PDA

View Full Version : why stop here...

Clay
04-08-2009, 10:38 AM
from the release notes: (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Release_Notes_Lamannia_Update_9.0_Official#Combat_ Improvements)

Ability damage now regenerates at a rate of 1 point of each ability score per minute.
Negative levels fade at a rate of 1 per 2 minutes.

why stop here... why not just simply give all of us inherent troll regeneration?

If you want to save us the "hassle" of sucking back lesser restore pots, UMDing or having party member cast restoration or greater restoration...

why not just take away our need to use healing pots as well? I can imagine several bbns (Mirta @ 1000 comes to mind) who would appreciate not having the hassle of sucking back all those cure serious pots.

so much for needing to be prepared ... I guess readiness is not all... being un-ready will get you by too!

Aspenor
04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I saw no reason for them to change the way negative levels and stat damage work.

Deuce
04-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I saw no reason for them to change the way negative levels and stat damage work.

Same...too much of an 'easy' button. I'm not that fired up about the transmuting or WoP changes, but I do think that this change was kind of a 'Huh? Why?" change.

Memnir
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Sadly, dumbing down a game is perceived as smart business strategy. This, I am fairly confidant in guessing, is part of an internal initiative to make DDO more casual friendly... more easy to grasp and manage for the WoW crowd. I know many people are crowing about the WP adjustment as being the removal of an "easy button" - but they let changes like this pass by. And to my mind - the easy removal of stat/neg level damage is as much as, if not more so, an "easy button" direction for the game to travel down now.

Let's put Curse on a timer now, while we're at it.
Why not Blindness?
How about getting Enervated down to negative levels just stunning now?

That is what the Mod 9 Item is gonna be...

....http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/easybutton-vi.jpg

Enter quest, equip, gain XP.

Jay203
04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
i think the stats regen is geared mostly toward those that solo and get drained down to helplessness (which means you can't drink pots)
so that's a bit helpful
don't agree with the neg lvl part tho, chances are we're going to have people waiting to regen their neg lvl before continuing with quest =_=

Aspenor
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
i think the stats regen is geared mostly toward those that solo and get drained down to helplessness (which means you can't drink pots)
so that's a bit helpful
don't agree with the neg lvl part tho, chances are we're going to have people waiting to regen their neg lvl before continuing with quest =_=

That's the dangers of soloing, IMHO. It's bad for the game if people can just solo to wherever they want, and go afk and grab a smoke whenever they get a few negative levels....

Thrudh
04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree this was an unneeded change..

brlftz
04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
this makes sense combined with something they're not telling us...something about the foes we'll be facing...?

Impaqt
04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
I have no idea why people are getting up in arms over this change....

You think people are going to stop carrying lessor restore pots because they can wait around 10 minutes to recoup 10 points of stat damage?

You think people are going to say "Hey, I got 2 neg levels, I'm gonna go afk for 5 minutes to let these go away"?

Guess what, Half the population doesnt carry Lessor Restore pots anyway...... If had a nickel every time some said "I got stat damage" I'd be a rich cleric.... and I'm tired of hearing "I just ran out" after I told em "Lessor restore comes in Pots"

From now on, I can say "It'll go away, or drink a pot" and not have to worry about it much.

Last time I checked, there is no easy way for most characters to fix their own negative levels. I never wory about one neg level.. Even two I'll sometimes lumber through with very little noticeable degradation of my characters. Now they go away after 2 minutes.. Saves a cleric a restore.. Big whoop.

If you are running with people who are going to stop and wait around for neg levels and ability damage to go away on their own thats a pretty good indication that you dont need to group with those people....

Quite frankly, I'm Shocked to hear this complaint from someone from Legion.... You guys have a rep for being aggressive, Efficient, self sufficient, and ruthless when it comes to expressing your displeasure within a party. You mean to tell me your going to Stop and wait around when the random pugger you picked up says he has to stop for 6 minutes so his negative levels go away? Really? Lets be honest here.. Your going to leave him behind, Finish the quest with absolutely no issue, zone out and Drop him like hes hot....

