PDA

View Full Version : Master/Superior Stances for monks?

Borror0
04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I see no mention of these in the release notes. Were they pushed back to a later release?

Eladrin
04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Accursed "Enhancements that were made long ago but unavailable due to requirements and thus weren't flagged as Mod 9 Release Notes"!

These include:
Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +4 Arrows (lvl 17) ("Activate this ability to conjure a stack of +4 Returning Arrows.")
Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +5 Arrows (lvl 20) ("Activate this ability to conjure a stack of +5 Returning Arrows.")
Cleric Divine Might IV (lvl 20) ("Activate this ability to gain a +8 Sacred bonus to damage for one minute. Consumes a use of your turn undead ability. Requires a 20 base Charisma.")
Monk Grandmaster of Storms (Lvl 18) ("The wind is untouchable, as are you. Requires Dexterity 18.")
Monk Grandmaster of Mountains (Lvl 18) ("The mountain is eternal, as are you. Requires Constitution 18.")
Monk Grandmaster of the Sun (Lvl 18) ("The sun burns with an eternal fire, as do you. Requires Strength 18.")
Monk Grandmaster of Oceans (Lvl 18) ("The sea is always in motion, as are you. Requires Wisdom 18.")
Paladin Exalted Smite IV (lvl 18) ("Using this attack, you call on the paladin's ability to strike down evil creatures, gaining twice your Charisma bonus to your attack roll, a damage bonus based on your paladin level, and +2 to your weapon's critical threat range and damage multiplier. This enhancement also decreases your cooldown between smites to 2 seconds.")
Paladin Redemption III (lvl 19) ("Activate this ability and expend one use of Lay on Hands to true resurrect the dead, returning your target to life at 100% health.")
Paladin Divine Sacrifice III (lvl 19) ("Giving up some of your life force to win the battle, you empower your next blow against your foe. This attack deals an additional 9d6 Light damage and increases the critical multiplier of your weapon by 1, but costs you 5 hp and 1 sp, whether or not the attack is successful.")
Paladin Divine Might IV (lvl 20) ("Activate this ability to gain a +8 Sacred bonus to damage for one minute. Consumes a use of your turn undead ability. Requires a 20 base Charisma.")
Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +5 Arrows (lvl 18) ("Activate this ability to conjure a stack of +5 Returning Arrows.")

Subenhancements of the Monk set are:
Ultimate Wind Stance: The wind stance focuses on movement, granting increased Dexterity and melee and thrown attack speed at the cost of reducing your Constitution while the stance is active. (15% Enhancement Bonus to attack speed; 10% Insight Bonus to attack speed; +4 Dex; -2 Con)
Storm Strike IV: You strike an opponent, backed with the power of lightning. Your attack will deal 3d6 additional lightning damage, with an additional 3d6 damage on critical hits.

Ultimate Mountain Stance: The mountain stance focuses on endurance and defense, granting increased Constitution, damage reduction, and improved blocking ability at the cost of reducing your Dexterity and movement speed. While in mountain stance, you generate Ki when struck by opponents. (+4 Blocking DR; DR 8/-; +1 Ki on Get Hit; +5 Ki on Get Crit; -2 Dex; +4 Con; -7% Run Speed)
Strike of the Enduring IV: You strike an opponent, backed with the strength of the earth. Your attack deals 12 additional damage, and 3d6 acid damage on critical hits.

Ultimate Sun Stance: The sun stance focuses on an aggressive offense, granting increased Strength at the cost of decreased Wisdom. While in sun stance, you generate additional Ki when you successfully strike opponents. (+1 Ki on Hit; +5 Ki on Crit; +4 Str; -2 Wis)
Fires of Purity IV: You strike an opponent, backed with the power of flame. Your attack will deal 3d6 additional fire damage, with an additional 3d6 damage on critical hits.

Ultimate Ocean Stance: The ocean stance focuses on redirection and the supernatural, granting increased Wisdom and saves at the cost of decreased Strength. While in ocean stance, you receive a bonus to armor class while tumbling. (+8 AC when tumbling; +5 to Saves; -2 Str; +4 Wis)
Flowing Water Strike IV: You strike an opponent, backed with the power of the sea. Your attack will deal 3d6 additional cold damage, with an additional 3d6 damage on critical hits.

Ustice
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info, Eladrin. :)

Jay203
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Cleric Divine Might IV [/B](lvl 20) ("Activate this ability to gain a +8 Sacred bonus to damage for one minute. Consumes a use of your turn undead ability. Requires a 20 base Charisma.")

"Cleric" divine might?
where's the paladin divine might?!

Trillea
04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
"Cleric" divine might?
where's the paladin divine might?!

Paladin Divine Might IV (lvl 20) ("Activate this ability to gain a +8 Sacred bonus to damage for one minute. Consumes a use of your turn undead ability. Requires a 20 base Charisma.")

Borror0
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Accursed "Enhancements that were made long ago but unavailable due to requirements and thus weren't flagged as Mod 9 Release Notes"!
Cool. Thank you.

Are those, with the ones listed in the release notes, the only enhancements we will see in module 9?

Jay203
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM

hush!! :p:p:p:p:p

Thrudh
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Strike of the Enduring IV: You strike an opponent, backed with the strength of the earth. Your attack deals 12 additional damage, and 3d6 acid damage on critical hits.

That's some fairly decent DPS right there... 12 extra damage on every single hit, untyped...

Deuce
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey Eladrin, any word on if Monk Finishing Moves will still pull you out of Combat Expertise or similar stances or not?

rimble
04-08-2009, 11:33 AM
That's some fairly decent DPS right there... 12 extra damage on every single hit, untyped...

Yup, my Halflings gonna need a BIG Con tome!

