PDA

View Full Version : Trial Paladin Returned to DnD

caledor
06-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Afternoon everyone,

I played the 10 day free trial for DnD Online earlier in the year and have decided to come back to it as I've grown tired of single player games for awhile and refuse to go back to the daemon that is Warcraft.

During the Trial I basically stuck to my self to learn the game and get use to the controls and such and although I'll have to do the same for a few days to get readjusted again, now that I've got the paid version I want to find groups (and a guild hopefully) and get more out of my gaming experience.

The main question I had when I played the trial was what exactly is expected of me as a Paladin in a group? Apologies if this has been asked a lot of times and I had a quick look through the forums but got a bit lost. I've been a Tank and a Healer in other games but since I'm pretty new I'd rather not have such an important role right now but that might be alright later. To me DnD (not the online game, DnD in general) has always given me the impression that mistakes are often fatal which has made me worry about joining a group in the danger of being a noob so any help or advice or links would be fantastic :)

Also, I know this game doesn't seem to allow soloing to the degree of other games, but is it a viable leveling option when a group is hard to come by? Being in New Zealand makes my hours a bit out of whack from most so groups might not always be an option.

Anyways I'll go for a bit, thank you in advance for any help. The server I'm on is Thelanis.

Cheers, Caledor

Uska
06-30-2009, 11:25 PM
A paladin can tank, DPS, and be somewhat of a backup healer, on the solo content we have a paladin can do fairly well at it, Aranticus has a thread with beginner builds look them up and it might help you I dont know about your server but Khber and Ghalanda have people on your hours so you might pop on one of those servers to see if they are a better fit, if you do so feel free to look me up.

khyber = Uska

Narmolanya
06-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Lots of Aussies and New Zelanders on Thelanis. Solarna has a large Chinese player population so they would be on roughly the same time as you. Don't worry about being new most players are very helpful.

Welcome to the game.

Lithic
06-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Lots of Aussies and New Zelanders on Thelanis. Solarna has a large Chinese player population so they would be on roughly the same time as you. Don't worry about being new most players are very helpful.

Welcome to the game.

Players CAN be helpfull...IF you let them know you are new. If you don't, then they can be downright acidic as they will assume you are just a veteran nub that sucks :D

caledor
07-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be sure to point out I'm pretty new to the game whenever in groups to be sure they know.

Another thing was I've decided to start from fresh as when I loaded my Pally (only level 4) I couldn't really remember what exactly I was doing and such with him when I played the trial and starting again will probably help re-familiarize my self with DnD Online as a whole and i should be able to transfer most of the items over to my new one in time.

As I'm not exactly sure what role I'll have later on in the game yet I was going to start my Human Paladin with:

STR 16
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 14

I had a look at other posts and that seems close to the 'average' build for stats from the start although if I'm wrong please say. I had a harder time finding suggestions for the skill points. I think I've seen UMD being very important, but outside that what do people suggest? I've seen Balance and Tumble suggested in other threads. Is healing any use if I plan to solo a bit?

Thanks again for the help guys, its good to be back playing.

Cheers, Caledor

Ralmeth
07-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey Caledor,

Welcome back to DDO:) In regards to your question about the role of a Paladin in a party, in my opinion your role is two-fold. First, you are a front-line combatant and your job is going to be killing the bad guys. Second, you are also good at providing support to the rest of the party in terms of healing (usually through healing wands), raise dead later on and other curative effects. Being a front line combatant, you can give these out to the other front-line party members. For example, if you see someone going down, throw out that lay on hands on them. If someone gets held, run over to them to protect them from getting killed (with your aura giving them a bonus to their save). If someone gets cursed, remove the curse, etc. Also, my Pally always has either a spell, scroll, wand or potion ready to remove most of the ill effects you can come down with in the game that you can use on yourself or someone else as needed.

Once you become more familiar with the game, you'll find that there are other specialized roles that a Pally can take on. For example, you could be optimized for a high DPS, or perhaps optimized for more defensive tank duties (though you always want to retain a decent DPS). These are a lot of these specialized builds you'll find on the Pally forums.

As for your character, your starting stats seem fine for a balanced starter Pally. For skills, the best ones I found on a Paladin are UMD, Intimidate, Jump, Balance and a few for Tumble. Based on your stats, I would recommend everything but intimidate (which I would only recommend on a defensive tank). The healing skill is near useless. Diplomacy you will only ever use in some dialogues with certain NPCs on a few quests and you shouldn't need Concentration (you're not going to be casting spells that take a long time to cast while in combat). So essentially the three Pally skills are near useless for a Paladin to take in DDO. You will use jump all the time. Balance is helpful for when you get knocked over, which will happen once in a while. UMD is great for being able to use race restricted items, or if you get this high enough to use raise dead scrolls. Tumble is helpful to get high enough so that you can tumble when you want to.

Hope this helps.

caledor
07-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Hey all,

That was a great help thank you Ralmeth! I'm glad I hadnt invested in healing too much so it seems I avoided a pointless skill. Thanks for the pointers too about what my role will roughly be, i'm really enjoying being back so far and cant wait to get into some larger group stuff :)

Cheers, Caledor