Thelmallen
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
/agreed as well. This change is not needed either. While I agree with the w/p nerf (to a degree), all of the other game changes they've announced for mod9 are making me scratch my head.

Baltire
04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I also agree this change was unneeded, but on the flip side, I dont care about people who are soloing as it doesnt effect me, and when in a party, how many people are going to say "Hey, I got 4 neg lvls, but I'll just wait the 4 mins til they go away"?

So even though I dont think this needed to be changed, it isnt going to change much in the way of game play.

kingfisher
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
the ONLY people this change will effect are brand spanking new players who dont know how to fix this yet. everybody else will play on as normal.

why bother complaining?

Clay
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I have no idea why people are getting up in arms over this change....

You think people are going to stop carrying lessor restore pots because they can wait around 10 minutes to recoup 10 points of stat damage?

You think people are going to say "Hey, I got 2 neg levels, I'm gonna go afk for 5 minutes to let these go away"?

Guess what, Half the population doesnt carry Lessor Restore pots anyway...... If had a nickel every time some said "I got stat damage" I'd be a rich cleric.... and I'm tired of hearing "I just ran out" after I told em "Lessor restore comes in Pots"

From now on, I can say "It'll go away, or drink a pot" and not have to worry about it much.

Last time I checked, there is no easy way for most characters to fix their own negative levels. I never wory about one neg level.. Even two I'll sometimes lumber through with very little noticeable degradation of my characters. Now they go away after 2 minutes.. Saves a cleric a restore.. Big whoop.

If you are running with people who are going to stop and wait around for neg levels and ability damage to go away on their own thats a pretty good indication that you dont need to group with those people....

Quite frankly, I'm Shocked to hear this complaint from someone from Legion.... You guys have a rep for being aggressive, Efficient, self sufficient, and ruthless when it comes to expressing your displeasure within a party. You mean to tell me your going to Stop and wait around when the random pugger you picked up says he has to stop for 6 minutes so his negative levels go away? Really? Lets be honest here.. Your going to leave him behind, Finish the quest with absolutely no issue, zone out and Drop him like hes hot....

True enough Impaqt... but If you cannot see a growing trend to make the game Dumb and Dumber's DDO then you need to take the blinders off.

Memnir
04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Quite frankly, I'm Shocked to hear this complaint from someone from Legion.... You guys have a rep for being aggressive, Efficient, self sufficient, and ruthless when it comes to expressing your displeasure within a party. You mean to tell me your going to Stop and wait around when the random pugger you picked up says he has to stop for 6 minutes so his negative levels go away? Really? Lets be honest here.. Your going to leave him behind, Finish the quest with absolutely no issue, zone out and Drop him like hes hot....All true.
However, myself and many other Legion members will tell them why they are being left behind (buy Lesser Restore pots - we aren't waiting for you to timer-heal). We try to inform them on how to up their game and become better players. Information is power.

Now, many players will have no incentive to actually buy the potions because they can just sit there and timer-heal. With this change, the impetus to improve is going away - the learning curve becomes meaningless.

Yaga_Nub
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Is there any other MMO that works this way? I think that might have some influence on a change like this.

Borror0
04-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Now, many players will have no incentive to actually buy the potions because they can just sit there and timer-heal.
True but the consequence is still the same: stay back and be bored.

Aspenor
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Is there any other MMO that works this way? I think that might have some influence on a change like this.

Your guess is as good as mine, Yaga. I don't play other MMO's. All I know is that we're lucky that, when resting, we don't have to make a fortitude save or lose levels permanently. ;)

GunboatDiplomat
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I think this change is a bad idea too, it goes against the spirit of dnd and ddo as one of the things that sets us aprt from other mmos is you have to heal yourself or get healed for negative effects to go away. (Err, or stand in a pub) Its an important part of the challenge and it fosters teamwork.

