PDA

View Full Version : Exhibit A. Attention DDO Executive branch

osirisisis
04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Exhibit A: The trends

The correspondence of these to treads: DECLINE OF PLAYERS LOOT VALUE coresponding with THE DECLINE OF TOTAL POPULATION AND TURBINE REVENUE FROM SUBSCRIPTIONS over the last 2 years.

Exhibit B: Players put allot of time and resources into getting power 5's, then the drop rate is raised and degrades the value of players hard work, money for subscription, and time.

Exhibit C: Players put allot of time and resources into looting random loot and then the value of almost all random loot degrades by the crafting system.

Exhibit D: Since w/p is the only thing left players put allot of time and resources in to obtain w/p and now in release notes turbine plans degrade the value of w/p.

It seems to me that turbine marketing strategy is have them build a house of cards then knock it down so they can build anyone one.

If this is the truth then it is flawed proven by Exhibit A.

I have a better marketing strategy: Create the same context that you had in Mod 3 (with looting rush) with mod 9. Give them there loot so they will constantly random loot run and named loot when on timer, raid when there off, to try and achieve a nearly impossible equipped toons account status while you add as much content as revenue will allow. With this it will attract the power gamers which will bring subscriptions past there peak of mod 3 and 4, creating more revenue for the faster creation of content.

Why?

1. Power gamer make up the majority of the MMOG world population.

2. hard core D&D fans in most cases are 20-65 years old and have no problem paying there subscription if they play 3 hours a month or 300 hours a month, but given Exhibit A they do have a problem when 90% there hard work is destroyed by changes made by the development team, and as the trend shows instead of spending there time and resources they take there money to other games.

3. "word of mouth is the best advertising" players have not said to there friends "I play DDO but you shouldnt because if you dont have w/p rapiers theres no point because your toon will not be viable in the game." Given now with build paths and teir 3 crafted weapons.
Players will not recommend a game to a friend by saying "work hard get your gear so it can be degrade it so most of your time goes to waste and you can work hard all over again.

4. Degrading the Loot degrades the players work and the game and a degraded game is not going to sell better.

Ghoste
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Opinion=evidence?

Those are some pretty subjective statements you're using as "exhibits".

Not that I completely disagree with what you're saying, I just find your method laughable.

Aganazer
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Are you serious? I mean I understand that you're upset about the w/p nerf, but.... wow. Exhibits and marketing strategy?

I didn't see any tongue in cheek or smileys at all.

Impaqt
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
1. Power gamer make up the majority of the MMOG world population.

Really? Got anything to back that up?

BlackSteel
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
atleast he didnt talk about an organ system again

Lerincho
04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Come on osirisisis this is starting to get sad.

power gamers are the majority? really? then why are they continually trying to make casual gamers more comfortable?

why is this under combat? it has nothing to do with combat.

devaluing loot? have you not see how out of control the economy is in game?

Gryphton
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
There were other very similar posts to this one that had a MMORPG population chart. According to the chart the population was highest in the said mod era.

I think turbine kinda tried to make the loot run sort of thing happen with the worst idea ever, oh, I mean random armour crafting system.

I do agree that this point allot of folks have enough plat and enough gear that the only thing that interests them in new raids and new and better stuff. I'm fine with the W/P nerf, I had a number of them and used them, but still said that something isn't right when W/P can drop things 10 times faster than dual wielding dual shard G/S. The transmuting nerf I think really hurst the causal gamer much more than the power gamer and think for that reason it sucks. The turning true rez into a rez ring, well I guess that's one way to get people to run shreiking mines again.

There needs to be a way to bring people back to the excitment of the random looting. I don't mean bound raid loot or bound tomes. I mean goign out in an explorer area and winning the lottery type stuff. I don't think there should be any one or two highly over powered items like W/P was, but there needs to be stuff that gets the blood pumping, cause currently there just isn't. Even if you get what you want on your sorjek armour it isn't excitment it's just relief after the extended grind.

muffinlad
04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Regarding the OP-

He has some salient points, and while the data on his evidence is scarce to say the least, Turbine does in fact, have a huge portion of this data at its fingertips, so they could verify or deny much of what he has claimed.

From what I can see on these forums, from Turbine's past statements, very little of it seems to be data driven, but they could, in fact, be hiding that. I hope I am wrong.

