PDA

View Full Version : Humble Request for ONE more Trinket slot.

Shaamis
04-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Hello Turbine Development team.

My drunken Tucas has been around DDO fir a while, and while my play has adjusted to teh DDO version of 3.5, I remember one part of the item slot allocation that gave me the weird "twitch" in my eye/mind that gave people around the reason to find an alternate path around me.....

That is the trinket slot.

This slot is supposed to represent a place for "unslotted" items that have an effect, yet have no real position designated on a character. In 3.5, a lot of unslotted items exist, such as the rod of splendor, that has persistent effects even while in your backpack.

I know having a pleathora of items with effects active in your backpack is a development nightmare, but please consider a second "trinket" slot for an upcoming mod.

It would be a little more realistic, more in line with the 3.5 rules, and yet adding only a small amount of update power.

The coding should be pretty easy (I hope) since the code already exists, and should merely just need a small modification.

Please consider this humble request from the Drunken Master, Shaamis "Kegtapper" Bloodfist.

<bow>

<GULP><GULP><GULP>

:D

Phidius
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
I presume that this proposed additional trinket slot should be able to hold any of the trinkets we currently have, correct?

I can see the response now...

Granted. The character sheet now has a 2nd trinket slot that will hold up to 10 Kyber dragonshards of any size. Casting the spell "Trap the Soul" will now use the version of the spell that utilizes the dragonshards equipped.

Shaamis
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
It would have all of the same properties as the primary trinket slot, and have all of the restrictions.

If you have two bloodstones one in each slot, they should NOT stack (same item/similar bonus rule)

but you could have the voice of the master in one trinket slot, and bloodstone in the other, and be right as rain.

Imagine:

!) PopX and mummified bat
2) Crimson gemstone and Kardins eye
3) Bloodstone and pouch of Jerky
4) etc.

It makes sense, and adds only a marginal amount of power, something which the Mod 9 jump to lvl 20 would overshadow greatly.

Phidius
04-22-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd go with Head of Good Fortune and Bloodstone, though...

DagazUlf
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah, and then I can have multiple ioun stones circlin' 'round me head! Do it!

Lucian_Navarro
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Is this a "User Desire" or an "Official Rule in version 3.5 or 4.0" you are pointing out?

I like the idea but if it's not in the current rule set then I imagine the majority and DDO will rule against it.

But it would be nice.

Denssor
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Hello Turbine Development team.

My drunken Tucas has been around DDO fir a while, and while my play has adjusted to teh DDO version of 3.5, I remember one part of the item slot allocation that gave me the weird "twitch" in my eye/mind that gave people around the reason to find an alternate path around me.....

That is the trinket slot.

This slot is supposed to represent a place for "unslotted" items that have an effect, yet have no real position designated on a character. In 3.5, a lot of unslotted items exist, such as the rod of splendor, that has persistent effects even while in your backpack.

I know having a pleathora of items with effects active in your backpack is a development nightmare, but please consider a second "trinket" slot for an upcoming mod.

It would be a little more realistic, more in line with the 3.5 rules, and yet adding only a small amount of update power.

The coding should be pretty easy (I hope) since the code already exists, and should merely just need a small modification.

Please consider this humble request from the Drunken Master, Shaamis "Kegtapper" Bloodfist.

<bow>

<GULP><GULP><GULP>

:D

I think a better and more realistic idea would be able to use a second neckless or a thrid ring in place of a trinket.

cdbd3rd
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Is this a "User Desire" or an "Official Rule in version 3.5 or 4.0" you are pointing out?

I like the idea but if it's not in the current rule set then I imagine the majority and DDO will rule against it.

But it would be nice.

Twould be from the rules, in that there are a lot more different item types in PnP than we have slots for.

A PnP char could, for example, have multiple ioun stones circling his head while wearing a brooch, an earring or two, plus the 'in possession' type items already mentioned.

As for game mechanic, LOTRO has slots for earings... ;)

Pyromaniac
04-23-2009, 05:24 AM
I think a better and more realistic idea would be able to use a second neckless or a thrid ring in place of a trinket.

Yep, my guys should be able to put that 3rd ring on, signed.

Aesop
04-23-2009, 05:34 AM
I remember posting about this in '06

I think I just suggested that you have items that had passive effects work from the backpack and active effects needed to be slotted to work, but if that was too powerful then at least add another slot or two.

I was mostly ignored... pretty standard, but hey more power to ya

/signed

as for the extra ring slots... there is a feat for it but you have to have forge ring to get it... beyond that you have to wait til Epic Feats to get an extra ring slot

Aesop

FluffyCalico
04-23-2009, 06:04 AM
Yep, my guys should be able to put that 3rd ring on, signed.

This is exaclty why this will die. No extra ring slots.
They should add things that work like in pnp but do not start adding more slots. This game is already so easy more is sad

Noctus
04-23-2009, 06:25 AM
In P&P you can only have 2 rings.
So you can be assured that a 3rd ring slot will not be added to DDO.

But you can wear as many "DDO-trinket-slotted them" items as you like, so an additional trinked slot would be perfectly in line with the P&P rules.
--> /signed.