Gornn
04-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Same...too much of an 'easy' button. I'm not that fired up about the transmuting or WoP changes, but I do think that this change was kind of a 'Huh? Why?" change.

I think this has less to do with us, and more to do with monsters.

Consider how WoPs now work. If you WoP the the creatures in Rwtd and they're helpless at 0 con...knowing that their con will regenerate and they may come back and chase you is incentive for you to kill them while they're stunned.

This regeneration prevents you from just WoPing everything, leaving it helpless, and then running past it without killnig it.

Thrudh
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
the ONLY people this change will effect are brand spanking new players who dont know how to fix this yet. everybody else will play on as normal.

why bother complaining?

Good point... although I don't like the "dumbing down" aspect either...

But you're right... nothing will change in 99% of groups, and this does help my ranger/wizard when he's soloing... The only thing he can't do is restore neg levels (and sometimes I forget to put on my silver amulet)

Gadget2775
04-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Or maybe it's aimed at newcomers who aren't rich....

POV: Every now and again I get this crazy idea of rolling an alt without Twinking, dear gods it's miserable. A small stack of lesser restore pots can break the bank, and there are a lot of quest out there that cause stat damage.

Personally I don't really care...If someone gets neg leveled while I'm clericing I'll still cast Restore. If they take stat damage I'll probably cast Restore...Course I might point and laugh :eek:, but probably not.

BlackSteel
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
i like this change, and its not going to impact anyone complaining one bit

kingfisher
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I think this has less to do with us, and more to do with monsters.

Consider how WoPs now work. If you WoP the the creatures in Rwtd and they're helpless at 0 con...knowing that their con will regenerate and they may come back and chase you is incentive for you to kill them while they're stunned.

This regeneration prevents you from just WoPing everything, leaving it helpless, and then running past it without killnig it.

good point, and since it WONT effect the majority of the players out there and WILL help a few lost and immobilized n00bs, there was no reasons for the devs to not do this. it seems like a good change to me

BlackSteel
04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
ran deleras with a hireling cleric today and several new players. Since my char is WF i've been neglecting to buy restore pots. But in a party of 4 new players, how can u expect them to afford a stack of lesser restore, or even know where to buy them? Yes you could tell them where to pick them up, but chances are, they could only afford 1-5.

but back to the story, 4/6 members of the party had str damage down to helplessness during p4 necro. The two veteran players had to clear the way to the shrine so that people could rest off the stat damage.

yes experienced players will have pots
yes most groups/players WILL NOT wait around for someone to regen a few stat points

really just sounds like alot of you just want to throw up your arms about something

cry babies

Borror0
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Good point... although I don't like the "dumbing down" aspect either...
Could someone explain me what is meant there and why it is bad? I don't get that argument but hear it often.

joker965
04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Well,

In the spirit of the actual rules the negative levels from enervation were never supposed to be a permanent thing.

Beholders are X100 overpowered still. Why is this a big deal?

Thrudh
04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Could someone explain me what is meant there and why it is bad? I don't get that argument but hear it often.

"dumbing-down" is bad because WE had to walk uphill in the snow both ways, and so should the newbies!!!

Hmm.. how to explain... There's a fine balance between making a game too hard and too easy... Why don't I like "too easy"? I'm not sure... No challenge? No pride in mastering the details? Hmm...

I like being self-sufficient... Hard consequences make others self-sufficient as well... Soft consequences may not...

I still remember the first time I was cursed and blinded (especially blinded!!). I made SURE to always carry remove curse and blindness potions after that.

D&D has always catered to the detail-oriented crowd... MMOs cater more to the easy-going crowd...

I guess there has to be a balance in-between... I just don't want it to swing to far in the easy button MMO direction.

Clay
04-08-2009, 12:20 PM
cry babies

nice to see mature constructive addition to ongoing discussions.

