PDA

View Full Version : Our Deepest Sympathies...

Tolero
04-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Turbine would like to express our deepest sympathies to the friends and family of one of the original creators of Dungeons & DragonsĀ® game, David Arneson. We are deeply saddened by his passing.

Dave helped define roleplaying games, and has been responsible for the countless hours of entertainment we have all experienced while playing in his worlds. His accomplishments also include working with special-needs children, and later teaching computer game design at the university level.

Dave will never be forgotten for his contributions, and our condolences go out to all who knew him and whose lives he touched. He will be missed.

Yaga_Nub
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
So there is going to be a memorial for him as well?

Gum
04-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow. I honestly never heard of him before now. I'm saddened at his passing on, but a little happy I know who he is now. The fact that he worked with these children, and was an educator is great. Sounds like he was a very special person and a good friend. God bless ya bud.

Tolero
04-10-2009, 02:49 PM

We'll be working on a tribute for Dave... we were clinging to the hope that his passing would not come to fruition but alas :(

sirdanile
04-10-2009, 02:50 PM
R.I.P Dave :'(

totmacher
04-10-2009, 03:04 PM
you should make something Blackmoor related, that was an awesome setting, the very first. dave would want that :) and a +5 vorpal

The_Rev09
04-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Dave and Gary both gone. The end of an era..... :(

Shaamis
04-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I never had the honor of meeting Dave, but he changed my life (I feel) for the better, and I'm sure he has touched countless other lives through his imagination, as well as his compassion.

You are already missed.

But you are in a better place.

<salute> Fare well Sir Arneson. </salute>

:cool:

Ghirmeshk
04-10-2009, 03:23 PM
/salute

Thank you, Dave. Rest in peace.

DaveyCrockett
04-10-2009, 03:36 PM
/Salute

My first 2 characters in DDO were Scary Gygax and Slave Arneson. My own personal tribute to two legends of the gaming community.

-DfC

smatt
04-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh no another one gone...... Dave helped to bring many years of fun to my life. He gave me something to pull me from reality...... A way to ignore the real world, to leave behind that crappy day I had.....

Rest In Peace Dave.......

BLAKROC
04-10-2009, 03:39 PM
/salute

R.I.P and ty for your excellence

Maxwell1380
04-10-2009, 03:40 PM
So long Dave, thanks for the many years of escape and memories you gave me! Rest in peace!

Xeriphim
04-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Rest in Peace , you'll be missed by the masses .

cdbd3rd
04-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Gaming on the next plane just got that much better.

Roll In Peace, Dave.

:(

Deuce
04-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Sad day for gaming indeed. Didn't you guys have Dave narrate one of the quests as well? I'm pretty sure that's his voice, though I only met the man once.

*edit*

Yes, I know it was Gary who narrates Delera's. But I'm pretty sure its Dave's voice on one as well. Could be wrong though.

Chazzie
04-10-2009, 04:24 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family...

Im so happy that a tribute will be in the works

and would like to second the idea of Blackmoor and the +5 Vorpal

I can picture Dave and Gary sitting at a table rolling the dice

God Bless

toughguyjoe
04-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I thought this was an amazing tribute, so i wanted to make sure everyone got to see it.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0644.html

RIP Dave.

Shamguard
04-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I remember when DDO first released there was an anoucement that both Gary and Dave had done DM voice overs for dungeons.

What dungeon was done by Dave? Thernal?

cbj192
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
So sad.

And thanks Turbine in advance for making a tribute.

Wertik
04-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Many years ago, while in the 7th Grade, I began playing D&D with friends. Had it not been for these two pioneers in the gaming industry, I could have been partying and drinking taking a different turn in life. Instead my weekends were filled with sleepless nights, caffiene and cold pizza and blurry mornings. Undoubtedly due to the GM having the stamina to keep up with our need to get to the end of a plot. I spent weekends after weekends enjoying the exploration of mine and my friends imaginations and it saddens me deeply that we all have to move on through life without Gary and Dave to provide us with new adventures to explore. Having met both of the Gentlemen and obtained their signatures on whatever I had at the time was a great honor for me. Just to tell them both how much I had enjoyed their work and the extent to which they influenced my thinking was a satisfaction for me that has never been matched. Yes, I am now 40 years old (YEAH I KNOW, I'M AN OLD GUY NOW THANKYOU.) but there is still nothing that can stand up to the enjoyment of escaping the trials and tribulations of every day life by playing in the worlds created by both of these fine men. Dave and Gary will always hold a special place in the world for all of us, but I will miss them both very, very much. May God Bless both of their familys and be happy in the fact that they are with him. Also now not only are there ideas endless in the D&D realms, but now GOD has given them both unendless time and space in which to continue their unltimate adventure to GAME ON FOREVER WITHOUT LIMITS. Bravo Gary and DAVE.

WERTEK STRONGHAMMER:(

P.S. - Just so you guys know, when I get there with you, I look forward to sitting in at the table with you both.

Hakushi
04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
/Salute

May you rest in peace Dave, thank you for all you have done, you won't be forgotten.

Wade
04-10-2009, 06:11 PM
god bless dave and gary for all you done, rest in peace we`ll all miss you

Kistilan
04-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Cheers Dave.

Thanks for all the great work and innovation over all these years. Rest peacefully and see you in Elysium.

Mr_Ed7
04-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Thank-you for the thousands of hours of fun.

I LOVE BASIC DUNGEON & DRAGONS!

honkuimushi
04-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Yes, Arneson did the voiceover for Threnal. Just curious, but the obits said that he had been in poor health for the past few years. When did you get him to do the voicework?

