PDA

View Full Version : Randomizing the server list for new accounts

Borror0
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
If you are planning on a high volume of new player from Module 9, Super Secret or advertising, it would be a great idea to randomize the server list if you are a new player. Otherwise, it will lead to the same problem than the one we had before the server merge.

That is, Argonnessen will be overpopulation in comparison to the other servers since it is the first on the list.

Just sayin'.

Sirea
06-08-2009, 11:48 AM
*shrugs* Ghallanda wasn't on the top of the list, and I picked it first.

Borror0
06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
While not everyone is like, there is a trend that servers that are the first on the list gets overpopulated.

arminius
06-08-2009, 11:53 AM

People of discernment and taste can recognize the superiority of Ghallanda inherently.

Others need help. I totally agree with the OP. And surely it can't be a difficult thing to set up a round-robin through the server list.

_

Sirea
06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
People of discernment and taste can recognize the superiority of Ghallanda inherently.

Others need help. I totally agree with the OP. And surely it can't be a difficult thing to set up a round-robin through the server list.

_

I lol'd :D

But I wasn't disagreeing with Borror. It might help even out the server populations if something like this was implemented.

Impaqt
06-08-2009, 11:55 AM
We can only dream that Overpopulation will someday be a Issue for DDO.

QuintonReece
06-08-2009, 11:57 AM

True enough Impaqt.

As for the OP, what if you have a friend on a specific server and the '' random '' list doesn't show him/her?

Unless that is addressed I think it would be a very bad idea.

kamimitsu
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
When I joined there was a message similar to "New Players are encouraged to join Fernia". I didn't know any better, so that's where I ended up. I'd imagine they still do something similar, in that the lower population servers have more recommendations. I don't know if that has any effect, though.

Comfortably
06-08-2009, 12:03 PM

I agree with this the most. I played around on all the severs before staying on Ghallanda, because it seemed like there were more helpful people.

Sirea
06-08-2009, 12:04 PM
True enough Impaqt.

As for the OP, what if you have a friend on a specific server and the '' random '' list doesn't show him/her?

If I were having friends try out the game, what server I play on would probably be one of the first things I told them, after "Go here to install the trial" ;)

Comfortably
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
If I were having friends try out the game, what server I play on would probably be one of the first things I told them, after "Go here to install the trial" ;)

Duh? ;)

Borror0
06-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't know if that has any effect, though.
It has some effect but not much.

Most people don't bother reading and just want to play. Guess what happens?

Not sure what you are trying to say.

Borror0
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I was saying that in case they expect Super Secret or advertising to bring in a lot of new players, and want to avoid the type of problem they have with Brandywine or had with Argonnessen prior to the server merge.

Strakeln
06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
If you are planning on a high volume of new player from Module 9, Super Secret or advertising, it would be a great idea to randomize the server list if you are a new player. Otherwise, it will lead to the same problem than the one we had before the server merge.

That is, Argonnessen will be overpopulation in comparison to the other servers since it is the first on the list.

Just sayin'.*GASP*

Don't tell the Argonauts this, they'll be crushed! :D

arminius
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
It has some effect but not much.

Most people don't bother reading and just want to play. Guess what happens?

Not sure what you are trying to say.

I think that poster thought you meant to hide some of the more highly populated servers, maybe? I didn't get that from your proposal, I presumed you just meant to shuffle the order so that the bajillion computer users out there with NEXT --> NEXT --> NEXT --> NEXT fever get some other default server sometimes.

_

Borror0
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I presumed you just meant to shuffle the order
That is what I proposed.

ianliam
06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
thats it ohhhhh yea thats what i'm talking about i'm that next---->next guy thats why i'm on my server.......nope i tryed khyber then Ghallanda but found my Home in Argonnessen where the people are the GREATEST!!!!!!!!

ianliam
06-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Shuffle the server names thats a good idea..

Beherit_Baphomar
06-08-2009, 12:45 PM
*GASP*

Don't tell the Argonauts this, they'll be crushed! :D

I actually suggested this before the server merge for the same reasons.

I still think this should be done, regardless of how many new players we get.

Borror0
06-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I still think this should be done, regardless of how many new players we get.
True. Reducing the chances of new players encountering you or Aspenor will greatly help the game's chances to last.

:D

Borror0
06-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Seems like this suggestion has gained in importance with yesterday's announcement.

Hafeal
06-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Borror0 -

I thought before the server merge they used to do this. Then they stopped doing it and vaguely remember an outcry on the forums ... I don't recall the explanation for why they stopped doing it, however.

Borror0
06-10-2009, 07:22 AM
I thought before the server merge they used to do this. Then they stopped doing it and vaguely remember an outcry on the forums
If they did stop doing that, it was between your join date and December '06.

I don't remember them doing that ever since I started playing. I know that the list was not shuffled when I joined.

Quanefel
06-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Maybe have Khyber for some reason not show up on the list? o.O

'Just saying.