/salute.

btw how is it cheaper to save on restore pots... when you use far fewer of them than cures... when you still have to use cures? you think Mr. Newtothegame is going to have stacks of cure pots??

Giving all of us a blanket regen is exactly inline with what you are supporting, so how is my suggestion being a crybaby? Or are you too superior to the rest of us to actually read the posts and craft a non-derogatory reply?

And you know what? Those veteran players started with nothing also.

Impaqt
04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
True enough Impaqt... but If you cannot see a growing trend to make the game Dumb and Dumber's DDO then you need to take the blinders off.

Sure I see it. I just dont see how its effective ME as a power gamer. All I see is that its opening up the game to more casual gamers. If that means I have to be exposed to a couple not so on top of their game players every once in a while, so be it. The learning curve in this game is STEEP. Allowing new players more time to acclamate and improve their game before just throwing in the towel is better for the game as a whole.

Oh no! Some newb was able to Solo Waterworks! big whoop.... the regen effects me in no way shape or form other than provide an opertunity for me to educate people on how to FIx it themself, Wait around and be bored, or Deal with the reduced levels/Stats.

We can have a game that caters to Power Gamers with a terminally low population, or we can have a game that appeals to the masses with new blood coming in all the time.the more people that try out the game the more competant players we are going to have in the end game.

Darth_Sizzle
04-08-2009, 12:24 PM
i Think This Has Less To Do With Us, And More To Do With Monsters.

Qft

Borror0
04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
"dumbing-down" is bad because WE had to walk uphill in the snow both ways, and so should the newbies!!!
Obviously, that's not a very compelling argument for Turbine. If the game's learning curve is too steep, bad things happen (http://is.gd/rrvX).

There's a fine balance between making a game too hard and too easy...
This will barely affect you or I. It removes a little bit of annoyance (ie I'll tolerate a neg level or two on the way to Hound rather than ask for a Restoration) but that's about all it does for most of us. It does not really make the game "more easy".

Hard consequences make others self-sufficient as well... Soft consequences may not...
One minute is a very long time in DDO. One minute per negative level sounds correctly balanced to me.

I still remember the first time I was cursed and blinded (especially blinded!!). I made SURE to always carry remove curse and blindness potions after that.
You were hit with 4 negative levels. Do you really want to wait 4 minutes? I would not.

Slink
04-08-2009, 12:37 PM
One thing I have pondered considering all of the changes and what-not:

Even though alot of the changes seem absurd and out of context. Perhaps some of the new encounters will contains mobs wielding stat damaging weapons? This is the only reason I can justify the changes that have been made. Maybe I'm wrong and it certainly wouldnt be the first time.

I for one, have always appreciated a challenge. Yet even with numerous posts by devs stating that some of the "ignored content" was within our capabilities to complete, 90% of the populace gave up anyways. Doesnt make sense to say you dont like the "dumbing-down" aspect yet content is defined as being "broken" or "too hard."

So, what if the new content has devils toting +5 greensteel WOP spears? You think you would feel the same?

Murgatroyd
04-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Before:
1. If you get negative levels fighting a beholder, I'll fix you up.
2. If you get negative levels fighting something else, I'll fix you up but tell you to go run Tangleroot and get the Flesh Render Visor.
3. If you get stat damaged, I'll tell you to drink a pot.

Now:
1-3 are the same
4. If you get stat damaged or neg leveled and wait around, I'll tell you off.

It bugs me to no end seeing level 16's not carrying some potions.

I remember when the game first came out, the only way to get rid of a curse was to drink a pot or have someone cast remove curse on you. Now that was hardcore :D

Thrudh
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I remember when the game first came out, the only way to get rid of a curse was to drink a pot or have someone cast remove curse on you. Now that was hardcore :D

No, hardcore was being blinded by the necromancer in STK, and having to recall out and then try to make it to the Tavern, where you hoped to find a cleric to cure you.... (All of us went searching through the Marketplace tent for a cure blindness potion after that)

:)

Remember how awesome Tangleroot was when you discovered you could make Remove Blindness and Cure Serious potions for FREE!!! I collected a LOT of those petals back in the day... (not to mention getting a +3 Stat item as a end-reward!!!)

