PDA

View Full Version : Stunning blow

Thorboar
06-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I had this as a reply on another thread.....

Question on stunning blow....

How often does this work....I tried it out with my level 15th Barb in a few quests like Madstone and I didn't seem to stun too much. Granted I did not have any Dwarf Tactic enhancements or weigthed weapons but while raging my strength was between 38 and 42 (choker). Does the dwarf tactics make a big difference?

Ghoste
06-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I had this as a reply on another thread.....

Question on stunning blow....

How often does this work....I tried it out with my level 15th Barb in a few quests like Madstone and I didn't seem to stun too much. Granted I did not have any Dwarf Tactic enhancements or weigthed weapons but while raging my strength was between 38 and 42 (choker). Does the dwarf tactics make a big difference?
Between enhancements and weighted it is quite possible to get the DC higher than any caster can get the DC for their insta kill spells. Doesn't use spell points, and ignores spell resistance. If you use finger of death on your arcane then you should at least consider getting stunning blow on your melee.

Shade
06-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Works quite awesome in most quests.

You just chose a one of the worst ones to test it in.
Madstone crater the mobs have very good fortitude saves. Especially the minotaurs and giants, some of which get madstone rage which is +4 con, or +2 fort save vs your stun. Tends to be easier to trip the monsters here, as thats a strength save instead of fort. The skeletons in particular are very vulnerable to trip, but it works well on all mobs there (tho raged ogres are very resistant - get them before they rage)

First off.. The Dwarven tactics make a big difference.

My Dwarf Barb has generally 47-54 strength (non choker) and +2 dwarven tactics. Usually do not use a weighted weapon but land quite often regardless - often use a greensteel greataxe with steam2/+2 str. Most often in Shroud - vs trogs near portals - 85-95% chance to land, then 1-2 more hit and there dead. Basicly 100% on my TWF, as you get 2 tries to land. I can also stun the Devils, tho much less effectively, around 40%. The Bezikira have a lower fort save, I can stun those around 75%. I'd say with several barbarians using Stun in shroud and everyone going DPS you could burn thru shroud very fast with zero arcanes and zero vorpals, just stun and DPS everything.

In most other vale and mod8 quests on normal mobs it works very often, at least 75% on most monsters. On elite it's less effectively but sometimes more important, works around 40% on most things. Only certain things have high fort saves - mostly giants and evil outsiders. Almost all other types do not.

On a more tactical spced build, like one with some ftr levels splashed in for further tactic enhancements you can read a 40+ DC and bring the stun chances up to 95% which is very nice. I've group with some players with such a build and they work quite well.

One place I found stun to be ultra effective is prey on the hunter and stealer of souls.. The Giants there have 3000 hitpoints, so you really need them auto crit to DPS them at any reasonable rate. Generally on my TWF barb, i'll offhand the Tenderizer (5% weight +10 stun) and stun basicly everyone, while DPS;ing with my mainhand mineral dwarven axe. On my two handeds I have to swap out weps as a weighted maul doesnt do much dps.. Often ill just ignore them, or get the arcanes to enervate first, then I can stun normally with my greensteel fire axe.

Thrudh
06-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Works quite awesome in most quests.

You just chose a one of the worst ones to test it in.
Madstone crater the mobs have very good fortitude saves. Especially the minotaurs and giants, some of which get madstone rage which is +4 con, or +2 fort save vs your stun. Tends to be easier to trip the monsters here, as thats a strength save instead of fort. The skeletons in particular are very vulnerable to trip, but it works well on all mobs there (tho raged ogres are very resistant - get them before they rage)

First off.. The Dwarven tactics make a big difference.

My Dwarf Barb has generally 47-54 strength (non choker) and +2 dwarven tactics. Usually do not use a weighted weapon but land quite often regardless - often use a greensteel greataxe with steam2/+2 str. Most often in Shroud - vs trogs near portals - 85-95% chance to land, then 1-2 more hit and there dead. Basicly 100% on my TWF, as you get 2 tries to land. I can also stun the Devils, tho much less effectively, around 40%. The Bezikira have a lower fort save, I can stun those around 75%. I'd say with several barbarians using Stun in shroud and everyone going DPS you could burn thru shroud very fast with zero arcanes and zero vorpals, just stun and DPS everything.

