PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT USE auto builds if you have 32pt as an option

dragonhighlord1
04-20-2009, 12:57 AM
I just came across some thing that I find so completely insane that I had to check it 5x, If you have unlocked the 32 pt build, and then decide to use the "the great" auto create it does not use your 32, it uses 28, We are guild full of newbies, and spent alot of time getting our 1750 favor at which point put these char to rest, to work on our new char that could be the same race and class with 4 more stat pts ... now the real crappy part, we all have gottne to level 14 to 16 before we found this out, (was having a build conversation with a very helpfull guy thelanis) and after i told him my base stats he said " I thought you said you unlocked the 32?) hence the slap in the face, so i tested it, I used auto build, wrote down starting stats, and then created same class and race using custom, every one still had four pts to use...... will admin do anything ? guess we will see, maybe this is common knowledge and I just dont spend enough time on the forum and turbine doesnt see the need to fx or put a disclaimer because no one or least no one other then us five, that takes the time to get the 1750 would use the auto builder.

Impaqt
04-20-2009, 01:18 AM
I just came across some thing that I find so completely insane that I had to check it 5x, If you have unlocked the 32 pt build, and then decide to use the "the great" auto create it does not use your 32, it uses 28, We are guild full of newbies, and spent alot of time getting our 1750 favor at which point put these char to rest, to work on our new char that could be the same race and class with 4 more stat pts ... now the real crappy part, we all have gottne to level 14 to 16 before we found this out, (was having a build conversation with a very helpfull guy thelanis) and after i told him my base stats he said " I thought you said you unlocked the 32?) hence the slap in the face, so i tested it, I used auto build, wrote down starting stats, and then created same class and race using custom, every one still had four pts to use...... will admin do anything ? guess we will see, maybe this is common knowledge and I just dont spend enough time on the forum and turbine doesnt see the need to fx or put a disclaimer because no one or least no one other then us five, that takes the time to get the 1750 would use the auto builder.

This seems to only prove that there really isnt much difference between 28 and 32 points biulds. You were levels 14-16 before you even noticed.... If someone else didmt point it out, you probobly never would of noticed.....

No, Admin/Turbine is not going to do anything.

dragonhighlord1
04-20-2009, 01:37 AM
"This seems to only prove that there really isnt much difference between 28 and 32 points biulds. You were levels 14-16 before you even noticed.... If someone else didmt point it out, you probobly never would of noticed....."

not the point.... I dont notice the diff between tempest and non either, but I know its better, I also know having four extra points to spend is better as well, I didnt grind out 1750 for a plus 2 tome that I get to use after my char is already level 15.. Hey thanks for letting me know tubine wont do any thing, you are good with the obvious, it must be the merely obvious that must throw u,,, I didnt insult you, why insult me ? I am very @$$#%$ off right now, that is a terrible design to not account for 32pt (imo,)which ammounts to nothing except to me, the person that just spent that much time only to have to start over, I started this guy the week that the auto buld came out, we dont level that fast, I was doing the same char i already had only with four more pts...or so i thought. I stopped the auto level at 3, when i realized how bad it is at picking skills and feats,

Minor_Threat
04-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Not sure why anyone who had played long enough to get 1750 would use the presets anyway. They are designed for new players, which would explain the logic that they don't take advantage of the extra 4 pts

If you're going to whine about something, make it something that isn't partly your own fault.

TechNoFear
04-20-2009, 02:50 AM

Ouch!

I didn't know that the auto build was always 28 pt builds (but have not used the auto builder).

I can not see an admin (CSO) helping but I would report it anyway.

I would get all your companions to bug report it as well, better to get this fixed (even just to save anyone else the pain).

Sorry about the other less sympathetic posters. I suppose they must be the type of person that feels better about themselves by putting others down.

I don't think trusting the auto builder qualifies as 'partly your own fault'.

honkuimushi
04-20-2009, 07:06 AM
This was pointed out when mod 8 was released to Risia. The Turbine response was that the pre-selected paths were for new players and that those who had reached 1750 would have enough experience to want to create their own build. Some people have requested that the customize button be bigger and available earlier in the character creation process.

I think you experience points out that it might not be a bad idea if the first screen of character creation was a choice between 28 pt. Build Paths vs. customize. With the 28 pt. part being included on the button.

tihocan
04-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I still think it's really dumb they didn't do the little extra work required to make them 32 pt builds as well. They could have just added a few points here and there while maintaining the exact same characteristics for the rest of the build.. (might not have been the best way to optimize a 32 pt build, but it would have worked with little effort at least).