BlackSteel
04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
nice to see mature constructive addition to ongoing discussions.

/salute.

btw how is it cheaper to save on restore pots... when you use far fewer of them than cures... when you still have to use cures? you think Mr. Newtothegame is going to have stacks of cure pots??

Giving all of us a blanket regen is exactly inline with what you are supporting, so how is my suggestion being a crybaby? Or are you too superior to the rest of us to actually read the posts and craft a non-derogatory reply?

And you know what? Those veteran players started with nothing also.

not sure why you brought up cure pots, was that b/c someone was being sarcastic about putting passive regen in the game?

yes we all started with nothing, but for alot of us its been a long long while. Remember having to take a backseat in quests b/c you can cure yourself because you're too broke? Or being unable to contribute like the guy beside you b/c you're using a +1 weapon while they're smacking stuff down with a +1 frost anarchic great axe? (the weapon one is cool, and makes you envious, but then you go look on the AH and realize it would take you all week to farm enough gold for a +1 elemental weapon)

hp regen is not stat regen, hp is going to determine whether you finish the quest or not. Finish or wipe and try again. Being left incapable of doing anything is frustrating and turns people off real fast. and at low levels even a small amount of stat damage can be debilitating. I really felt bad for the new guys I dragged thru necromancer who had to stand behind me and watch while I cleared the way to the shrine. Its both embarassing and boring.

Not to mention even the highest regen item in the game right now is painfully slow. And would be painfully slow even on a level 1 character. Wouldnt make any sense to throw that in there, considering in order to use that to effectively beat a quest would make the quest last exponentially long.

eonfreon
04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
For the Experienced Players and Powergamers this isn't going to change much if anything.
They already are prepared to deal with these debilitating effects and 99.9% won't have the patience to just "wait it out" anyway.
Yes, this does make it a lot easier for any new players and they won't have to walk up the snow naked 10 miles both ways.
Okay, this is where the true balance comes in:
How to make it easy enough for new/casual players without making it too easy for more experienced/well geared players.
Since this really has no effect on those that already know quicker and better ways to deal with this, I don't see this as a bad thing at all.
The only ones truly affected by this would be PermaDeathers. They now have a Non-PnP rule pretty much forced on them. Becasue now, regardless of if they have the supplies to handle these situations the situation will go away on it's own. Of course a PDer is free to /death if they hit 0 Con in protest, but nothing he can do to not regain levels.
But Turbine cannot be expected to worry overmuch about a rather small subset of it's player base, unfair or not.
Yes a very large change in a fundamental PnP rule. But little negative effect IMHO.

Missing_Minds
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM

I disagree with half of your statement, and not in the way it changed.

Negative levels have been DOUBLE penalizing us for a long time. A negative level doesn't just knock you once, it knocks you twice, and it has for a LONG time. Do the math if you don't believe me. I already have.

And I'm willing to bet this change to negative levels going away still won't fix the double penalty issue, but at least I won't be suffering it for a long time period now.

Elaril
04-08-2009, 02:12 PM
why stop here... why not just simply give all of us inherent troll regeneration?

If you want to save us the "hassle" of sucking back lesser restore pots, UMDing or having party member cast restoration or greater restoration...

why not just take away our need to use healing pots as well? I can imagine several bbns (Mirta @ 1000 comes to mind) who would appreciate not having the hassle of sucking back all those cure serious pots.

so much for needing to be prepared ... I guess readiness is not all... being un-ready will get you by too!

I guess this is a bit off topic, but I saw the title and decided to go with it. Why stop where you did devs? Why should con damage not kill us and monsters, but negative levels do? It actually makes more sense, thematically, to make negative levels non-lethal than it does constitution.

