PDA

View Full Version : Lag Details Report

Zoetic
04-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I figured I should mention this just in case it helps the devs track down a lag issue that is in the game. When I was creating my 3rd anniversary video, I turned up my draw distance settings for objects and terrain to "ultra high". I've found that under most conditions, my computer has no issues handling this, though there are some places where I have client-side lag. What caught me off guard was when what I expected was client-side lag was actually affecting my whole party.

Here's the scenario and what I believe took place:

The scenario: Sarlona server. Menechtarun desert. 4 character party of level 16 characters running around without much worry. 3 characters run through the undead area to check on each of the undead rare encounters while I run towards the firebrand city to clear the path and open the quest on elite. On the path to the city, horrible lag hits making the run VERY slow, and this lag affects the whole party. Once I get into the quest, the lag goes away.

My hypothesis: The characters running the undead area caused the loading of all the undead creatures and since they were running rares, probably weren't killing a lot, just spawning monsters. Meanwhile, I was running the firebrand area and with my draw distance maxed out, the objects (monsters) really far away were being loaded into memory too. Apparently the memory for those monsters wasn't just for my client, but for the whole party. This seriously taxed the instance, and it wasn't until I got into the quest that the monsters were unloaded and the lag was able to go away.

I've been able to repeat similar things in other places, but not to such a dramatic effect.

Anyway, hope this is helpful for some dev investigation.

BRINKS
04-16-2009, 05:47 PM
What you describe sounds more like what was brought up around MOD 6 or 7 when the devs increased the speed of arrows to correct issues of lost arrows and lag. Something about too many arrows in flight causing a type of lag. If your teammates all ran to different parts of the undead area and spawned a lot of undead archers without killing them, that may have been a contributing factor. Had an issue occur in Titan where everytime I fired an arrow to hit four pillar tops the whole instance would freeze for 4 seconds, including the mobs...the buff timers were still running though.

Tolero
04-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Going to hijack your thread Zoetic ^^ I don't think you or anyone will mind...

Before we get started, be sure to check this thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=97909) for help with understanding types of lag, and things you can do to reduce lag if it is related to something personal and not the game itself (internet provider, computer hardware, things of this nature).

Here is a list of things that are helpful:

Your server
Quest or area you are in
What you're experiencing (not able to move? not able to perform certain actions/abilities? Lasted short or long? Cleared up eventually?)
What is happening in the quest around you (what part of the quest were you in, what were you and your party doing at the time, etc)
Character info can be helpful also (level, race, class, character build, any details can be useful)

We've gotten a lot of good information from users so far, but more information is never a bad thing. Remember that lag can happen due to uncontrollable circumstances, like bad network providers and such, so just try to be conscious of these sorts of issues before deciding to make a report.

Zoetic
04-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Going to hijack your thread Zoetic ^^ I don't think you or anyone will mind...

Before we get started, be sure to check this thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=97909) for help with understanding types of lag, and things you can do to reduce lag if it is related to something personal and not the game itself (internet provider, computer hardware, things of this nature).

Here is a list of things that are helpful:

Your server
Quest or area you are in
What you're experiencing (not able to move? not able to perform certain actions/abilities? Lasted short or long? Cleared up eventually?)
What is happening in the quest around you (what part of the quest were you in, what were you and your party doing at the time, etc)
Character info can be helpful also (level, race, class, character build, any details can be useful)

We've gotten a lot of good information from users so far, but more information is never a bad thing. Remember that lag can happen due to uncontrollable circumstances, like bad network providers and such, so just try to be conscious of these sorts of issues before deciding to make a report.

I think I covered most of my bases in the original post, but I'll reformat to see if it helps :D

I believe I pointed out where things were distinctly client lag and then they were not, as the whole party was effected. That means it was also not network lag. (yeah, I read the other thread before posting ;))
Server: Sarlona
Quest: Menechtarun explorer area, simultaneously en-route to undead rare encounters and Chains of Flame quest.
What experiencing: Everything was moving slow, i.e. small bursts of not being able to move, which lasted for several minutes and cleared up for the whole party the moment my character exited the instance and entered the quest.
What was happening: 3 party members running to check on (and kill) rare spawns while I (as the cleric with maximized quickened blade barriers) plowed the path to the quest and opened it on elite.
Character build: I can't speak for the others...I don't even remember who was in the group at this point, though we were all 15s and 16s. My character, Droll, is level 16 human cleric (straight up!) built to be a walking shrine. In this case though he was acting more like a trotting blade-barrier. It is likely the other party members included a wizard and probably a monk.

Hmm...nowhere in the bulletted list does it really give me the opportunity to talk about my graphics settings potentially being tied into the party having issues. :p

baylensman
04-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Thursday April 16th
A full group of lvl 16's on Salona running the sands of merchatum Wilderness areas only no quests. Hunting for gems/loot whatever. When running in a group from one chest area to another, if we stopped and killed everything, lag was not present. A few time we bypassed mobs, when we did so the lag appeared. Basically when running in a line and strung out but still in sight of each other after by passing a mob the some members would stop and run in place, others would suddenly find themselves ahead of or behind the group, members of the groups suddenly switched places in line, the blue dots on the map panel flicked around a lot as if the mapping tool was only painting the screen a few times a minute, almost like watching a 2 frame a second store security video.

hope this helps, repeat only happened when mobs were bypassed instead of killed

dasein18
04-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Lately have been getting really bad lag (resulting in death) in the second to last part of the shroud. Part 1 is bad too, but since it is just sitting there beating portals not as life threatening.

two nights ago on Thelanis at about 9pm PST frame rate in second to last part dropped to a steady 2! This is after I dropped all my visual settings down to either low or un checked all the boxes I could. In between fights frame rate was between 15 to 30.

