PDA

View Full Version : The glory of GUILDS

Mr_Ed7
06-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Will guilds play and even bigger part in the future of DDO Unlimited?

I suspect they may. With the influx of novice players which is bound to occur because of the no-pay plan; running with your guild or a known guild will be a great aid in playing a well-run, fun quest.

I still contact players in my recruiting who make comments as "I do not like guilds." or "I enjoy playing alone."

Which is fine, but I beleive with guilds you can reap the benefits more so than incur any negatives.

The support structure of a guild alone is a plus, not to mention the handy-me-down loot.

What else does DDO Unlimited have in-store for guilds, and what is YOUR opinion of them...?

sisterjinx
06-11-2009, 06:56 AM
I so agree that the guild name is going to be important on choosing who to run with on quests that require teamwork and brains. of course I don't mind one or even 2 newbs in a quest if they can listen sometimes but other times it's nice to know your group is going to be fine. I need to start making a note of the current pre-mod guilds.

Mr_Ed7
06-11-2009, 07:02 AM
I so agree that the guild name is going to be important on choosing who to run with on quests that require teamwork and brains. of course I don't mind one or even 2 newbs in a quest if they can listen sometimes but other times it's nice to know your group is going to be fine. I need to start making a note of the current pre-mod guilds.

I know many of the current guilds out-there now, this helps me when I recruit from people who have guilds, but are obvious "guilds-of-one" or "homemade" guilds.

Jondallar
06-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Guilds wont be necessary because everying will be soloable, with down scaling of difficulty and the easy button implementation.

KoboldKiller
06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Guilds wont be necessary because everying will be soloable, with down scaling of difficulty and the easy button implementation.

Oh, someone needs a hug. :D

Ragemage
06-12-2009, 01:04 AM
I still contact players in my recruiting who make comments as "I do not like guilds." or "I enjoy playing alone."

How about you stop contacting everyone and let em contact you to join if they are interested? eh

Mr_Ed7
06-12-2009, 07:02 AM
How about you stop contacting everyone and let em contact you to join if they are interested? eh

Why though?

BurnerD
06-12-2009, 07:34 AM
We had a council meeting in our Guild last night regarding what impact F2P is going to have on Guilds. It will be interesting to see how the established guilds handle recruiting. I would expect many will be wary of F2P players..

Interesting times....

Dexxaan
06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
I believe in our case we will not change a thing about our "No open Recruiting" policy.

People will gravitate towards you and 9 out of 10 know what you are made of and looking for.

F2P will most likely strengthen Guilds a lot and we just may regain the Glory days of Pre-Gianthold days / before they lowered the bar by changing the Raid loot mechanics so that every piece of Raid loot became Farmable, and 12 man Pug's became the norm.

Let's wait and see.

Edit: Woops! Wrong server.

Jondallar
06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
I believe in our case we will not change a thing about our "No open Recruiting" policy.

People will gravitate towards you and 9 out of 10 know what you are made of and looking for.

F2P will most likely strengthen Guilds a lot and we just may regain the Glory days of Pre-Gianthold days / before they lowered the bar by changing the Raid loot mechanics so that every piece of Raid loot became Farmable, and 12 man Pug's became the norm.

Let's wait and see.

Edit: Woops! Wrong server.

heres hoping u r right

totmacher
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
guilds are outdated! channels rule!

Mr_Ed7
06-13-2009, 07:33 AM

When looking for more for a party I like to first recruit from my guild, then through the shared channel, then through my friends list (which does not show who is in-party!) and finally an LFM.

Milamber69
06-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Your hair is outdated! Blah rules!

Quanefel
06-13-2009, 07:49 AM

Guilds will still be used, more heavily by those welcoming this new change and the new players. Will those guilds also be out there helping and welcoming the new mass of free players? No, that is why they have guilds to hide out in. The rest of us will be the ones left to handle the situations that arise from all of this. Good times indeed.

Mr_Ed7
06-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Guilds will still be used, more heavily by those welcoming this new change and the new players. Will those guilds also be out there helping and welcoming the new mass of free players? No, that is why they have guilds to hide out in. The rest of us will be the ones left to handle the situations that arise from all of this. Good times indeed.

While I appreciate your martyr-like status, I am sure we will all be a part of helping the masses.
Darkside in particular as an element of their desrciption, enjoys helping new players.

That being said guilds and alliances of guilds will make for more effective play, and ideally can set an example for the new players on "how we roll" in Stormreach.

Quanefel
06-13-2009, 09:01 AM
While I appreciate your martyr-like status, I am sure we will all be apart of helping the masses.
Darkside in particular as an element of their desrciption, enjoys helping new players.

That being said guilds and alliances of guilds will make for more effective play, and ideally can set an example for the new players on "how we roll" in Stormreach.

Martyr-like? No, common sense. When I have been talking to people about this who are for this, not many have expressed the desire to welcome the F2P with open arms or want to group with them. It is unsettling and why I bring it up. I do not like being volunteered to make the idea of another person, work. While they sit idly by not dealing with any negative concequences from the idea they are embrassing. Do you know what I mean?

Now, it is admiral that you or your guild would take on the mantle of welcoming the F2P masses with open arms. That is something to be proud of for sure. Yet at the same time, all of us must be careful with this. We need to find the balance of being too helpful and not being helpful at all.

If we are too helpful then F2P players will never have a need to get a full account or ever use the store at all. It would defeat the purpose of the store in the first place. If we offer too much advice, give or help too much then our own generosity will be our downfall, for the game.

If we help too little then people will be turned away to never wanting to be apart of our great community.

