PDA

View Full Version : Barb/Rogue skills questions

Draccus
07-06-2009, 08:20 AM
After a bunch of rerolls (I played Korthos Island 7 times last weekend...ugh), I think I finally decided on an alt: Barbarian14/Rogue2. I rolled a few versions this weekend but I'm still not confident on the skill points.

I don't think I want to worry about trap skills. Instead, I'd like to focus on the physical skills.

For my starting skills, with an 8 intelligence, I have 32 points and can max 8 skills. I'm thinking of:
Intimidate
Jump
Balance
Tumble
Open Locks
Spot
Hide
Move Silently

Those last two may raise some eyebrows. Here's my thinking: First, I love stealth. My main character is a pure rogue and lives for stealth when he solos. A stealth barbarian may not make sense but I like the feel (think Conan, who I believe would have been a Barb/Rogue). Additionally, with only 2 skills points left after taking the first 6, there's not much else to spend points on. I could go Search/Disable instead but would they ever get to the point where they were useful? Even if I eat a +2 int tome (I have one) the points would be spread pretty thin.

So then we get to the next big question: What skills to increase at each barbarian level? I will get 4 points per level and I'm not sure what to max and what to inch up.

Maxing the two class skills, Intim and Jump, makes sense and that would let me use the final two points to keep the others moving up slowly. Thoughts? Advice?

I'd love to see how others have allocated skill points in this common build. Thanks!

VKhaun
07-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Cross-class skills will also take TWO of your skill points to raise.
Normally .5 is the cap, but having a level of rogue 'uncaps' them.
With rogue levels you can raise them by .5 two times at barbarian level-ups.

.5 x 2 = full ranks, +1 per level, for two of your four points.

A +2 tome would be 1 more point per level, or an extra .5 to raise a cross-class.

Jump / Intimidate / Listen / Swim are your class skills.
1pt = full 1 level each level for those.

First of all, you do not mention 'Use Magic Device'... that is deplorable.
If you didn't do 4umd at creation that's reroll time. IMO.

You don't need jump at all. Hopefully you started your barbarian with 18strength and you'll be putting all level-ups there. By the end of the game just your 4 ranks, a +jump item and your strength, especially while raged (which you will be raged most of the time) will be pretty much capping your jump. Past 40 you don't gain any more height supposedly. Arcane casters and... I think rangers... can throw a jump buff on you for +30 right there, if it were ever to be totally crucial that you were at cap.

Intimidate is always good for NPC's, but you've got to really maximize it to actually use it on enemies. Are you prepared to level that every single level and always bee looking for a top end +intimidate item, command item, +cha item, etc? I have not done an intimitank so I couldn't give you exact goals, but every one I meet in-game says the same thing. You've got to really max it or it just fails too much.

Balance is my favorite skill ever. Gets you up from knockdowns. I always try to do that one.

Tumble 4 is plenty. Don't ever do more. Waste of points unless for some reason you can't possibly work in a FF item into your inventory to swap out when you need to fall a large distance.

Open Locks would be a final choice for extra points. It's nice to have yourself for convenience, but it's constantly available from both rogues and arcane casters (spell called knock, unlocks things).

Spot you do not need. There are buffs and items to passively and constantly reveal hidden enemies.

Hide/Move silently are fine at half rank for end-game purposes according to our resident shadowmage and his videos. If you carry an outfit of greater silent moves or rock composite body and a docent of the same, you could talk to him about making that work using the spell 'Invisibility' on potions and such. But I have no knowledge of this. I just recently got schooled after assuming you would NEED full ranks in hide/move silently.

My recommendation for skills would be UMD up by .5 two times every bard level for full +1 a level, and balance the same. Up .5 twice for full +1 per level. That'd be your four points on eight intelligence. Go back and get ten intelligence if you want to do hide/move silently. Then you can do UMD at full for two points per level, balance at half, hide at half, and move silently at half all three for one point per level each. Then rock extra equipment for hide/move silently, but look into Ghoste's shadowmage stuff first for yourself. Don't take me on it, get it from him in case I'm wrong here for whatever reason.

Monkey_Archer
07-06-2009, 08:41 AM
UMD...

trade one skill for umd at level one... use barb levels to max UMD, jump, intim.

Noctus
07-06-2009, 09:05 AM
UMD...

trade one skill for umd at level one... use barb levels to max UMD, jump, intim.

/signed.

VKhaun
07-06-2009, 09:16 AM
+15 jump item.
+12-15 strength mod
+4 GH
+4 ranks at creation

35-38 jump.

40 is cap.

Why would he do jump on a barbarian?

Please. Tell me.
I'm about to reroll my own barb for dong jump.
I'd love an excuse not to.

Monkey_Archer
07-06-2009, 09:27 AM
+15 jump item.
+12-15 strength mod
+4 GH
+4 ranks at creation

35-38 jump.

40 is cap.

Why would he do jump on a barbarian?

Please. Tell me.
I'm about to reroll my own barb for dong jump.
I'd love an excuse not to.

Because using a +15 jump item is a wasted slot. True that jump is not that important for a barb, but what else is there better then 14 jump? 7 pts of balance? hardly worth a reroll IMO.

VKhaun
07-06-2009, 09:31 AM
...but what else is there better then 14 jump?

For a barb/rogue there's plenty.
For the original poster's barb/rogue who likes stealth? Oodles.
For myself, pure, not so much. I don't even like intimidate.