PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - Warforged Enhancements

Detrimental
06-28-2009, 09:31 PM
I've been playing for a little bit now and I'm a level 5 Warforged Whirlwind Fighter. I chose to use the pre made characters that you can create since I'm new and thought it would be better if I didn't end up making a useless character.

My question is about the enhancements you can choose from. As a Warforged which ones should I be spending my points on? If someone with experience could shed some light on this issue it would be great.

Also, I have a quick question about repair. As a Warforged it is difficult to get healed, especially by shrines. I noticed that when I level it puts all my skill points into intimidation and I have nothing in repair. Is that something to worry about? I've tried using repair on my character but it always says invalid character.

kamimitsu
06-29-2009, 05:05 AM
You can't repair (or heal, if you were a fleshie) yourself. Repair (and heal) have two functions: getting HP back at rest shrines, and bringing incapacitated characters back to 0 HP.

On the first point, I can't imagine it would be worth putting many (or any) skill points into repair/heal on any build as even maxed out you won't get very much health back at a shrine and will still require additional healing (pots, wands, scrolls, etc.)

On the second point, the time it takes to heal or repair an incapacitated character is quite long. Long enough that you can't realistically use it during a battle. Not to mention that a quick wand whip, aid clickie, or similar item will do the job much, much faster.

As such, I can't think why anyone would put points into repair or heal and miss out on something much more useful (balance, jump, UMD, haggle, concentration, etc. pretty much ANYTHING is a better choice than heal or repair). But, that's just my opinion and I might be overlooking something.

As for WF enhancements, that's somewhat of a personal issue. I like to take WF power attack, WF CON, Racial Toughness, Healer's Friend (but I only take the 1st level), WF tactics (fighters often use tactics: Trip, Stunning Blow, etc.), and possibly WF Damage Reduction. On the fighter side there is a lot more to choose from, but Fighter Strength, Haste Boost, and possibly Intimidate (if you are putting skill points into Initimidate), one or more of the Fighter Strategy (Stunning Blow, Trip, etc.) are pretty good options.

vainangel
06-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Repair and Heal are useless most of the time. Don't worry about putting points into it.
My WF never gets full health from a shrine when down to 10-20 HP.
But I have at least 2 stacks of Repair Serious with me at all times and sometimes stock a wand or two of repair to pass off to a caster to ease up on the clerics mana pool.

sisterjinx
06-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Speaking from my Cleric's point of view it is much appreciated if a WF who is not a caster takes at least 1 lvl of healers friend and if you want to or have the points to 2 is even better.

In our groups most of the time we have a caster willing to help repair the WF members of the party but as a cleric I don't always pay attention to who is what race I just watch red lines and heal. So the healers friend is a big help. I know one night we were running with a WF Barb who had NO lvls of healers friend and it was almost useless for me to try and heal him or at least when he was taking a lot of damage it was.

vainangel
06-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Speaking from my Cleric's point of view it is much appreciated if a WF who is not a caster takes at least 1 lvl of healers friend and if you want to or have the points to 2 is even better.

Good point I should have mentioned my WF has 2 lvl's of Healers Friend.

rezo
06-29-2009, 06:02 AM
If you don't care about the lvl caps you could take 1 lvl of wiz or scor. to use repair wands out of combat or take pally (if you are LG ) to use cure, remove curse, and less restore wands too.

Noctus
06-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Also, I have a quick question about repair. As a Warforged it is difficult to get healed, especially by shrines. I noticed that when I level it puts all my skill points into intimidation and I have nothing in repair. Is that something to worry about? I've tried using repair on my character but it always says invalid character.

Take the Healers Friend enhancements.

Also buy some Repair light, Repair moderate potions to help the cleric keeping you up which you can chug in between fights. As a Healer i love people who at least try to ease the healing burden on the Cleric, especially Warforged so they compensate a bit for their healing penalty.

Detrimental
06-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Thank you for all the replies. They have been really helpful and I really appreciate them. I have one final question about my fighter. I chose the pre made "Whirlwind" Fighter because I wanted to be a melee DPSer and they usually don't want to take any damage... so then why when my class levels does it put all of my skill points into intimidation? I CAN take damage but I don't want to pull agro, I just want to DPS and not tank. Does intimidation have some effect I am unaware of? It would seem my skill points would be placed much better somewhere else. :)

Leyoni
06-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Well, when you do DPS you will pull aggro. The more DPS the more aggro you will pull. So, high DPS = high aggro.

Intimidate is used to pull aggro from off other players or to draw the mobs to you so that you can put all that DPS to good use. :D

You need to put it on your hotbar and activate it for intimidate to kick in.

Detrimental
06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Ah, yeah that makes sense. I guess I'm just used to other MMORPG's that have a specific and seperate tank and dps roll. Thanks :)

hu-flung-pu
07-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Intimidation is very useful for your less durable party members when they pull aggro as well as making life easier on your Cleric by having to heal mostly one character as opposed to having his fingers over his function keys.

Noctus
07-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Ah, yeah that makes sense. I guess I'm just used to other MMORPG's that have a specific and seperate tank and dps roll. Thanks :)

here is mire in the way you build your character, and not in your choice of class levels per se.