PDA

View Full Version : AC/Intim WF?

Zer0AcmE
04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Looking for builds/thoughts here.

Currently leaning towards:
Warforged 18 Paladin/ 2 Rogue Defender of Siberys

Questions, do I lose to much AC and DR while gaining Evasion, max'd UMD and max'd Intimidate?

Also what feats should I take?

Current thoughts are:

1st Mithral Body
3rd Tower Shield
6th Combat Expertise
9th Improved Critical Slashing
12th Shield Mastery
15th Improved Shield Mastery
18th Extend or Improved Ciritcal Peircing or Power Attack

Couple things to consider, really trying to stay with Warforged here, I know Human would probablly be a much better choice, but my main is a pure 16 level Human Paladin so looking to try something differnet. Also, not opposed to a 18 Fighter/ 2 Rogue build, but would prefer Paladin which is why I posted here, but will listen to both arguements.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated, running off to volleyball now, will add more later.

WeaselKing
04-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Although you would lose the UMD, the two combat feats from two levels of monk might make that option worthwhile. I currently run a 11 ftr/3 pal/2 mnk wf intimi-dr-evasion tank with a mid fifties AC that I absolutely love but I had to take the fighter levels to get enough feats to afford four feats in Improved DR!! Currently have 31 blocking DR or 44 when defiance procs, 7 DR when not blocking.

Ralmeth
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Hey Acme,

Just did a quick AC comparison. I could be wrong, but it looks like even with Icy Raiments, your AC will be 4 lower than if you went with dragontouched fullplate.

Mithral Body: +5
Base Warforge AC: +2
Icy Raiments: +4
-----------------
Armor Slot Bonus: +11 vs +15 for Dragontouched Full Plate

I'm not a warforged expert, but the warforged enhancements look like they would favor a Fighter build, with the power attack, tactics and will save bonuses as well as a warforged natural immunities (to make up for a Fighter's lack of Pally immunities). I think you would be better off with Fighter if you go warforged, though I know you won't be happy unless you make a Pally. A Fighter would have plenty of feats for both DPS and S&B intimitanking. You won't be as defensive of a tank as a Pally, but your lower AC and defenses will be made up by your DPS capability.

Ralmeth, Aka Aryk

WeaselKing
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey Acme,

Just did a quick AC comparison. I could be wrong, but it looks like even with Icy Raiments, your AC will be 4 lower than if you went with dragontouched fullplate.

Mithral Body: +5
Base Warforge AC: +2
Icy Raiments: +4
-----------------
Armor Slot Bonus: +11 vs +15 for Dragontouched Full Plate

I'm not a warforged expert, but the warforged enhancements look like they would favor a Fighter build, with the power attack, tactics and will save bonuses as well as a warforged natural immunities (to make up for a Fighter's lack of Pally immunities). I think you would be better off with Fighter if you go warforged, though I know you won't be happy unless you make a Pally. A Fighter would have plenty of feats for both DPS and S&B intimitanking. You won't be as defensive of a tank as a Pally, but your lower AC and defenses will be made up by your DPS capability.

Ralmeth, Aka Aryk

ROFLMAO, obviously you were not exaggerating when you said you were not a WF expert. Good luck getting full plate or Icy Raiments on your warforged.

Shroonith
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2169130&postcount=59

This is a link to a 18ftr/2rog.

As you can see, as a fighter, you have access to a ton of feats. So many in fact, that you can easily spend extra on SF:UMD&Intimidate.
In mod9, fighter also nets you as much AC as paladin. +3 from prestige and +3 from FAM, compared to 6 from defender of siberys enhanced armor aura. On top of that, when using a shield, stalwart defender will be wayyyy ahead, with 6/dr and increase blocking DR and AC.

If you are making a paladin tank, consider make a hate tank, using defender of siberys's passive (25%)and active bonuses(200%), WF brute fighting bonuses, and the normal paladin divine righteousness (100% for 60 seconds) clicky. Since you wouldnt be based off intimidate, You can stay pure or perhaps splash mnk.

Roman
04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
ROFLMAO, obviously you were not exaggerating when you said you were not a WF expert. Good luck getting full plate or Icy Raiments on your warforged.

If you ever want to free up those 4 feats grab yourself a Bloodrage Symbiont for DR/- 5.

Ralmeth
04-30-2009, 09:06 AM

Tried building a warforged once and didn't care for it in the least. Didn't even make it off the starter island back in the day when they had the original starter island.

Noctus
04-30-2009, 09:39 AM
The Warforged race is bad for making a Paladin.

Compared to a Human you loose:
-* 2 Feats (!), No bunus feat; need to spend 1 on body armor
-* -2 to WIS, paladins need at least some moderate points in this stat for casting.
-* -2 to CHA, Paladins need that stat for Divine Might extra damage and for Saves, as well as how much their LOH heals.
-* racial attribute enhancements +2 CON is much worse than +1STR and +1CHA a Human could give.
-* Warforged are immune to many effects, but Paladins get so high saves, that they simply would just save against them anyway.

The key in switching to Human would be gaining 2 feats on an feat starved class.

Dont get me wrong, this is no rant against Warforged, just that this race and the Paladin class have extremly negative synergies.

--------

As the OP is looking for "something different". Id say going 18 Fighter / 2 Rogue on a Warforged would be the way to go. In this case the race actually synergises well with the Class, instead of hamstringing each other.
Also Fighter gives so many feats that comparatevely 2 fewer feats doesnt make a difference. You just have more than enough, even going WF.

Noctus
04-30-2009, 09:47 AM
double-post.

Mithran
05-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Wrong thread

Jay203
05-23-2009, 01:50 PM
ac breakdown for a 18/2 Paladin/Rogue:

10 base
5 mithril body
5 dex bonus
7 dt docent <~ not fun to get =(
1 armor ritual
5 paladin aura <~could be higher depending on the bonus from PrE
1 dodge feat
7 +5 mithril heavy shield (+2 more if you go mith tower)
1 shield ritual
5 protection item
------
47 (49) before fancy stuff
2 Chaosgard <~takes out your bracer slot so no Levik's =(
3 chattering ring <~ ouch
4 insight bonus from dt docent upgrade <~%@#%#
-----
56 (58) fully equipped
3 barkskin potion
1 haste potion
-----
60 (62) pot-drinking
5 combat expertise
4 PrE stance <~gotta wait for mod 9 (sigh)
----
69 (71) in stances before raid buff

as you can see, it's pretty equipment intensive to even get to decent lvl of ac, not to mention you'll need to use up your precise feats for mithril body, tower shield proficiency, Dodge, and combat expertise.
that's 4/7 used, so you have 3 feats spare to use on choice of following:
Shield Mastery, improve crit, toughness, skill focus: UMD, skill focus: intimidate, improved shield mastery