PDA

View Full Version : Super Secret = Psionics?

Ganak
05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
On Llama we've seen psionic bonuses during the Degenev Brothers event (screenshots bottom of page 2: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=180832&page=2).

Tot proposed this theory, but he hasn't posted yet and I'm impatient because it's one of the most plausable theories for the "Vast and Mysterious" surprise.

Undeniably, psionic bonuses have been introduced, at least in testing on Llama - Fact.

Psionics is present in Eberron - Fact.

The devs have acknowledged in the past that Kalashtar is on the table for a possible race - Fact.

Psionics will be in 4e (although to the best of my knowledge this has not been fleshed out) - Fact.

Vast and mysterious - psionics fit this description.

Kalashtar are similar in appearance to humans - easy to render in the game.

We're seeing some other races and classes delayed (half-orc, half-elf, druid, etc). In favor of psionics and Kalashtar?

Again credit to Tot for the theory. Discuss...

Kylstrem
05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Psionics are not very vast.

Vorn
05-07-2009, 09:11 AM
"It doesn't take a Kalashtar..."

My favorite DDO quote!
:)

Grimgore
05-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I hope not. There are so many other things that would make the experience much more enjoyable than that system. People have a hard enough time with the little spells available vs. PnP let alone the lack of races and classes. I would rather see Shifters or even Changelings added before they add yet another "broken" system to this game.

Slink
05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
"It doesn't take a Kalashtar..."

My favorite DDO quote!
:)

LOL, to be sure. It is amazing how some of the DM lines have acended to cult-like status.

cheers,

S.

edit: is this topic worthy of it's own thread? i.e. "What's your favorite DM text?"

Kalanth
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
The two things that I have wanted since day one were Half-Elves and Psionics. Give me those two things and I can recreate my all time favorite PnP character, Elborn d'Medani of Sharn. I still don't expect to ever see it happen those are the things that would really get me excited.

The_Rev09
05-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Bringing player concerns to meetings doesn't happen by psionics

A secret hint by Tolero? :confused:

Mhykke
05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
The reason why I don't think kalashtar is "vast and mysterious" is b/c it wouldn't make sense, considering they seem to be pushing off half orcs.

Basically, it would be saying that "vast and mysterious" is basically just pushing off one race for another....

Borror0
05-07-2009, 11:20 AM
edit: is this topic worthy of it's own thread? i.e. "What's your favorite DM text?"
It is. It's the kind of things that will get spotlighted by Tarrant, even.

Tarrant
05-07-2009, 11:44 AM
It is. It's the kind of things that will get spotlighted by Tarrant, even.

I concur.

barecm
05-07-2009, 11:46 AM
"Vast and Mysterious" = "Even we (Turbine) don't know what is coming next"

Aspenor
05-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I concur.

I challenge you to THUNDERDOME!

Borror0
05-07-2009, 11:49 AM
"Vast and Mysterious" = "Even we (Turbine) don't know what is coming next"
I think Lamannia is down for Super Secret. I don't see why it would be down otherwise.

Tarrant
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM

Two men enter, one man leaves.

Big-Dex
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM

TWO GO IN - ONE COMES OUT!

:D Dex was here.

barecm
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I think Lamannia is down for Super Secret. I don't see why it would be down otherwise.

That would be great, but the realist in me says they are only making fixes and then rolling it out. Based on that logic, the preview server is down because they got enough feedback to go ahead and make some final adjustments. I think the next preview will be in a year for Mod 10.

Then again, I could be totally off and they add some stuff for us to preview... but then again... its that old past performace predicts future performance thing that keeps happening.

Grimgore
05-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Dying time is here!!!

kingfisher
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Two men enter, one man leaves.

in actuallity its one giant, one midget and one man enter, one man leaves

MDS_Geist
05-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I would love to see Kalashtar and psionics added to the game. But given the SP system they have in place I don't see how it would be such a major change for them to implement beyond new visuals and icons. Sure they would have to implement a different power system besides SP and Ki, but otherwise psionics would function rather similarly to the current spell system except not be subject to dispelling effects like a beholder's central eye or globe of invulnerability.

But if they're doing something like bringing the rather vast and mysterious continent of Riedra into the game, that would be very cool. A whole new host of adversaries and other fun things is a great thing. The Inspired and Quori (after all, we already fought a quorcraft warforged) make for some fairly cool adversaries.

~Bandage
05-07-2009, 01:20 PM

Good point... devs, can we get a harness so we smart halfings can sit on our WF allies to control them better?

totmacher
05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
yeah, I been playing, came up with this last night, the degenev brothers were throwing mad psionics bonuses... eberron unlimited / vast and mysterious could possibly be this

The_Rev09
05-07-2009, 02:10 PM
All hail Psionics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA = Exploding Heads!!

dormetheus
05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I love the concept of psionics, but so many of its elements are for roleplay value, or require direct information/interaction with the DM. What good would telepathy do in DDO? Scrying? Remote viewing? Battles of will?

We do already have the Psy Points mechanic, but they would have to animate new casting animations, etc.

Usually my DMs would ban psionics because they were too difficult to manage. I don't see how Turb would be any different.

dormetheus
05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
All hail Psionics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA = Exploding Heads!!

Boom, Headshot! Seriously, Crohnenberg is so awesome.

MDS_Geist
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Think of the inventory space that soulknives could spare -the ultimate looting class!

Galantdramon
05-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Good point... devs, can we get a harness so we smart halfings can sit on our WF allies to control them better?

