PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Tell levelling wizards which spells cannot be bought at vendors

Montrose
04-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm levelling up my third wizard, and I keep forgetting which spells I can buy and which I cannot.

I've solved this problem by just having my bard buy every vendor scroll in the game and send them to my wizard. Then I scribe them all ahead of time so that when I level I am only presented with spells that cannot be bought.

Clearly though this is a highly twink solution that costs a ton of money. New players who are levelling their first wizard will usually not have the cash for this type of luxury. It's also possible that they won't even know there are spells that cannot be bought until it is too late.

Additionally, maintaining a list of which spells can and cannot be bought is getting to be more of a pain as more spells are added to the game.

It would be nice if there was some UI or in-game mechanism (or even compendium entry) that listed which spells one could not purchase from vendors. That way new players can be sure and not miss out on key spells (firewall anyone?) for an entire level.

Lorichie
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
as i understand you cannot buy and level eight or nine spells, and misc lower spells (ddoor, ckill, firewall). you will eventually find them in the loot tables.
R

Montrose
04-09-2009, 06:05 PM
as i understand you cannot buy and level eight or nine spells, and misc lower spells (ddoor, ckill, firewall). you will eventually find them in the loot tables.
R

Yes, and that is what is at the heart of the suggestion. As a veternal player, I know there are certain spells I need to remember to take as I level, such as those that you mention above.

However, a new player to the game most likely won't have these spells memorized. Worse yet, they may not even know that there are spells in the game that are not offered at vendors. The AH makes it relatively easy to pick these spells up if you forget, and you can eventually find them in chests (though theorheticaly since it's random there is a chance you could never in your life pull a ddoor scroll).

It would be nicer, though, to inform the user at level-up that there are certain spells that they may wish to priortize so that they don't find themselves in this situation to begin with. That's the feature I am requesting.

Lorichie
04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Yes, and that is what is at the heart of the suggestion. As a veternal player, I know there are certain spells I need to remember to take as I level, such as those that you mention above.

However, a new player to the game most likely won't have these spells memorized. Worse yet, they may not even know that there are spells in the game that are not offered at vendors. The AH makes it relatively easy to pick these spells up if you forget, and you can eventually find them in chests (though theorheticaly since it's random there is a chance you could never in your life pull a ddoor scroll).

It would be nicer, though, to inform the user at level-up that there are certain spells that they may wish to priortize so that they don't find themselves in this situation to begin with. That's the feature I am requesting.

well said, fwiw, there was no negative insinuation meant in my post, mine was more for that new player that may not be as experienced as yourself to give a small sample of what they may not find, as opposed to actually informing you as to what you will not find.

R

Arianrhod
04-10-2009, 06:59 AM
It would be nice if there were a simple note added to the "pick spells" section of the levelup interface. Maybe just a simple asterisk next to every spell not available from vendors, with a note at the bottom explaining that fact.

Montrose
04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
It would be nice if there were a simple note added to the "pick spells" section of the levelup interface. Maybe just a simple asterisk next to every spell not available from vendors, with a note at the bottom explaining that fact.

Indeed, that would work. It doesn't have to be super-fancy.

(I intentionally ommitted implementation details to avoid tangent arguments about how rather than what. :) )

honkuimushi
04-11-2009, 02:05 AM
I like this suggestion.

I've run into this problem a few times with newer players. Recently, I ran Offering of Blood with a fairly new Wizard. When we asked him if he had Solid Fog he said that he had bought all the scrolls he could cast and was rather confused when he couldn't find it. When we told him that there were some spells that were not for sale and had to be found or taken at level up, he was quite surprised, apollogetic and a bit annoyed that there was no warning what those spells were. On the bright side, someone pulled a Solid Fog scroll in the quest and passed it over to him.

Arianrhod
04-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Another option might be to have a special scroll vendor that sells "temporary" scrolls. If anyone remembers the old Smuggler's Rest arcane caster training quest, it had a scroll of detect secret doors that vanished once you left the room. Something like that, with a vendor that sells the scrolls and inscription materials, would be a possible workaround for wizards needing to be able to scribe spells that aren't available for mass purchase from ordinary vendors.