Was the 18th completion for the lvl16, 28pt build Paladin. Lag has gotten consistently worse in that quest over the last two months.

Ran shroud again last night with lvl 16 cleric (14) monk (2) 32 pt build. Before run hit the auto detect settings for the visuals. Then turned off some of the advanced boxes (blob shadows, post video effects). Pre shroud frame rate in Meridia around 30 to 40.

Part 1, little lag. Frame dropped to 10s at some portals. Last portal all beating & dropping buffs. Freeze of about 5 seconds. Seemed like everyone had the same problem.

Part 4 - lag not a problem. Probably since I was dancing around blades, throwing mass cures.

Ran hound, no issues

Ran some favor runs in 3 barrel. Frame rate up to 50 to 70. Probably since there are very few instances running?

Summary in Tolero's format:

-Thelanis server
-Shroud Part 1 & Part 4
-Not being able to move or click buttons (issue for lvl 16 Palladin with lots of clickies, not so much for lvl14/2 cleric/monk)
-Around my toons everyone beating either portals (part 1) or the pit fiend (part 4). lots of buffs, self clickies, comet falls, etc. Lots of info flowing back & forth between servers & clients for certain.
-either a lvl16 elf Paladin 28 build or halfing cleric/monk 14/2 32 pt build

CPU info
AMD Sempron 3600+ 2 ghz
2 gb RAM
32 bit
NVIDIA Geforce 7300GS
Qwest DSL (highest speed available in area)

Advice on CPU upgrades (best value add ons) is always appreciated.

The_Phenx
04-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Your server - Khyber
Quest or area you are in - The Shroud
What you're experiencing (not able to move? not able to perform certain actions/abilities? Lasted short or long? Cleared up eventually?) - The game is running 1-2 secconds behind whats displaying on my screen
What is happening in the quest around you (what part of the quest were you in, what were you and your party doing at the time, etc) - Parts 1 4 and 5 too many dual weilders with too many swings
Character info can be helpful also (level, race, class, character build, any details can be useful) - Halfling twf fighter...I don't know if it helps any but I have actually determined that if I click my fighters speed boost I can actually lag the entire party out. And yes.. they see it too.

Hope that helps a bit...Also get a lot of destructive cant move lag in the subterranea when spawning too many monsters AT ONCE...if you take it slow it doesnt happen...If you spawn a lot instantly you get lagged out, you kill them lag goes away. It reminds me of shock loading. So truly ZERGING causes lag.

Also I know we always had lag. But we didn't always have rediculous lag. I remember specifically when it started getting worse. The DX10 patch.

And Tolero If I were you... I would put a list up top so folks know which specific lag areas have been understood as troublesome and are being worked on. IE Shroud Parts 1 4 & 5 Subterranea... etc. Then as your coders need more info they could request certain things for specific areas... the player base knows those areas have been understood on your end, and as updates occur... we also understand that there is more going on over there than just fixing lag. Almost an Official feedback thread.

miceelf88
04-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Wed, Apr. 15 11pm+ eastern

Server: Thelanis

Quest: Cursed crypt

What experiencing: Bursts of non-responsiveness on all fronts for all characters (spells clicked but not going off, stutter-stepping), lasting between 10 and 30 seconds. it got progressively worse as the quest went on. Also, very long, apparently frozen, loading screens during the teleport points (this only started happening about 2/3 of the way through the quest). This was experienced by all 4 players simultaneously. The end fight was very choppy as a result of this- heals not going off, firewalls showing up late, characters freezing and stutter stepping all over the place. I can't capture it better than to say it felt a lot like the shrould (except the firewalls of course).

What was happening: The 4 party members were moving as a group through the quest (admittedly a little haphazardly), but together. We were killing everything we ran into (i.e., we weren't entering rooms and immediately leaving them, unless they were rooms with chests we had already looted and killed for). We DID go for (and get) the extra gears.

Character build: 9 halfling paladin (gearing for defender of syberis), 7/2 drow bard/rogue spellsinger, 9 drow sorcerer firewall thrower, 9 human cleric standard build.

Oddly enough, we'd completed Tomb of the Shadow Lord as a group just before this with no lag whatsoever, despite the fact that this involved an additional two hirelings, lots of running past mobs. Honestly, our dedicated group was all about just surviving in there and getting out.

baylensman
04-17-2009, 11:03 AM
pasted from another thread
I've experienced lag just like everyone else, but this is the first time I actually feel like I "created" the lag. So I thought it might be useful to the devs to post. I'm trying to follow the proper reporting placement and format here.

Quest = The Shroud
Location = Part 3 (puzzle part)
Character = Level 16 cleric
Action = Blade Barrier spell cast

Desctiption:
We had the full 12-person raid in progress in Part 3. We were in the midst of solving puzzles and running water. I'd say only a couple rooms had water at this point.

I was standing on the fountain area near the regenerating water. I accidentally hit the hotbar key for Blade Barrier and started going through the casting process.

What was unique about this situation was the entire raid experienced lag. As soon as I triggered the spell everyone started saying, "Wow, major lag!" etc. I definitely feel that the Blade Barrier spell launch is what caused universal lag on all party members (not just me). A few seconds after the spell was launched the lag was gone.

parvo
04-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Have you guys tried the old trick of turning off your player querry? I think there used to be some issue with client side constantly updating the "Who list". I've been turning mine off lately (checking the box so it essentially looks for no one) and although it's not a sure thing fix, it seems to help some. I have no idea if there is science behind it or just me and a placebo effect...