PDA

View Full Version : Why is the game being made easier?

parvo
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
I don't understand some of the changes outlined in the current notes. XP penalty decreased for being over the dungeon level? Why? Why does a full party of six doing a quest three levels below them get good XP? Doesn't make sense. This should have gone the other way with an increase in the penalty. Hit Points of the monsters scale down with fewer in the group? Why? If I want to take on an extreme challenge solo or duo, let me. Just seems like further woosification of Dungeons and Dragons to me.

totmacher
04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
yeah, for low levels, you wouldn't understand because you've never seen any upper level content :)

Lerincho
04-09-2009, 02:48 PM
if you want to believe latest gossip it's so DDO can be put on Xbox 360.

Draccus
Here's my conspiracy Theory:

1. DDO is being changed to allow it to port to Xbox. That explains the goofy new targeting system.
2. Turbine knows that PC DDO players are going to shun these Xbox-using boors and refuse to group with them.
3. In order to keep their subscriptions, Turbine has given the small groups of shunned Xbox users an easier way to gain XP by adding needless scaling and XP bonuses.

Roman
I don't understand some of the changes outlined in the current notes. XP penalty decreased for being over the dungeon level? Why? Why does a full party of six doing a quest three levels below them get good XP? Doesn't make sense. This should have gone the other way with an increase in the penalty. Hit Points of the monsters scale down with fewer in the group? Why? If I want to take on an extreme challenge solo or duo, let me. Just seems like further woosification of Dungeons and Dragons to me.

They did, I think, because the level cap is being increased to lvl 20 yet there are only 4 or 5 new quests and 1 raid. This way, people can still at least lvl by doing the vale and shroud..

Deathseeker
04-09-2009, 02:53 PM

I think the direction they are headed is being telegraphed...simplify the interface and game, make it easier for the new player, focus less on high level content and more on interface improvements. This all leads in one direction...

...they are gearing up for an influx of less hardcore fans, and that sure sounds like a console release to me. Everything they are doing seems directly in line with that from a business standpoint. I think they view retaining a few thousand long time gamers as secondary to attractiving potentially 10's of thousands of new players.

From a business perspective this makes perfect sense to me assuming the potential new player base is much bigger than the current one. Not so great if you are a long time player, but that's reality as far as I see it.

Impaqt
04-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Here's my conspiracy Theory:

1. DDO is being changed to allow it to port to Xbox. That explains the goofy new targeting system.
2. Turbine knows that PC DDO players are going to shun these Xbox-using boors and refuse to group with them.
3. In order to keep their subscriptions, Turbine has given the small groups of shunned Xbox users an easier way to gain XP by adding needless scaling and XP bonuses.

Yeah, that new "Port to Console" developement kit Microsoft introduced last month is awesome... ALl ya gotta do is Develope a game/Engine for a PC for 10 years then load it into this sweet Microsoft Console Port COmpilers and WHAM! instant Console game!

2: If you think X-Box live would play nice with our servers your insane. If DDO was ever rewritten for a console, it would be on its own X-Box live server. Not sharing ours.
3: See Point 2.

Aspenor
04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah, that new "Port to Console" developement kit Microsoft introduced last month is awesome... ALl ya gotta do is Develope a game/Engine for a PC for 10 years then load it into this sweet Microsoft Console Port COmpilers and WHAM! instant Console game!

2: If you think X-Box live would play nice with our servers your insane. If DDO was ever rewritten for a console, it would be on its own X-Box live server. Not sharing ours.
3: See Point 2.

Where's point one? So there's only one point? Free throw?

bobbryan2
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Do you seriously not know why they made it easier to level up off lower level content?

Because there's 4 frickin' quests to gain the last 4 levels off of. Which means, we'll all be running Madstone just to cap...

They couldn't release enough new content to cap us, so they figured they may as well make it easier to keep rerunning old stuff.

Timjc86
04-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Do you seriously not know why they made it easier to level up off lower level content?

Because there's 4 frickin' quests to gain the last 4 levels off of. Which means, we'll all be running Madstone just to cap...

They couldn't release enough new content to cap us, so they figured they may as well make it easier to keep rerunning old stuff.

