PDA

View Full Version : Monk Gear For Butter

Original
06-04-2009, 09:34 AM
My monk will soon be ready to start crafting.
Not sure what to do thou.

I have a pure monk human who uses handwraps mainly, but kama's for vorpal... etc.
Usally in storm stance or fire.

I have the belt of thoughtful rememberance... but not really sure what else I should get.
Guess I am looking to see what monks are wearing and using at end game.
What kind of dragon touched armor setup?
What kind of kama's?
What kind of shroud items?
Should I grind for ramients?

Arkat
06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
The grind isn't as bad for Icy Raiments as it is for the perfect Dragontouched Vestments from Reaver's Refuge crafting.

For endgame weapons, look for +4 Weakening of Enfeebling and +4 Maladroit of Bonebreaking on either Handwraps or Kamas.

Weakening of Enfeebling on Handwraps is broken right now but has been fixed in Mod 9 (at least it was on Lamannia). It works fine on Kamas.

Make a Greensteel item with +45 HPs and +5 to Con skills if you can. Make sure it has Existential Stalemate as well. That gives you +6 to Wisdom amongst other things. The +5 to Con skills helps your Concentration skill which is super-important for monks.

Also look for something that gives you at least a +2 unnamed bonus to hit. The Spectral Gloves (which also gives you +5 to Dex and allows you to hit ethereal mobs without the miss chance) form the Offering of Blood quest and the Tumbleweed ring (also gives you +6 to Dex and +10 to Tumble) from the Hound raid are the two items that I know of that can do that.

LargeMarge
06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Reroll!!!

Your Kung Fu is weak!!!

:D

Dude?! Did you hear about David Carradine? He passed away today.

QuantumFX
06-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Personally, I like my Mineral II cloak on my monk. It’s 45 extra HP, +6 to my concentration score, a +5 Protection item and I'm not required to wear the minos legion 24/7. (I switch out between the Minos Legion and the Helm of Free Will.)

Icy Raiment is way easier to grind for but I'd still work on that perfect suit of Dragontouched Vestments.

Delacroix21
06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
For endgame weapons, look for +4 Weakening of Enfeebling and +4 Maladroit of Bonebreaking on either Handwraps or Kamas.

Weakening of Enfeebling on Handwraps is broken right now but has been fixed in Mod 9 (at least it was on Lamannia). It works fine on Kamas.

I used to stockpile weakening of enfeebling and maldroit of bonebreaking wraps, but I have recently found a superior solution (which will be even better in mod 9). The answer= is weakening of weighted or (for now) maldroit of weighted. The stun effect is nice and the difference in stat damage over time is minimal due to poor unarmed crit range.

I have YET to enhance my 2 greensteel kamas (dont know why I made them). While the +4 insight AC would be nice, I honestly feel like every option out there would be a waste of my saved shroud matierials due to the stinkyness that is kamas. I allready have my 2 transmuters of PG, and against anything stat damageable my holyburst of weighted or maldroit of weighted handwraps outdps (they hit 0 dex in no-time for autocrits).

Kamas and staves really stink. I am saving my mats for when (if ever) greensteel handwraps are added. Otherwise I will only use them to craft weapons for my alts or for items like the +5 port with 45hp cloak mentioned earlier.

P.S. Earthgrab may be your cheapest option, but watching a guild monk with dual earthgrab kamas I noticed my maldroit wraps (on average) go the monster auto-crit much sooner and far more reliably.

Kaboth
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I used to stockpile weakening of enfeebling and maldroit of bonebreaking wraps, but I have recently found a superior solution (which will be even better in mod 9). The answer= is weakening of weighted or (for now) maldroit of weighted. The stun effect is nice and the difference in stat damage over time is minimal due to poor unarmed crit range.

I have to agree here, with your flurry the maladroit and stuns kick in quit a bit.

However, I doubt on raids/quests if there is one ore more DPS melee builds there, you will get much credit since Dex Drain/Stun allows aut crits for everyone. So Insta kill weapons on high DPS etc will "technically" out do your DPS. There is nothing in DDO (AFAIK) that would show a monks contributions to a party/raid.

I spam Eagle Claw and Unbalancing strike in my attacks which debuffs the mobs and makes it easier to hit them (ergo more DPS for others), which the two debuff attacks also allow you two extra attacks in your normal attacks which increases your DPS. The mobs you can Dex Drain/Stun, also increases their DPS. If you do monk buffs/heals, that gives +2 to hit (more DPS for all) Blur, (less damage to all if no blur available), Mana buff to lower the amount of aman used in intial debuffs, and unbalancing strike also allows for sneak damage to sink as well, even on red named mobs.

IMHO, a monks COMPLETE contribution is ignored and people only look at kill counts and/or a monks AC build only. In others opinions, ny monk is probabably a gimp with AC usually in the low 50's (I dont have icy raiments or perfect drgon touched armor) and in full defensive mode with raid buffs, I think I can MAYBE hit 60 but more than likely around 58.

IDK, some reasons on big mob bosses, the damage alaways seems to go quite a biut faster. It might be just a lark, but I seem to hear oftern. "Wow, that went a lot smoother and faster than normal." Of course, people think its because everyone had their game on and never think of the monk factor. Assuming they had good monk and not one just built to try hit max DPS/AC only.

Just my 2cp worth of thoughts.

PS: Idea for Handwraps that wouldnt be implemented, Barbed Handwraps (Piercing) and Razored Handwraps (slashing), or an item/effect/Enhancer, that gives you these effects. Maybe they could make an enehancement for Transmuting, or maybe additional material properties for your fists.

Garth_of_Sarlona
06-08-2009, 05:49 PM
If it helps, my monk has gear as described in this page (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2185508#post2185508). I haven't crafted any weapons except a res clicky. Unless the devs add GS wraps, I'm probably not planning to either, I'm just hoping that mod9 rings will offset the current lack of monk dps.

I also wear a DT outfit with +5 resist, 20% healing enh, and +4 insight.

Garth