I was wondering if anyone at Turbine could tell us anythig about how they got Gygax and Arneson to do the DM narration and if there are any interesting stories about those experiences?

Edvader3
04-11-2009, 01:40 AM
/Salute

I bought my first Basic D & D boxed set in 1977. Dave and Gary opened my eyes to a whole new world!
Thank you for all you have done for all of us!
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family...

R.I.P.

Ed Patterson

Jaguras
04-11-2009, 04:31 AM
R.I.P. Dave!

So many Years of good Work for all of us and now its all gone. You will be missed!

Accelerando
04-11-2009, 04:51 AM

Please make one. Say thankya.

Hakushi
04-11-2009, 05:03 AM
I was wondering if anyone at Turbine could tell us anythig about how they got Gygax and Arneson to do the DM narration and if there are any interesting stories about those experiences?

That would be something very interresting to know.

Main
04-11-2009, 05:41 AM
its sad to see the people that have given us hours of enjoyment pass away heres to you dave

Kruler
04-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I thought it was Mr. Arneson's voice in the Threnal series as well. RIP in your new plane.

Reverand
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
/salute

Thanks to Dave and Gary. We will never forget.

Clement
04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
/salute

with great sincerity and appreciation.

query
04-17-2009, 12:46 AM
with the red box and continued onward over...31 years now...32 this October...I never could have imagined such joy gaming and imagination combined D&D would bring.

That was due to the D&D team. Yes (like Microsoft,) one name sometimes gets more notice, but not when it came to Blackmoor. What an amazing place it is.

While never meeting either face to face, I play/played "Living" ganes online (pre 4th ED of course) via OpenRPG for many a game, including Blackmoor sometimes done by the God himself. While that was my communication limit, I treasure the posts and chats I did have...

*tears* which in some way hurts more than Gygax's passing since I got to know him a little.

Truly a Blackmoor themed Memorial would be most fitting.

No words alone can express my gratitude and my grief over this but I will try:

Thank you Dave. Thank you for your Multiverses and adventures and individual gaming idea and I so miss you now both of you are gone...it truly hurts when I think of not talking to you again.

Goodbye Dave, but you too will never be forgotten by me as long as I will remember D&D; may that be forever.

*Bows Head*

Kulothar
04-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I got my first boxed set in 1975.

Chainmail was Gygax and Jeff Perren and was the LGTSA sandbox variant rules to use medieval minutures that I used to build my nortorious halfling calvary and archer army.

From this was born the Castle and Crusades Society. "Dave Arneson decided to begin a medieval Fantasy Campaign for his Twin Cities Club" (quoted from the original D&D forward by Gygax). On the map of the "Great Kingdom", Dave found a nice bog and built "Blackmoor" between the Great Kingdom and the fearsome "Egg of the Coot". Dave then drew ideas from Chainmail for a far more complex game thus begining the creation of "Dungeons and Dragons Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campains Playable with Paper and Pencil and Miniture Figurines" (the original name of D&D). The original rules were developed by Dave then he and Gygax created D&D with Gygax as the editor. Dave was always more of a players person and just wanted people to have fun. Gary had a dream of creating a game that every fantasy and wargame lover would want to play. Dave's Blackmoor was finally published as suppliment 2 and became the first "outdoor/temple (of the Frog) module. Between the publishing of the rules and Blackmore Gygax published suppliment 1 "Greyhawk" with Kuntz which clarified many rules but also added the Theif and Paladin classes and 1/2 elves to expand playability. Greyhawk was where many of the restrictions were lifted. Originally only humans could be Clerics, Hobbits and Dwarves could only be fighters (max lv 4 & 6 respectively) and Elf was the only one that could dual class ftr/wiz.

In Blackmoor, Arneson added monks and assassins but what I remember most is the dozens of times we had to reroll characters due to the one round encounters with the Madusa's and Evil High Preist.

Those that did not have the pleasure of playing the small brown books, Arneson created the ultimate "Evil High Priest". Thinking that having a good 4 - 6 man party with a cleric that could raise dead and wizard that had fireball meant you could take anything, it was a rude awakening. "The Evil High Priest of the Temple of the Frog" took a full page (page 34 and a paragraph of page 35) to discribe with his gear. He was an Intelligent humanoid from another world that had to pay an annual "Loot" payment to the mothership. He has battle armor (described below), mobile medical kit (sic), and a communication module (to summon all the monsters still alive in the temple). The temple was fully alarmed so he could not be surprised. The Battle Armor gave +3, +12 move per turn, 18 Str/ 18 Dex, +3 saves and complete resistanct to elements (including as we found out fireballs and lightning). It also gave protection from disease , charming, hypnosis, life drain, and any physical spells (polymorph, decay, etc). It gave fly and waterbreathing. he only could be damaged by physical attacks. His Sword was +3 and fired 6 lightning bolts per day, detects metal and the presence of any living being in 100' but worse of all it had a 20% chance of breaking an opponents weapon in melee but was unbrakable ( really want to upset a Paladin? Break his holy sword.. It is sad to watch.). His Shield was +3 and cast a 10' ring of invisiblilty and shielded against mental, energy, wizard or cleric attacks. It could also be used to reflect spells back at the caster (that was nasty to find out the first time around). The med kit was basically a floating cube that regenerated the user and prevented diseases.

That is they type of sadistic DM Arneson was, and as many hundreds of characters as died in that temple we never conquered it, but we tried and died may times trying to get past each of the levels and obsticles, learning and adapting as we went. Arneson was truely the creator of Fantasy Roleplaying. For many a year the words "you see a man in black robes" sent my parties running in terror from fear of Evil High Priests..........

Gary and Dave, we appreciate your work and hope you get good rolls where you are going.