I am worried that all indications point to this at the moment. But I cannot possibly fathom that the devs would be that dense. ALL feedback I have seen for the last two mods (the last friggin year of content updates) have clamored for more content. I simply cannot accept the idea that they would consider 5 quests sufficient.

But I'm starting to get worried.

Edit: And what you said does indeed make sense.

feynman
04-09-2009, 04:02 PM

1. With the level cap increasing, the change to over-level penalties will make it easier to find groups.

2. The HP scale is probably to balance the stat damage nerf.

3. Stat damage regen; I'm assuming that this also works for enemies...

parvo
04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
yeah, for low levels, you wouldn't understand because you've never seen any upper level content :)

Be glad Tot. If I came to the end game I'd just make you look like a noob. :)

bobbryan2
04-10-2009, 12:10 AM

Well, maybe if they keep dumbing down the low and mid levels, you'll be playing around in shavarath before you know it.

Question: Would you have to reroll your character if you got banished by someone in Shavarath?

Milamber69
04-10-2009, 12:20 AM

Until you did the shroud....died b4 going into part 5 and then had to delete your toon :D

TreknaQudane
04-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Well, maybe if they keep dumbing down the low and mid levels, you'll be playing around in shavarath before you know it.

Question: Would you have to reroll your character if you got banished by someone in Shavarath?

Probably not since Banishment isn't a death effect.. you're just at one place and then.. you're elsewhere.

wiglin
04-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Porting to the xbox would bring alot more than just kiddies to the game. When FFXI Online ported to the 360 it brought new life to the game. That game is cross platform (PC, PS2, Xbox 360) and all on the same servers. You also do not have to have a gold (paying subscription to xbox live) membership to play. You only have to pay the monthly mmo cost. This model would work for ddo.

Shadowbain
04-10-2009, 01:02 AM
honestly imho there are not enough buttons on an XBOX360 controller to do what is done on this game, but if they did platform it to XBOX360 then my kids are set to play anytime they want seein as they each have thier own XBOX360 when i am not ****ed at Turbine and dominating one of them lmao

but it is a sad thing when they could have kept so many good loyal players just by keeping the high end content up to speed of the players they had.

manfredshw
04-10-2009, 01:23 AM
because I am a noob, pls don't make me die again and again, thank you.

Demoyn
04-10-2009, 09:19 AM
honestly imho there are not enough buttons on an XBOX360 controller to do what is done on this game...

You realize that a lot of people already use PS2-style controllers for DDO, right?

Mr_Ed7
04-11-2009, 12:01 AM
they Did, I Think, Because The Level Cap Is Being Increased To Lvl 20 Yet There Are Only 4 Or 5 New Quests And 1 Raid. This Way, People Can Still At Least Lvl By Doing The Vale And Shroud..

That Makes Alot Of Sense Too!

brool
04-11-2009, 01:13 AM
If this were to happen, it would be one of the very few xbox games I didnt buy/rent/play at all.

leviathan
04-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Quote 2. Turbine knows that PC DDO players are going to shun these Xbox-using boors and refuse to group with them.

Been playing with an xbox 360 controller for 3 years, not been shunned, most people don't know unless I tell them.

leviathan
04-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbain
honestly imho there are not enough buttons on an XBOX360 controller to do what is done on this game...

You realize that a lot of people already use PS2-style controllers for DDO, right?

As stated above, I have been playing with an xbox 360 controller for three years and I agree and disagree with the not enough buttons statement.

Enough for melee, not enough for caster/healer. I only play melee because I would be a detriment to the group as a healer, could maybe pull off caster.

Accelerando
04-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbain

As stated above, I have been playing with an xbox 360 controller for three years and I agree and disagree with the not enough buttons statement.

Enough for melee, not enough for caster/healer. I only play melee because I would be a detriment to the group as a healer, could maybe pull off caster.

More than enough for a caster, not enough for a healer though. I have no idea how one would go about playing a healer on a controller. Its virtually impossible.

FluffyCalico
04-13-2009, 12:59 AM
More than enough for a caster, not enough for a healer though. I have no idea how one would go about playing a healer on a controller. Its virtually impossible.

Remove poision is trigger 1 + a
Remove disease trigger 1 +b

With 2 triggers 2 sticks and 4+ buttons +2 extras yeah you can combo it all out.