Aldor
04-23-2009, 06:28 AM
I thought there were feats in PnP that allowed you to wear an extra item (1 feat per slot). Maybe it is epic though.

Shaamis
04-23-2009, 06:48 AM
I thought there were feats in PnP that allowed you to wear an extra item (1 feat per slot). Maybe it is epic though.

some are epic, some require creation feats as a pre-requisite.

I'm not asking for Turbine to break D&D Cannon(sp?) but I would just like to see another trinket slot so I dont have to:

1) remember to switch back from my bloodstone to my voice of the master before the last enemy dies, and XP is awarded THAT second.

2) try to click on my mummified bat before I hit the ground, and kindly ask the cleric for a heal, or drink healing pots while i curse.

3) shrine only to realize i didnt have my PopX on, and losing out on 100+ spell points because i slept with the bat on instead :P

4) etc.

ONE additional trinket slot is all I would like to make things a little more sensible, and a LOT more enjoyable for me.

tihocan
04-23-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm all for extra slots of any kind. Can't have enough! :)

Delacroix21
04-23-2009, 03:44 PM
An extra trinket slot would be fun.

/signed

Aesop
04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
What would be great is if every 10 levels a new Trinket slot opened up... so at level 10 you have 2 and at level 20 you'd have 3 :D

Aesop

Inspire
04-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Perhaps something along this (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=175302) train of thought?

Jopin
04-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Piercings! We could have piercings with magical body jewelry!

With themed items depending on what you choose to pierce...

Might fit in nicely with the new splash screen...:eek:

branmakmuffin
04-25-2009, 12:56 AM
ONE additional trinket slot is all I would like to make things a lot more Monty Haul, and a LOT more enjoyable for me.
Fixed.

Shaamis
04-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Perhaps something along this (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=175302) train of thought?

Thats another good reason for another trinket slot.

Remember baby steps guys/gals. Turbine might be hesitant to open the floodgates on trinkets, so asking for one is our way of saying "one slot is the least we can ask for, the game balance swing will be minimal, please can we have one trinket slot?"

asking for more will just increase the chance of this request being just another good idea getting ignored.

Shaamis
04-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Fixed.

Um, DDO is already monty haul if you havent looked around.

If you dont have anything constructive (constructive can be for or against BUT it has to have valid points) then lurk only please.

I am a D&D veteran, and a DDO veteran, I'm seriously asking for another trinket slot for reasons I have already stated.

Thank you.

Shaamis
04-25-2009, 07:40 AM
What would be great is if every 10 levels a new Trinket slot opened up... so at level 10 you have 2 and at level 20 you'd have 3 :D

Aesop

maybe that can be implemented after it is detemined by the devs that one additional trinket slot is not the crazy power mad combo it is perceived to be. I do think eventually it can happen, but maybe not at the first baby step in this process.

Uska
04-25-2009, 08:13 AM

doesnt go with rule set

branmakmuffin
04-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Um, DDO is already monty haul if you havent looked around.
So let's make it even more Monty Haul. Great. :rolleyes:

Shaamis
04-26-2009, 10:16 AM
So let's make it even more Monty Haul. Great. :rolleyes:

have you played D&D PnP? since when did PnP DMs allow half of the **** this game allows.

Maybe they can take out some of that, or bump vorpals up to lvl 18+ and put in stuff that we are supposed to have.

I remember when the cap was lvl 10 thinking why do we have vorpal weapons at level 10?

I cannot think of any game-breaking combination of two trinket items equipped (currently in game), that would equal the "monty-haul" already in ddo.

And if the two-trinket slot idea is implemented, then it will curb the power-level of trinkets in the future.

branmakmuffin
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
have you played D&D PnP? since when did PnP DMs allow half of the **** this game allows.
Even the most Monty Haul DMs I played with back in ye olden dayes did not approach DDO.

Entwhistle
04-26-2009, 10:30 AM
I'd like an extra trinket slot or two. I was thinking they could be tied to favor, one trinket at 800 and another at 1200 or there abouts. It'd give some meaning to the favor between Drow and 32 pt builds for new players and give players with 32pt unlocked a reason to do other quest instead of their favorite XP grinds while leveling their new character.

Tomas_Laren
04-26-2009, 10:52 AM
/signed

and Denssor I already had that discussion with you in guild chat :p there is a feat that would allow 2 rings per hand or something similar

but yeah more trinkets are good, brooches, earrings, eyepatches, nose ring, lip ring, other peircings in various areas... feathers in your hat that summon giant birds... just about anything you can think of

I also think there were feats that allowed for dual wand wipping, but it used extra charges... would also be cool to see since they're adding the mouse click to use wands ability

Shaamis
04-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Even the most Monty Haul DMs I played with back in ye olden dayes did not approach DDO. agreed.

Shaamis
04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I'd like an extra trinket slot or two. I was thinking they could be tied to favor, one trinket at 800 and another at 1200 or there abouts. It'd give some meaning to the favor between Drow and 32 pt builds for new players and give players with 32pt unlocked a reason to do other quest instead of their favorite XP grinds while leveling their new character.

That is a damn good idea