SableShadow
04-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Sure I see it. I just dont see how its effective ME as a power gamer. All I see is that its opening up the game to more casual gamers. If that means I have to be exposed to a couple not so on top of their game players every once in a while, so be it. The learning curve in this game is STEEP. Allowing new players more time to acclamate and improve their game before just throwing in the towel is better for the game as a whole.

Oh no! Some newb was able to Solo Waterworks! big whoop.... the regen effects me in no way shape or form other than provide an opertunity for me to educate people on how to FIx it themself, Wait around and be bored, or Deal with the reduced levels/Stats.

We can have a game that caters to Power Gamers with a terminally low population, or we can have a game that appeals to the masses with new blood coming in all the time.the more people that try out the game the more competant players we are going to have in the end game.

Well said. I just don't see any way this changes my playstyle or frees up my inventory. 50 lesser pots, 100 restore scrolls, plus a silver flame necky for beholders.

As far as monsters, sure, things get a little more complicated in those few quests where it is better to get a mission kill rather than flat out put them down, and maybe soloing Kobold elite just got a bit harder, but really, we'll just adapt...same as any other mod.

BlackSteel
04-08-2009, 02:16 PM

/cheer

Junts
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Well,

In the spirit of the actual rules the negative levels from enervation were never supposed to be a permanent thing.

Beholders are X100 easy as hell still. Why is this a big deal?

edited for truth

Kalari
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Honestly I can see the argument against this because even now you have people who expect clerics to bandaid everything. Im sorry but seeing people get raid ready who still dont bother with their own pots for immunities and resists gets annoying after awhile. And with this many vets wont bother now even more so. Im not worried about new players the old way at least taught them that theres not always gonna be a cleric about so you have to learn to help yourself. Now im wondering how many new players will be led to believe that potions are a waste of time and that they should either wait for a cleric or just wait instead?

Dont like it sorry

Ironforge_Clan
04-08-2009, 02:25 PM
That Is What The Mod 9 Item Is Gonna Be...

....http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/enpsyane/easybutton-vi.jpg

Enter Quest, Equip, Gain Xp.

Qft

Clay
04-08-2009, 08:05 PM
This solution of regeneration of negative effects will only exacerbate the unpreparedness of many new people.

I enjoy mentoring and when doing so advise new people to avoid spending all their money on ah weapons. make sure you have: blunt for skellies, slashing for zombies, a shield of some sort, remove curse/blindness/lesser restore and some heal/repair pots. I have done no-twinking permadeath and approached the game the same way.

Where is the sense of accomplishment if everything is easy to achieve? And how does it affect power gamers? The people who are not learning how to play the game, how to be prepared, how to mitigate damage taken, etc, are reaching end game with out appropriate skills. The game has evolved and changed over the 3 years I have been playing, and mostly changed for the better. However making the game easier and easier; making it more and more like other MMOs seems counter intuitive to me. The whole reason I chose this game and still enjoy it (aside from LAG) is the fact that it was different, that it didn't assume I have the problem solving skills of an amoeba.

Mithran
04-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I've been frequently annoyed by the characters who don't have a Pendant of the Silver Flame in Hound runs. Now, when they complain about negative levels and I'm on my low-Charisma Cleric, I'll tell them it'll go away.

Impaqt
04-08-2009, 08:23 PM
This solution of regeneration of negative effects will only exacerbate the unpreparedness of many new people.

I enjoy mentoring and when doing so advise new people to avoid spending all their money on ah weapons. make sure you have: blunt for skellies, slashing for zombies, a shield of some sort, remove curse/blindness/lesser restore and some heal/repair pots. I have done no-twinking permadeath and approached the game the same way.

Where is the sense of accomplishment if everything is easy to achieve? And how does it affect power gamers? The people who are not learning how to play the game, how to be prepared, how to mitigate damage taken, etc, are reaching end game with out appropriate skills. The game has evolved and changed over the 3 years I have been playing, and mostly changed for the better. However making the game easier and easier; making it more and more like other MMOs seems counter intuitive to me. The whole reason I chose this game and still enjoy it (aside from LAG) is the fact that it was different, that it didn't assume I have the problem solving skills of an amoeba.