Look, everyone already knows that there are no such things as wooden golems with metal plating running around...the truth is Warforged are nothing but suits of magical armor worn by Halflings who pretend to be golems to keep others from realizing how powerful Halflings really are.

That kobold escaped that bag a long time ago...now all we can do is continue to build our power bases, and once the various emergencies and appocolpses...appocolipsi?...what ever, various emergencies and 'end of the world' problems get dealt with, we will simply let the larger, slower races realize we are in charge of their world, and things will be so much better.

Athough.............having a second Halfling that could act as a gunner in a turret would improve our abilities with our Powered Armor...sounds like we would be getting back to the Warforged Titan line of fighting vehicles.

To get there however, we would need to recover the lost secrets of 'combined armor forms' to allow us to merge our Warforged Frames into larger, more powerful forms, but that can wait until Mod 10 or 11 I suppose.

Galantdramon
-----------------
What, you thought no one would notice the pilot's hatches on the backs of all those WF running around?

Slink
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
See kids?

This is what happens when you have to many browsers open, lmao

Mockduck
05-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Seems to me that the Psionic bonus is being used so it gives everyone a bonus, regardless of what kind of other bonuses you might have on. That said, it's a start!

Madhatternynja2007
05-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Really psionics, lets introduce another broken system into the game. I am sorry, after all the complaints I hear about how broken and worthless monks are; for those who are about to defend monks, no need I have 3 of them so chill; lets continue to add things to the game that may work or may not. Lets continue to add to the system without actually fixing the system that is broken now. That being said, IF the dev's decide to redo monk's armor bonus all the cross-classed people out there are going to be ****ed to no end, I on the other hand will be entirely thrilled that these once "uber" builds be taken from their pedestal and thrown into the muck screaming and kicking. Anyway, back to the topic.

Lets not add anymore broken systems into the game until the current ones are fixed. That is all. So I would like psionics, but I would like the broken to be fixed first.

Riorik
05-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Midget never went in.

Godzbane
05-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Vast and Mysterious

Vast = The amount of knowledge the producers dont know about this game or playerbase

Mysterious = wondering where that knowledge is

barecm
05-08-2009, 12:52 AM
I think I would rather them focus on fixing ranged combat before trying to implement another combat style.

Helmet
05-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I am 100% positive I will be dissapointed by whatever V&M turns out to be, so I do not think its a new race, or class, as that is someting that would be good.

Quanefel
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I love the concept of psionics, but so many of its elements are for roleplay value, or require direct information/interaction with the DM. What good would telepathy do in DDO? Scrying? Remote viewing? Battles of will?

We do already have the Psy Points mechanic, but they would have to animate new casting animations, etc.

Usually my DMs would ban psionics because they were too difficult to manage. I don't see how Turb would be any different.

Psionics being brought to the game would not be too difficult. Most of the powers mimic arcane and divine spells to a degree. Casting animations would not be much of an issue since the powers are mentally based, there would be little animations for it. IF anything it would be the Psionicists placing their fingers on their temples to "focus". Other than that, no animations really.

Now the visual effects of the powers manifesting would have to be added, depending on the power used. They could just recycle the casting visual effects for some or all the psionic powers or mix and match by placing some newer visual effects for when some powers go off.

The information powers such as scrying, ESP, telepathy, etc actually could be reworked to me more than just roleplaying to fit in. What those type of powers would do would be to give either the caster or allies bonuses in combat, insight or psionic bonuses for attack, damage, AC, etc much like bard songs can do.

Another cool thing about psionics is that since they are mind-based they are much harder to dispell normally. Also, when an anti-magic field such as a Beholder is around, it means the powers act like bard spells in a way. The powers cast on a person as a buff will wink out of exsistance BUT will come back on you the moment you are free from anti-magic effects.

If Turbine brings psionics into the game, there are many ways it could add flavor and more choices to players on builds. Although personally when I DMed for years, I did not care much for Psionics, yet I still enjoy the idea of it being added to DDO for other players to make use of.

Taluron
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Another cool thing about psionics is that since they are mind-based they are much harder to dispell normally. Also, when an anti-magic field such as a Beholder is around, it means the powers act like bard spells in a way. The powers cast on a person as a buff will wink out of exsistance BUT will come back on you the moment you are free from anti-magic effects.

I would love to see Kalashtar and psionics added to the game. But given the SP system they have in place I don't see how it would be such a major change for them to implement beyond new visuals and icons. Sure they would have to implement a different power system besides SP and Ki, but otherwise psionics would function rather similarly to the current spell system except not be subject to dispelling effects like a beholder's central eye or globe of invulnerability.

In DnD 3.5, the default rule for psionics is that it is esentially the same as magic.
The Beholder debuff is SUPPOSED to work that way on magic, temporarily suppress, not remove. And the supression from beholders and GoI work on psionics as they do on magic.

The main difference in 3.5 between magic and psionics is that psi uses power points (read spell points) and magic is fire-n-forget (so-called Vancian system). Since magic in DDO uses spell points, there really isnt any difference between magic/psionics. You'd accomplish the same effect by making 'magic' versions of the powers available to the current caster classes.

OTOH adding the Psychic Warrior, one of the better classes from the expanded psionics hnbk, would add a direct-combat caster. It has self-buffs, self-heal and some direct attack powers (spells).

The Soulknife is an interesting idea but a poor implementation of that idea. The 3.0 prestige class was better in most ways than the 3.5 full class.

Nikmal
05-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Vast and mysterious - psionics fit this description.

Actually V&M is NOT going to be Psionics as Tarrant uses V&M as an Event type of thing and not a reveal thing. SS as in Super Secret might be psionics though... though I would rather have a Druid.