PDA

View Full Version : Weapon balancing

Bogenbroom
04-29-2009, 03:10 PM
I know this doesn't sit with the core rules, but I would *really* like to see some way, through feats or enhancements, allow a player equalize one weapon to the state of one of the few major weapons in the game.

Frankly as it is now, kopeshes, rapiers, dwarven axes, and great axes make up about 90% of the weapons used in the game. I think it would help the variety in the game if there was a way to specialize in one weapon and bring it up to snuff. I would suppose this would require a separate line of enhancements for each weapon.

And no, Kensai does not address this, because Kensai still allows kopesh users to maintain the same bonuses over longsword users.

Laith
04-29-2009, 03:16 PM
well, as far as two-handed fighting goes, equalizing the swing speeds of the weapons would make the other weapons good enough to compete.

can't say i see the logic of introducing a line of feats/enhancements that give better bonuses to some weapons on the basis that they naturally suck more than others. That's just a very awkward way to "fix" a "problem". the more direct way would be to make more items equal by nerfing or boosting base stats...

Angelus_dead
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Note that some degree of imbalance is desirable. Simple weapons should be worse than martial, which in turn should mostly be worse than exotic. There are numerous current examples where the reverse happens, such as martial Kukris being superior to exotic Bastard Swords.

And no, Kensai does not address this, because Kensai still allows kopesh users to maintain the same bonuses over longsword users.
I have suggested in the past that Kensai should give unequal benefits to the various one-handed weapons, such as by adding more damage to Bastard sword than to Khopesh. Just like Kensai gives more to 2h weapons than to 1h, it could also be used to partially equalize other kinds of imbalanced weapons.

It would also be helpful if Bastard Swords and Dwarven Waraxes were more powerful in general, such as by being usable in either one or two hands (that would give you more combat-style flexibility from a single greensteel weapon).

As a divergence, I'd also like a feat to add +1 critical threat to shortswords and daggers, just for the aesthetic value of reducing the people walking around with dual rapiers.

Bogenbroom
04-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I am not sure that I would agree that, as a whole, some weapons suck more than others. A skilled hand wielding a sickle is going to do as much damage as a skilled hand wielding a rapier. I would argue that a sickle has a number of advantages that get dropped in their translation to DDO. Many weapons have innate defensive and/or disarming features that DDO (and DnD) ignores. A truly skilled wielder of those weapons is just as deadly as a truly skilled weilder of jsut about any weapon. The thing is, the curve of skill-to-effectiveness with some of them, and a sickle is a great example, is certainly different that for someone learning a bastard sword.

Folks using exotic weapons are doing so because they took a feat (automatically or not,) so they have already applied some resources hence a resource cost should be lower to improve those uses, but, at the same time, they are, generally, more flatline in the learning curve.

Laith
04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I am not sure that I would agree that, as a whole, some weapons suck more than others. A skilled hand wielding a sickle is going to do as much damage as a skilled hand wielding a rapier. I would argue that a sickle has a number of advantages that get dropped in their translation to DDO. it would be appreciated if, for the sake of argument, you don't start arguing whether or not the abstractions used to give DDO items stats were justified.

"Realism" is a completely different argument than "i'm bored with seeing only 5 types of weapons, make the other options worthwhile", and will only serve to damage your thread.

Folks using exotic weapons are doing so because they took a feat (automatically or not,) so they have already applied some resources hence a resource cost should be lower to improve those uses, but, at the same time, they are, generally, more flatline in the learning curve.In game mechanic terms, exotic weapons should be better than martial because they cost more to use, the same can be said for martial over simple.

Bogenbroom
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
In game mechanic terms, exotic weapons should be better than martial because they cost more to use, the same can be said for martial over simple.

And I am suggesting that, similarly at a cost, characters should be able to bridge that gap. It makes sense from both a realism and a game play perspective. Does it have to be done, no, then why do it, because the weapon choice in the game is monotonously limited.