Well Clay, the "Other" games have Populations 2...3...10times bigger than ours...

They are doing something right.....

I dont understand still... Why would this change how you mentor someone? Seems to me it would just add one more sentence to whatever your telling them abou tstat damage or level drains...

"Sure, you can wait out the stat damage or Negative levels, but its much better to correct the damage as soon as posible with a lessor restore potion"

Or

"Sure, you can wait out your negative levels, but its much better to prevent them from occuring inteh first place by wearing a silver flame necklace orMaking sure Death Ward is active from your tangleroot Clicky"

Good Players WILL "Get it" Bad players, Regardless of whether or not this stuff regens will not.

Medic11
04-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I agree. Not too fond of this change. I like the challenge the game presents at times, especially when I was new to the game. That was part of the fun. Now it seems like the Dev's will be holding your hand as you move towards cap. Boooooooooo.

Tarnoc
04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
well i dont see this as even affecting the game other then to bring us new blood(ie money ) for new content

and for the whiners who say they carry this and that
ive pugged with alot of you all and your members and have used greater restores on many of you as you dont have silver flame ammys and given out heals to a person with full hps to fix stat damage

im tired of everone whining about self suffient yet they all like my own meellee need back up

true dnd has always been a team game so stop the whining and play like one....

and this is also true for a caster who expects freedoms but wont give out gh ***?

~Zornochio
04-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Well Clay, the "Other" games have Populations 2...3...10times bigger than ours...

Yes, but I'm sure a lot of the people that are not happy about this change do not play those other games :), we play DDO because it is doing something different.

It may only be a minor issue (and only to a small part of the population), but I still don't like it. It's not anywhere near a big enough gripe for me to go find some other game to play but the direction some of the changes have taken lately have chipped away at some of the fun I have in DDO.

There is a good chance that this will not effect me at all (and could even be beneficial by keeping more new players in the game), but I'm still concerned with the game moving too much in the direction of other MMO's. That whole slippery slope thing.

Impaqt
04-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Yes, but I'm sure a lot of the people that are not happy about this change do not play those other games :), we play DDO because it is doing something different.

It may only be a minor issue (and only to a small part of the population), but I still don't like it. It's not anywhere near a big enough gripe for me to go find some other game to play but the direction some of the changes have taken lately have chipped away at some of the fun I have in DDO.

There is a good chance that this will not effect me at all (and could even be beneficial by keeping more new players in the game), but I'm still concerned with the game moving too much in the direction of other MMO's. That whole slippery slope thing.

A Slippery Uphill slope?

Goodness.. People. You act like Turbine has no right to try to attact more paying customers..... DDO has one HUGE difference over any other MMO out there.. Real honest to goodness Real-time combat.

It quite obvious that keeping cose to PnP Was the original Goal of the game. its also quite obvious that expectations fell WAY short. We have a good population, but its certainly not amazing.... I'm actually more amazed that DDO has lasted as long as it has. For DDO to be Profitable into the future, turbine has to make it more appealing to more people. the easiest way to do that is to make the game easier to get into. easier to start up and easier to play. that doesnt mean it has to be less challenging. we spend a fraction of our online lives as "Lowbies". Getting confortable with the game and getting your characters leveled to the point where they can enjoy the end game is of utmost importance to creating a thriving community.

Clay
04-09-2009, 07:51 AM
You have good points Impact and definitely cause me to ask myself why I feel this way...

but there is a reason that this game has kept me occupied for more than 6 mo. for the first time in my PC gaming life... and that is there was a role for thought and strategy. I thought the tiered nature of lowbie levels was intended to help the learning curve... Lower harbor... upper harbor... marketplace. Now we have the improved NPE and the associated gear from there.