Some balance must be found there.

Dexxaan
06-13-2009, 09:01 AM

/Epic fail

Why? Because although you may be interacting with them (not necessarily helping....) , In the end they'll be looking to "learn" from "us guilded ones in hiding".

Very similar to Politics.....doing vs knowing.

Nothing happening from F2P is actually that different than the game as it has been these 3 yrs. Noobs are noobs...some graduate..some don't. Simple really.

While I appreciate your martyr-like status, I am sure we will all be apart of helping the masses.

LOL.

Quanefel
06-13-2009, 09:10 AM
/Epic fail

Why? Because although you may be interacting with them (not necessarily helping....) , In the end they'll be looking to "learn" from "us guilded ones in hiding".

Very similar to Politics.....doing vs knowing.

Nothing happening from F2P is actually that different than the game as it has been these 3 yrs. Noobs are noobs...some graduate..some don't. Simple really.

LOL.

Really, nothing will be different with F2P than it is in game from the last 3 years? Wasn't trial accounts limited to 10 days with a credit card being used that showed might have money to eventually start paying for our trial accounts? Let's see, with F2P there is no time limit. With F2P there is no credit card to indicate and eventual purchase of anything but to you, nothing really is changing?

Yes, some or most will be learning from us things like how to level quickly, how to make ingame plat wealth, how to conserve plat to spend less and how to avoid ever having to spend a dime in the store or get an account when they can learn it all from us and ride off our generosity. I am sure that is best for the game, really it is.

Wrustle
06-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Will guilds play and even bigger part in the future of DDO Unlimited?

I suspect they may. With the influx of novice players which is bound to occur because of the no-pay plan; running with your guild or a known guild will be a great aid in playing a well-run, fun quest.

Which is fine, but I beleive with guilds you can reap the benefits more so than incur any negatives.

The support structure of a guild alone is a plus, not to mention the handy-me-down loot.

What else does DDO Unlimited have in-store for guilds, and what is YOUR opinion of them...?

I for one have always, and I mean ALWAYS, helped out the "new guy". Sure we do guild runs from time to time, but even then we usually have a couple of unknowns (or.... dare I say NOOBS AHHHHHHHHH) in the group especially if it's a raid quest.

I will continue to help out new players until the day I (finally) quit this game for good. Ancient Civilization is a very noob-friendly guild that is willing to help anyone along in their DDO journey and will continue to do so.

Sure there are a few elitist types in our guild (clears throat.... cough... cough... KoboldKiller.....) but even then, they will help a noob along here and there. I doubt the population of our guild will grow a whole lot due to the move to F2P but only time will tell.

Dexxaan
06-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Really, nothing will be different with F2P than it is in game from the last 3 years? Wasn't trial accounts limited to 10 days with a credit card being used that showed might have money to eventually start paying for our trial accounts? Let's see, with F2P there is no time limit. With F2P there is no credit card to indicate and eventual purchase of anything but to you, nothing really is changing?

Yes, some or most will be learning from us things like how to level quickly, how to make ingame plat wealth, how to conserve plat to spend less and how to avoid ever having to spend a dime in the store or get an account when they can learn it all from us and ride off our generosity. I am sure that is best for the game, really it is.

You don't like reading much do you Q?

It's OBVIOUS that from a quantity point of view things are expected to be dramatically changing, but as I pointed out the effect on Guilds (which happens to be the OP's concern....sry to re-rail the thread oh Negative one :rolleyes:) will be negligible as it is simply business as usual....and business is good.

Mr_Ed7
07-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Additionally, I would like to add that guilds and organizations like the Alliance are not meant to be "exclusionary" to others but rather are meant to make for a tighter-knit community of players.

douginuk
10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Dexxaan;2237257]/Epic fail

"Why? Because although you may be interacting with them (not necessarily helping....) , In the end they'll be looking to "learn" from "us guilded ones in hiding".

Very similar to Politics.....doing vs knowing."

Ah. Well, I don't need help from guilds. I'm good. How are you going to help me? Explain the benefits to me. Second hand loot, and some rules? That all? I solo so far, and I'm kinda liking it. And I have not once asked anyone so much as the tiniest question. This is the first. So shoot. Whatcha got?

Mr_Ed7
10-28-2009, 11:54 AM

"Why? Because although you may be interacting with them (not necessarily helping....) , In the end they'll be looking to "learn" from "us guilded ones in hiding".

Ah. Well, I don't need help from guilds. I'm good. How are you going to help me? Explain the benefits to me. Second hand loot, and some rules? That all? I solo so far, and I'm kinda liking it. And I have not once asked anyone so much as the tiniest question. This is the first. So shoot. Whatcha got?

I see you have just joined the game, so welcome. The game is designed to be played in groups of players. This will become more apparent has your experience with the game progresses.

Guilds are just a form of social-networking site, if you will. It gives you the opportunity to get to know players and their characters & playstyles.

I played for about a year and a half without a strong guild and did do fine...it can be done. However, I find it more enjoyable to group with regulars, and not to mention a sort of sense of identity or the sense of playing with a particular "team".

I would not expect you to recognize the need for a guild, when you have not experienced the need for a party.

Mr_Ed7
10-28-2009, 11:56 AM

Darkside had two rules: RULE #1 Have Fun. RULE #2 Play with your guildies when you can.

totmacher
10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
guilds are outdated... channels rule

Jonny_D
10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
guilds are outdated... channels rule
+4 cha tome up for roll

SquelchHU
10-28-2009, 12:25 PM
+4 cha tome up for roll

Oh gods! Not that again!

...It hurts.