What they are doing will not make me quit, but they way they do things, and their ability to convey why things are done is very disapointing.

muffinlad

Borror0
04-09-2009, 05:19 AM
The correspondence of these to treads: DECLINE OF PLAYERS LOOT VALUE coresponding with THE DECLINE OF TOTAL POPULATION AND TURBINE REVENUE FROM SUBSCRIPTIONS over the last 2 years.
Correlation does not imply causation.

If there is a decline in population while the value of loot decreases, you have only demonstrated correlation, not causation.

In fact, if anything, common sense would prove you wrong. If the value of our loot stayed static with time, the +5 Str glove that we were happy to have back in the Module 3 area should have the same value than now. However, for there to be new incentive, old loot must be slowly outdone by new loot. Otherwise, we reach a scenario where there is nothing to loot.

Furthermore, if the old loot stayed as valuable and new loot was still introduced, it would widen the gap between haves and have-nots. DDO cannot afford such a division, given the size of its playerbase.

Finally, everything seems to point out that the playerbase is increasing (http://mint.enterwiki.net/).

With this it will attract the power gamers which will bring subscriptions past there peak of mod 3 and 4, creating more revenue for the faster creation of content.
If the population of M3 and M4 was higher than now, it was for multiple reasons of which loot was only a minor factor (and not for the reason you mentioned).

The greater factors are:

Newness of the game
Faster development cycle
Greater trust in the developing team
Greater exposure

The first factor contains multiple elements, so allow me to clear that one out.

Since the game was new, the numbers were temporarily inflated (and further inflated because of the publicity). I don't think it will sound that surprising if I say that more player will tend to try the game at first, when it's new, and see if it fits them. There was also much more players who had yet to be burned out by "lack of content". During that period, the numbers are higher than what they will really be.

There's an aspect that is more relevant to the thread's topic, however.

Since the game was new, it means that players had yet to accumulate a lot of loot. Who had all their seven characters geared with perfect gear around Module 3? Very few, if any. As time passed by, players slowly caught up the development cycle (which was slowing down anyway) and many reached a point where they had "all they wanted" and then quit.

Thus, if loot was a factor it is for reasons totally opposed to what you said.

I have a better marketing strategy: Create the same context that you had in Mod 3 (with looting rush) with mod 9.
Tharagrim's latest announced (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=2134096#post2134096) hints that they reached the same conclusion I reached shortly after Module 6: there is no incentive to run normal quests and thus the content's replayability is greatly diminished, or "wasted" if you prefer.

One of Kate's comment in an interview this summer suggest that they were aware of the problem before that but used the wrong technique to solve it. She said something around the lines of "Players told us that the game had become too raid oriented so we will add more six man quests in Module 8 and no raid."

Thus, the Dragontouched crafting was probably an attempt at making six man quests more replayable.

This does not support your theory, however.

"word of mouth is the best advertising" players have not said to there friends "I play DDO but you shouldnt because if you dont have w/p rapiers theres no point because your toon will not be viable in the game."
In fact, they will.

If the game is too newbie unfriendly, players will not suggest their friends to try it out.

Degrading the Loot degrades the players work and the game and a degraded game is not going to sell better.
Non-sequitur. It does not follow that degrading old loot will degrade the game.

FluffyCalico
04-09-2009, 05:22 AM
1) Just because you are sad when it rains does not mean it rains because you are sad

2) When players find a use for a weapon that the devs did not anticipate or realise the importance of they un-break it.

3) Subscriptions peaked when mod 1 was released (dropped like a rock) not mod 4

4) Power gamers represent a tiny percentage of the population not the majority and are less profitable because they eat more bandwidth and server resources do to increased play time

Borror0
04-09-2009, 05:35 AM
There needs to be a way to bring people back to the excitment of the random looting. I don't mean bound raid loot or bound tomes. I mean goign out in an explorer area and winning the lottery type stuff. I don't think there should be any one or two highly over powered items like W/P was, but there needs to be stuff that gets the blood pumping, cause currently there just isn't.
Turbine has two ways of doing this:

Improve their loot tables, significantly
Add named items to quests (or tokens in chest to trade for named items)

In the short term, the option #1 is most time-consuming while option #2 is the least. Of course, that's depending on the number of chests but most likely that's the case. In the long run, option #1 is most definitively the less time-consuming of the two.

From the looks of it, Turbine chose that option #2 was the best for Module 9.