PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Shroud Crash Thing

joker965
05-26-2009, 10:31 AM
First let me say that I'm an IT guy and have been building my own gaming PCs for about 10 years. I've checked all of the normal things that might be a problem like the newest drivers for everything and such.

1. Every time I run The Shroud my client crashes to desktop repeatedly.
2. It happens without warning and almost instantly.
3. I don't have lag.
4. There are no graphics or sound issues.
5. Just "bang" client executable error... game gone. Almost every time I'm able to log directly back in and continue minus buffs and sometimes chests
6. This never happens anywhere else in the game
7. I have been almost everywhere in the game
8. It seems to happen most often in part 3 after all of the puzzles are done and we are getting ready for the next part but it has happened in every part other than 1 I think.

Any thoughts?

joker965
05-29-2009, 04:23 PM
So I narrowed it down to the vorbis.dll file. This is a dll for an audio decoder. There must be a minor incompatibility between my sound blaster live card/drivers and the version of the file that DDO uses. This is really hard to test of course because I have to run shroud to test it.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Does anyone else feel like they are talking to themselves? :)

Phidius
05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
While I've not experienced the crash as you describe it, my computer does have the occasional crash.

I've determined that whenever an AOE spell (usually acid fog) terminates due to duration while a mob is under its influence AND I'm out of range of that creature (deliberately vague), my computer will crash.

Scenarios:

1. While flying to pull the lever in the Reaver's Fate, and a Wall of Fire below goes out.
2. Using an Acid fog on Cholthulzz in Ghost of Perdition, and taking a DDoor to recharge at the shrine
3. Using a Wall of Fire on the portals in Inferno of the Damned

and anywhere else that I cast an Acid Fog then continue running. I've learned to hang around my AOE spells, or erase them with Break Enchantment before I go.

Doesn't have anything to do with your issue, I guess, but you sounded so lonely :D

Mirthgar
05-29-2009, 06:06 PM
You might want to try running the game with your sound card disabled in Device Manager (temporarily and just to confirm that the sound drivers are related to the crashing).

Also you might want to try switching the in-game audio from hardware mode if your currently using that to software mode also.

Aside from that I'd recommend opening a support ticket (http://www.ddo.com/component/content/article/486-tech-ticket)if it keeps up.

wrigghawk
08-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I have the exact same issues.... I crash only in shroud..it can happen in any part but seems to happen most in part 1. I crash at least once every shroud run. I would agree that it seems to be sound related but I have no diagnostic proof.

Namanda Icehawk, Khyber. Founder.

SableShadow
08-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Also you might want to try switching the in-game audio from hardware mode if your currently using that to software mode also.

This seems to have fixed my client-stutter-in-specific-locations issue. Needs to go into the FAQ, great fix! :D

joker965
08-07-2009, 08:50 AM
I have the exact same issues.... I crash only in shroud..it can happen in any part but seems to happen most in part 1. I crash at least once every shroud run. I would agree that it seems to be sound related but I have no diagnostic proof.

Namanda Icehawk, Khyber. Founder.

I uninstalled my sound card and removed the drivers. I went as far as deleting the files directly but I'm not sure I needed to do that. I then went to creative labs and got the newest drivers again and reinstalled everything. Bang! Fixed. It was all about the one dll I mentioned. When I get home I'll post the version I have now that is fine.

Llandorin
10-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Looks like this was resolved, but along the same lines, I am experiencing the same thing. I installed Windows 7 Professional (RTM) on the weekend, and like Joker, I am in the IT industry and know my way around a PC pretty well. I also got the exact same problem - CTD in the shroud, and I also traced it to the same file (vorbis.dll). Using a creative Audigy card, so I will attempt to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to see if that works. Given that the vorbis.dll file is located in the DDO folder, not sure if this will fix the problem, but will try anyway.