This is what I expected, but I'm still a little disappointed they just continued to scale the same way...too many higher-level baddies have innate energy resistance and 3d6 is easily ignored...and additional critical damage on a 19-20/x2 punch isn't all that interesting...Earth is extremely by far the best strikes.

Oh wait, I think you misunderstand...it's not on every single hit...it's a clicky attack...but you can click Earth 4, Earth 3, Earth 2, Earth 1 and cycle through them practically non-stop if you can keep the Ki flowing...

Jay203
04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Yup, my Halflings gonna need a BIG Con tome!

This is what I expected, but I'm still a little disappointed they just continued to scale the same way...too many higher-level baddies have innate energy resistance and 3d6 is easily ignored...and additional critical damage on a 19-20/x2 punch isn't all that interesting...Earth is extremely by far the best strikes.

Oh wait, I think you misunderstand...it's not on every single hit...it's a clicky attack...but you can click Earth 4, Earth 3, Earth 2, Earth 1 and cycle through them practically non-stop if you can keep the Ki flowing...

gonna love the intimimonk idea now :)

EDIT: oh wait... need to fix it to a 18 monk format =(

RavenStormclaw
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I always wondered why the 5,12,19 breakdown on divine sacrafice? It never really made any sense to me. Seems 5,10, 15 or 6,12,18 would be better. I'll live with my choices but was hoping to get divine sac three but won't be able to because of the 2 rogue levels I took. Anyway just wondering why and if any possibility of changing?

Arkat
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Wind Stance: The wind stance focuses on movement, granting increased Dexterity and melee and thrown attack speed at the cost of reducing your Constitution while the stance is active. (15% Enhancement Bonus to attack speed; 10% Insight Bonus to attack speed; +4 Dex; -2 Con)

This so **** cool I can BARELY contain myself!! :D:):D:):D

Borror0
04-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Added the enhancements at the bottom of the release notes, on their Compendium.

RioRussell
04-08-2009, 12:06 PM
don't want to derail this thread, but does anyone know if the mountain stance DR stacks with WF DR?

Borror0
04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
don't want to derail this thread, but does anyone know if the mountain stance DR stacks with WF DR?
Does not stack, since you'd have to be centered for that. ;) It would not stack even it would not uncenter you, though.

I wonder if Eladrin investigate the possibility of making a portion of Mountain Stance's DR stack with other passive DR bonuses (a bit like he made a portion of Wind Stance stack with Haste by making a portion of the bonus an Insight bonus). Stoneskin is a very common buff now and a level 20 monk will have Perfect Self, for a permanent DR 10/epic. Thus, the DR 8/- from Mountain Stance comes in effect very rarely.

It's not like Mountain Stance is a very powerful stance anyway.

baddax
04-08-2009, 12:42 PM
dang now got to dig my monk out of mothballs to see if i got the required Base 18 stats for the ultimate stances!

if so im very happy with the ultimate stances!

if not come on +4 con tomes! lol

The_Ick
04-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Am I correct in ready that a monk with thi stance on will have a +35% attach speed?

If so, that is pretty cool.

Borror0
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Am I correct in ready that a monk with thi stance on will have a +35% attach speed?
If by that you mean Haste + Ultimate Wind Stance, yes.

Perhaps it's more since Eladrin hinted that the percentages were in time/swing rather than in swing/time.

rimble
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM

If so, that is pretty cool.

Really, they'll be +10% like everyone else, since Haste is usually on. Instead of nerfing Tempest they're bringing everyone else up to 10% apparently...pretty rude Fighters get it last and have to be pure.

Gordo
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
would a feat ability point bonus affect your ability to take an enhancement or only base points plus tomes?

I have 18 in all but one (15 plus a +2 tome on the last one so not really too worried about getting to 18...) so knowing this would be nice.

Thanks

rimble
04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
would a feat ability point bonus affect your ability to take an enhancement or only base points plus tomes?

I have 18 in all but one (15 plus a +2 tome on the last one so not really too worried about getting to 18...) so knowing this would be nice.

Not feat bonus, i.e from an Enhancement. Base + Level Ups + Tomes.

Gordo
04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
OK. worst case I take the ability point at level 20 right?

rimble
04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
OK. worst case I take the ability point at level 20 right?

Sure. We don't know how available they will be, but we have seen +4 tomes, so you can bet they'll be out there in some regard.

Borror0
04-08-2009, 01:10 PM
[...] pretty rude Fighters get it last and have to be pure.
True. They are also the ones loosing most DPS by not taking their DPS line, which is another bad thing.

Gordo
04-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Well even a +3 tome will get me to 18 in that last stat so I'm not worried. Worst case, I'll take the level 20 free ability point.

Aesop
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Does not stack, since you'd have to be centered for that. ;) It would not stack even it would not uncenter you, though.

I wonder if Eladrin investigate the possibility of making a portion of Mountain Stance's DR stack with other passive DR bonuses (a bit like he made a portion of Wind Stance stack with Haste by making a portion of the bonus an Insight bonus). Stoneskin is a very common buff now and a level 20 monk will have Perfect Self, for a permanent DR 10/epic. Thus, the DR 8/- from Mountain Stance comes in effect very rarely.

It's not like Mountain Stance is a very powerful stance anyway.

I like it. I love it

I want more of it

Aesop

MrCow
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Stoneskin is a very common buff now and a level 20 monk will have Perfect Self, for a permanent DR 10/epic. Thus, the DR 8/- from Mountain Stance comes in effect very rarely.

For the intimi-monks who did a splash of rogue/fighter, this stance has some value being they don't get Perfect Self.

Borror0
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
For the intimi-monks who did a splash of rogue/fighter, this stance has some value being they don't get Perfect Self.
Still a fairly weak stance, though.

Delt
04-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Mmmm, looks like my 6 ranger/9 monk is getting queued for a reroll.