PDA

View Full Version : Since we know EU is coming with Free to play

Kalari
07-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Alright this has been asked before but those threads are buried. I am asking my fellow VIP's the ones who still care about the game and even those who are meh about it.

Now that Turbine is taking a big leap with going free to play, would you still shell out money for a paid expansion?

What do I mean about paid expansion? I mean content released in a full package that could only be accessed by those who buy said expansion.

It for me would include the following...

1. At least 1-2 new fully playable races for the game, and I dont mean reskinned humans or elves something that pops like half orcs or quori. Though at this point if they had to just throw in half elves even that would be something as long as they kept their d&d characteristics.

2. A major area with quests, side games and 1-2 major raids. And or a major new crafting area with tables for things like wands, other jewelry and trinkets. Like the races this area could only be accessed by those who paid for the expansion.

3. Cosmetic upgrades- you want your elf's flowing cloak to show? Want your dwarfs beard to be a certain length? Want your warforges spikes to drip blood? with the paid expansion the quality of how your characters look would finally be addressed.

4. Housing and other non quest driven time sinks. Gambling halls, arena's for bard contests or quizes, a private pvp pit where the players can use check boxes to set the rules before they allow others to enter. Guild housing or personal housing with storage options..

All of these things I would personally pay a upgrade fee for. Ive seen it utilized for Lord of the rings online. Many have paid for the Mines of Moria expansion while others who do not wish to can play the game still just not use the classes that came with the expansion and some of the areas.

I think this will give VIP's something to clamor and look forward to and let us prove that we would back this game with our dollars. You can keep free to play and believe me if I was an f2p person and knew that with a paid expansion I could upgrade to vip and have all those above things that would tempt me more then just a chance to unlock more quests, classes and races.

valorik
07-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I would buy it, almost definitely as long as it included about 15 high level quests/raids

Ryss
07-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I was always against paid expansions before because the game we were playing was still a beta quality. However with EU it will be out of "beta" finally. And the game has grown a lot in the recent years. Therefore I am actually looking forward to a paid expansion.

1. At least 1-2 new fully playable races for the game, and I dont mean reskinned humans or elves something that pops like half orcs or quori. Though at this point if they had to just throw in half elves even that would be something as long as they kept their d&d characteristics.

Agreed.

2. A major area with quests, side games and 1-2 major raids. And or a major new crafting area with tables for things like wands, other jewelry and trinkets. Like the races this area could only be accessed by those who paid for the expansion.

Quests/raids are a given. However I am against those crafting options because I think they should be available for everyone since the game is very lacking in this area. We know how crafting is fun.

3. Cosmetic upgrades- you want your elf's flowing cloak to show? Want your dwarfs beard to be a certain length? Want your warforges spikes to drip blood? with the paid expansion the quality of how your characters look would finally be addressed.

Agreed.

4. Housing and other non quest driven time sinks. Gambling halls, arena's for bard contests or quizes, a private pvp pit where the players can use check boxes to set the rules before they allow others to enter. Guild housing or personal housing with storage options..

Everything except housing. Again it should be available for everyone.

Having said all that, a paid expansion might never come because we have (will have) microtransactions in place. That should generate a constant revenue stream to add everything gradually.

Dark_Uncle72
07-06-2009, 08:14 AM
1. sure
2. sure
3. sure
and, 4. sure

I'm for whatever makes this game seem more......interesting.

Don't get me wrong....and by no means, am I a "whiner" I'm just saying it would be nice IF..they would do something else besides "cosmetic" upgrades to existing content..

but hey..what would I know..I just PLAY this game...

Kalari
07-06-2009, 02:12 PM
My reasoning for it being only accessible by those who brought the expansion is based on what many games do. They offer the players a chance at a pre released rate normally between 50-70+ dollars. They go by the amount of pre ordered sales to see if enough interested is generated by a paid expansion and then if the revenue is good enough they release this. Paid expansions are not cheap and those who go for them are telling the company "hey I have faith in your product here is the money to prove it." And im sorry I would not like it if I did shell out that much money if not more for an expansion, only to have everyone have access to it as well.

I get the crafting part but if a well rounded one came with the paid expansion it would motivate people not paying for the game to reconsider.

The housing conflict still is hard for me to understand. Because housing in game could quell a lot of things many have been asking for for awhile now. Personal private instances that are none quest related for gathering or guilds, storage and a money sink. And its something that I feel VIP's should definitely have over free to players. If you want all the bells and whistles you will sub up like the rest of us.

I just really think since they are taking a leap with the game in the means of going free to play. They could appeal to their VIP's even more if they offered an expansion pack that we can access if we choose to pay the money they ask for it. Thats just my opinion be it wrong or right.

VirieSquichie
07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Before they pulled a fast one with Mod 9's Christmas/New Year's date, I would have tentatively agreed if it was a very large amount of new content.

Now that they've essentially given us a year of *nothing* I feel they're lucky to have any subscriptions coming in from any established gamers. They're really past due on content and I *do* feel they owe us for the money we've been shelling out for the last year. Simply keeping the lights on is not worth $10-15/month.