Lerincho
04-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Actually Kate, and others from Turbine stated during MOD 8: New Player Experience, that those with 32 point should not be following the path. The Paths are meant for new characters. It is expected if you have a 32 point, that you have some concept to making a character.

negative
04-20-2009, 09:25 AM
While I agree that there should be some sort of warning that the premade builds will not be using your newly unlocked 32pt builds, honestly, even if the premades were available in 32pt flavor, if you have 1750 favor you really should be rolling your own characters instead of using those crummy premade builds.

dragons1ayer74
04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Another 32 point build issue, for those that say it is not a big diffrence than lets just let every one have 32 point builds. Sorry for you pain OP. If it is a bug that is terrible and I hope any one that has suffered because of it is compensated in some way. Although I am not a fan of the auto builds it still is a game feature and it still should work properly.

Lerincho
04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Another 32 point build issue, for those that say it is not a big diffrence than lets just let every one have 32 point builds. Sorry for you pain OP. If it is a bug that is terrible and I hope any one that has suffered because of it is compensated in some way. Although I am not a fan of the auto builds it still is a game feature and it still should work properly.

It is not a bug, and it IS working properly. The paths were designed to help ease new players into the world of DDO. New players, not new characters, and it does exactly that. The devs stated, the producer stated this was a tool for new players, not veterans of the game. Honestly if you have 1750 favor, and have to rely on the paths in game, instead of the character generated by Ron; other issues are here that the paths help mask.

negative
04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
This is the intended behavior of autobuilds. You aren't supposed to use the autobuilds once you get 1750 favor. A warning box would be acceptable though.

BLAKROC
04-20-2009, 04:57 PM

lets see ,,,,, no 1750 favor unlocks 32 point builds not for just giving it to all.

the auto path only use 28 pt IS NOT A BUG. and it does work properly for what they are intended.

and why should any one be compensated for somthing that was known about since the launch of the auto path builds?

it's called RESPONSIBILTY. when ya take the easy way ( auto builds) you get what ya get and ya don't throw a fit if it's not to your liking.

Plenty of builds floating around out there. try one.

dragons1ayer74
04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
I have got 1750 a few times but people that say there is no difference between 32 and 28 point builds are wrong, there are differences even if they are small. I was playing advocate just because I have went through the grind multiple times doesn’t mean others should have too IMO. I have never used auto path and never would the ability to make your own character as you see fit is one of the biggest reasons I like this game. However with no notification, no great knowledge of the game, no warning, no pop-up or no confirmation how would you know that what you where doing was restricting you to 28 point builds? I want new people to join the game and have fun, I want the game to grow and bring in new money (which hopefully means more content). I sympathize with the OP, too work through to 1750 and unlock 32 point builds then go and make a new character thinking I was using this new to me feature that I had just unlocked then proceeding to level it up too level 16 yeah I might be a little upset about it.

Voalkrynn2
04-21-2009, 02:45 AM
I have two toons with 1750 favor and made a new char last night. I did "customize" for a huma thief instead of taking a cookie cutter and have the same base stat points as the path.

I guess the numbers are for the 32:
s/d/con/i/w/cha
12/16/14/16/10/8

And.....

I guess the 28 pt numbers are:
10/16/10/16/12/8

Everything is fine on this toon but I'll have to delete a lvl 9 ranger and lvl 9 pally as I selected pre-defined paths instead of doing it myself.....GRRRRRRR!

dragons1ayer74
04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
You turned in the 1750 favor and recived the +2 tome for the server you achievied it on right?

dragonhighlord1
04-21-2009, 12:00 PM
lets see ,,,,, no 1750 favor unlocks 32 point builds not for just giving it to all.

the auto path only use 28 pt IS NOT A BUG. and it does work properly for what they are intended.

and why should any one be compensated for somthing that was known about since the launch of the auto path builds?

it's called RESPONSIBILTY. when ya take the easy way ( auto builds) you get what ya get and ya don't throw a fit if it's not to your liking.

Plenty of builds floating around out there. try one.
I did "Try one" We tried five of the builds that turbine puts out, on its char creation screen, We got our 1750 favor, rerolled basically same class and race thinking that it has four more points to work with, Saying its called "Responsibilty" does that mean reading the forums, how often, to be in "your" class of "responsibilty", so that I would know that a really cool feature put in mod 8 BUT dont use if you have 1750 favor? There a lot of feats, skills, items in this game and I will would say most do not know every thing about what stacks and does not, (in short it is a great game as opposed to wow due to the details and constant learning ) hence a creator of the game, one would think, would know more about how to make a good build such as intimi or tempest so we were using the created paths, forget being able to use your hard earned extra four pts on the auto build, forget being even told sorry we are gonna fix that, just put a warning or note for those who play the game that do not spend hrs on the forum reading bugs and what stacks and what does not(its very tough to get a straight answer on these issues as it is) I KNOW turbine is not going to compensate for design flaws on a good idea, but that does not mean they shouldn't and maybe they will put as little note on that char creation screen for others like us that love the game, love the favor system (even got our top tier silver flame, I think most would agree that is useles, but we just try every thing we can to make our char better with in the game, and its rules with out having to search the forum for something we do not even know exist.

