and waste of a feat for the armor that won't matter much.

But is some AC still better than no AC ^_^ ? I dunno I never thought of Barb as a tank (Although I am sure there are builds to support that) I mostly just want to hit stuff hard.

Do you see the AC having somr use in situations where I should INtimidate but not Rage to save a caster from death or something ? The AC may help me survive ?

Also as Warforged Barb my starting stats on a 28 point build would be 17 STR, 13 Dex, 18 Con, 8 Int, 6 Wisdom, 8 Charisma The -2 will save worried me some...do you think I should make wisdom 10 ? Looking at the compendium It says barb gets enhancments for will save while rageing, so I thought this would help make up for the -2 as I will probly rage in a boss encounter.

boldarblood
07-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Any body type on WF Barb is a waste of a feat.

THF or TWF, take all 3 feats
power attack
improved critical
toughness or stunning blow (my feat of choice)
if human: add khopesh for free feat.

Barbs do not have enough feats to waste any on armor. The other feats are much more useful to your character.

Noctus
07-07-2009, 10:27 AM
But is some AC still better than no AC ^_^ ?

Only untill you reach level 9+. Afther that you get hit 95% of the time regardless of if you have some or none AC.

Thats why i switch out of the Warforged Adamantine Body feat around that level. Before that it is indeed a nice feat to have and mtigated a relevant amount of damage.

But once you enter the gianthold, at the latest, it is simply a wasted featslot.

Do you see the AC having somr use in situations ...... The AC may help me survive ?

No! Not on a Barbarian. You wont get it into an area where it works without totally gimping yourself. Barbarians have no AC, they have some DR and a bunch of HP (and a friendly Cleric).

where I should INtimidate but not Rage to save a caster from death or something ?

Good idea. Thats what Intimidate is there for on a competently played barbarian. Get the aggro off from the squishy about to get squished.

But you should be raged 24/7. You are just a crippeled Fighter without bonus feats when you arent raged.

Warforged Barb my starting stats on a 28 point build would be 17 STR, 13 Dex, 18 Con, 8 Int, 6 Wisdom, 8 Charisma

-3 DEX ---> +1 STR
Or you will regret it later. The rest is fine.