In most other vale and mod8 quests on normal mobs it works very often, at least 75% on most monsters. On elite it's less effectively but sometimes more important, works around 40% on most things. Only certain things have high fort saves - mostly giants and evil outsiders. Almost all other types do not.

On a more tactical spced build, like one with some ftr levels splashed in for further tactic enhancements you can read a 40+ DC and bring the stun chances up to 95% which is very nice. I've group with some players with such a build and they work quite well.

One place I found stun to be ultra effective is prey on the hunter and stealer of souls.. The Giants there have 3000 hitpoints, so you really need them auto crit to DPS them at any reasonable rate. Generally on my TWF barb, i'll offhand the Tenderizer (5% weight +10 stun) and stun basicly everyone, while DPS;ing with my mainhand mineral dwarven axe. On my two handeds I have to swap out weps as a weighted maul doesnt do much dps.. Often ill just ignore them, or get the arcanes to enervate first, then I can stun normally with my greensteel fire axe.

Good advice here... But I would like to see a breakdown of how you're getting a general 47-54 STR (non-choker) on your dwarf barbarian

+5 level ups
+6 item
+3 tome
+10 barb rage
+2 rage spell
+4 double-madstoned rage

= 48

What am I missing?

Editing myself...

+3 exceptional STR on a weapon?? (Seems like that would be a hit to DPS)
+1 Litany raid item?

=52

Thrudh
06-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Also I use stun all the time on my barbarian... he runs around with a 44 STR I think. He has 1 rank in dwarven tactics and 1 rank in fighter: stunning blow (he's multi-classed).

He never uses a weighted weapon and he stuns quite regularly (Not against Giants though). It's especially effective against caster types... lands almost all the time...

kamimitsu
06-17-2009, 01:46 AM
I realize that this is the wrong forum, but since the topic of Stunning Blow is already being discussed, I'd like to ask a question:

I took stunning blow on my STR based rogue/monk quarterstaff user. I'll hit 28 STR or so at 16. I thought it would be nice at low levels to get auto-backstab, and that I might switch it out if most stuff saves. It looks like my DC will be 10+9 (STR)+10 (weighted 5% staff in the bank)= 29. That's pretty close to an FoD save or Assassinate save, so I'm guessing it would be worthwhile to keep Stunning Blow for "mid/lower fortitude" monsters. After crafting a Greensteel Qstaff, however, it will drop to 19 which I'd imagine isn't enough for much. Drop it then (or now, or not at all)?

baddax
06-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Weighted is also 5% stun, no save per swing, in addition to any Stunning blow attacks and adds 10 to your stunning blow DC.

baddax
06-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Im not sure what your wisdom is but i hear stunning fist is very effective on monk builds And weighted is supposed to be fixed to work on handwraps.

Shade
06-17-2009, 01:55 AM
What am I missing?

+3 exceptional STR on a weapon?? (Seems like that would be a hit to DPS)

heh I derail too many threads posting my str.. Go check this recent thread for a fullbreakdown and discusion: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=174312
Basicly yes I have the lotd and occasonally use potions.
Yes putting +3 exp str onto a weapon would crush its DPS.. So I only put +2. The other +1 excp str is on several sets of my DT armor (took litteraly hundreds of runs) The weapon itself is Holy/Icy Burst/+2 str/Steam II. It's great DPS, all I lost was icy blast, which would be nice but I mainly use it as my main stun/kill/portal beater anyways... Once stunned, criticalling with this thing nothing survives long anyways, icy blast or not. I ofcourse swap to one of my blast weapons when I'm not stun killing things.

Shade
06-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Im not sure what your wisdom is but i hear stunning fist is very effective on monk builds And weighted is supposed to be fixed to work on handwraps.
Haven't tested it myself but...
Monks i've grouped with tell me weighted doesn't increase the DC of stunning fist. However I know some who do use 5% weighted handwraps and stunning blow and stun very often, works great as they attack quite fast and get allot of rolls to get that 5%.

Riekan
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
As far as I know, weighted works with Stunning Blow, but not Stunning Fist. I wish it did work on both...

BlackSteel
06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
As far as I know, weighted works with Stunning Blow, but not Stunning Fist. I wish it did work on both...

its supposed to work for both in the next mod, currently does not