Uproar
04-21-2009, 12:05 PM
No, Admin/Turbine is not going to do anything.

What the heck are you talking about (again) Impaqt???

It's a bug. They better damn well fix it. Or at least let folks know it's a 'Feature'.

negative
04-21-2009, 04:29 PM
It's a bug. They better damn well fix it. Or at least let folks know it's a 'Feature'.
It's a feature, not a bug. Working as intended. I think this thread proves they need a warning box though.

Lerincho
04-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Sorry to break it to you, but even the producer of this game stated that the path ways for New Player Experience was never intended for favored and veteran players. She answered in an interview prior to MOD 8, that they would be 28 point builds because it is a tool entirely meant for the sole purpose of assisting new players.

VirieSquichie
04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but even the producer of this game stated that the path ways for New Player Experience was never intended for favored and veteran players. She answered in an interview prior to MOD 8, that they would be 28 point builds because it is a tool entirely meant for the sole purpose of assisting new players.

It's a feature, not a bug. Working as intended. I think this thread proves they need a warning box though.

Yes. When the only indication that something will not do as a player expects is given OUTSIDE THE GAME it is a flawed implementation. The autobuilder needs to check for 32 pt. capability and raise a big red flag.

Wormbait
05-02-2009, 08:52 AM
I find it rediculous these people saying that because someone said something months ago somewhere not actually in the game that everyone should know about it.

I've been playing since the game first came out and this is the first time I've visited the forums, so how was I supposed to read this message that everyone aparently knows about?

All info given 'in game' says that the path's are there to make things easier to get the kind of character you want. It doesn't mention being only for new players.

And what about people that started playing after mod 8? They wont have seen this elusive message either.

There should be mention of what is what when selecting these options.

Beherit_Baphomar
05-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Actually Kate, and others from Turbine stated during MOD 8: New Player Experience, that those with 32 point should not be following the path. The Paths are meant for new characters. It is expected if you have a 32 point, that you have some concept to making a character.

Fair enough, so its for newbs.

But if you want to try out a Path build with yer shiney new 32pt buy's yer screwed?

Not so hot, really, is it?

DSC
05-02-2009, 09:21 AM
It is ridiculous to suggest that this isn't a bug - even if Turbine calls it working-as-designed, it's not a sane design. It's like saying "oh, we take away four build points if you buy the Swim skill, because no one who knows the game should buy the Swim skill." What's the point of having a rule that specifically harms people who don't know the game well for no good reason?
If they're not going to fix it, they should just plain disable the auto-build button once you get your 32-pt build.

That being said, there's also no way the people in this particular case are going to get any help from the staff. Even if help were something that the staff did, they have no way of knowing when you made your characters versus when you hit 1750 favor.

gemini26
05-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Fair enough, so its for newbs.

But if you want to try out a Path build with yer shiney new 32pt buy's yer screwed?

Not so hot, really, is it?

Well.. they have all of the builds with progression to 16 listed on the compendium. If you really want to follow the build you still can, you just dont get to have it autolevel you.

negative
05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
All info given 'in game' says that the path's are there to make things easier to get the kind of character you want. It doesn't mention being only for new players.
I disgree with this, particular the part I have bolded. The fact that the game levels your character for you, screams 'only for new players'. Even a new player should easily be able to identify this.

barecm
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I can't believe people say it is the way it is supposed to work. It is clear as day that it is an oversight that they are just not willing to spend time or money to fix. I agree with the bottom line of not fixing it, but I disagree that it was intended.

unionyes
05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I always figured that the reason that the paths were 28 pointers is because nobody who has been playing enough to get to 32 pointers would use them.

I have a casual player guildie who uses them. She is a pretty talented player, but the builds leave something to be desired. We were both leveling up Sorcs at the same time, mine was my own build and hers was a computer one. We were doing fine until I started whipping cure mod wands on her and she said she couldn't UMD with her build. Once I started rezing it was even worse.

I have tried the computer builds, briefly, for a class that I don't know much about building. It was a good way for me to take it to level 8 more or less as an introduction to the class.

However, for useful information, these forums are by far the best source of advice, builds, and general knowledge.

Besides, it says that the 'Custom' option is for advanced players. To me, that is like saying that there are training wheels on the Computer builds. Once the training wheels have come off, don't expect that you can put them back on and go just as fast as you did without them.

Pyromaniac
05-07-2009, 04:41 PM
The auto builds aren't good for 28 pointers either....

Arnya
05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
When the frontend and some loading screens suggest visiting the forums, and give a web address for said forums, and the advice to check for latest hints tips etc, you can't claim ignorance sorry.

If you care about this game, read the known issues and release notes threads like everybody else. It doesn't even hurt much...

jimmymac32409
05-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I just thought I'd point out that if you want to use the auto-build and have it be 32 point then always take the DROW path. Since Drow are always and only 32 point. Don't know if you really want to go for a Drow Barb but if your feeling froggy...